Menu

Possible visual/spatial learner and math curriculum?

rowan25

I've seen MUS recommended for visual-spatial learners. Well, we started with that and my dd6 HATES it. We got halfway through Alpha and stopped. She says she bored and doesn't really understand the block thing. :confused:

After doing some research, I have a sneaky feeling that she may be a visual-spatial learner. Are there other math curricula out there that seem to work for visual-spatial learners? What are your thoughts?

TIA,

rowan

I have one that is at least very visual, probably VSL, and she got so distracted with MUS. So many things to build/use as props :glare:. She does best with Singapore. I've been trying MEP with her and she's been learning, but she doesn't like it as much.

That's what I noticed. She wants to play with the blocks, wear them on her fingers, balance them, etc. And while she's not any more easily distracted than other kids, the blocks do seem to make great toys!

Something else to consider is if there is anything going on besides just being a VSL. Dd8 is VSL and testing also revealed she has "deficient" short term memory. The neuropsych told me this is very typical for this type of learner. She had been happily working through MM, and we both enjoyed it, and she easily understood when new material was introduced. However, every chapter is a different concept and once she began a new chapter then all the other concepts fell out of her head. For example, she did great with the chapter on telling time, but once we moved on to the next chapter, she couldn't even tell the hour hand from the minute hand, despite having been able to tell time to the minute, elapsed time, etc. just a week or two earlier. I just recently switched her to CLE and she's been much more successful due to the "we remember" section of each lesson. There are lots of pictures/graphics to help with understanding, so that helps by eliminating the need for manipulatives that end up being distracting and played with. Hope you find something that works!

Something else to consider is if there is anything going on besides just being a VSL. Dd8 is VSL and testing also revealed she has "deficient" short term memory. The neuropsych told me this is very typical for this type of learner. She had been happily working through MM, and we both enjoyed it, and she easily understood when new material was introduced. However, every chapter is a different concept and once she began a new chapter then all the other concepts fell out of her head. For example, she did great with the chapter on telling time, but once we moved on to the next chapter, she couldn't even tell the hour hand from the minute hand, despite having been able to tell time to the minute, elapsed time, etc. just a week or two earlier. I just recently switched her to CLE and she's been much more successful due to the "we remember" section of each lesson. There are lots of pictures/graphics to help with understanding, so that helps by eliminating the need for manipulatives that end up being distracting and played with. Hope you find something that works!

You know, there could be some of that floating about. I know my husband is like that. He remembers long term things much, much better. But he has always had a problem with short term memory. In fact, the older he gets, the more it scares him. :tongue_smilie:

I have a VSL and we are doing great with Saxon which is not usually recommended for VSLs. He doesn't do the drill sheets but he likes that there are a variety of questions each day. He did MUS beta before we dropped it a quarter of the way through because it was too repetitive. He still uses the blocks though. He doesn't like writing on paper so he either uses the white board or writes on a plastic sheet protector over the page with a wet erase marker.

I have a page about VSLs on my blog that lists other curricula used with VSLs by moms on this board which may help as well.

I have a VSL and we are doing great with Saxon which is not usually recommended for VSLs. He doesn't do the drill sheets but he likes that there are a variety of questions each day. He did MUS beta before we dropped it a quarter of the way through because it was too repetitive. He still uses the blocks though. He doesn't like writing on paper so he either uses the white board or writes on a plastic sheet protector over the page with a wet erase marker.

I have a page about VSLs on my blog that lists other curricula used with VSLs by moms on this board which may help as well.

Oh, thanks! I'll be adding that to my reader. :001_smile:

I've seen MUS recommended for visual-spatial learners. Well, we started with that and my dd6 HATES it. We got halfway through Alpha and stopped. She says she bored and doesn't really understand the block thing. :confused:

After doing some research, I have a sneaky feeling that she may be a visual-spatial learner. Are there other math curricula out there that seem to work for visual-spatial learners? What are your thoughts?

TIA,

rowan

Rowan--

I am using an 1990s version of the textbook Mathematics in Action for first grade (ISBN #0021085013), after my son and I had trouble with Singapore Math 1A. I had used Mathematics in Action as a supplement with my older two girls (who were/are not homeschooled). I really like the early grades Mathematics in Action because it has paper manipulatives made of cardboard in the back of the book and uses them consistently in the text. Mathematics in Action is a great combination of older styles of teaching math with newer manipulative and literature based programs. Unfortunately it is out of print, but you may be able to find copies at Follett Educational Service.

My son is a VSL and is very wiggly. I don't know if your daughter is wiggly or not, but for us that makes a huge difference in what curriculum we can use with him.

When we first started homeschooling, he started out with Singapore. Then about a year later we added Miquon to Singapore. (Those two curriculum go very well together.) Even though he liked them, learned a lot from them, was cruising along just fine, and I liked them -- we had to give them up. It was just way too much seat work, worksheets, and writing for him.

Next we tried MUS, but we had the same struggles you did. Those blocks! LOL

Our newest math curriculum is MEP and we are loving it! We printed out the manipulatives and I laminated everything. He does very well when he has hands on things that he can move around, touch, et c. There are a lot of worksheets that you can print out, but we don't do a lot of seat work, so I haven't printed a lot of those. I have him stand up to do activities, come up to the white board to solve problems, et c. Plus it's FREE! After spending so much money on curriculum that we tried and failed, I was so happy to have found a complete curriculum with a good foundation that was also FREE! :D

Another curriculum that I've heard is good for VSLs is Right Start Math.

Good luck choosing!

Edited by MangoMama