Menu

Has anyone used First Form Latin?

Dolphin

Thank you. I think I am doing something wrong when i search. If I put it as "first form latin" I got no results. If I don't put the quotes I get everything that has first or form or latin in it. I am not tech savvy.

I think as it is so new, not many people have used it first. On the Memoria Press site, it looks like they want people to use first form if they are going to keep going with latin, and Latina Christian 2 if you will be ending afterwards.

If you do the 'advanced search' and you want a specific curriculum, use the "tag search" box (right side, under "search options," right above the "search by forum" section). I saw quite a few people who have used it and even one or two who were using second form (although no one has tagged any posts with that).

I've seen that MP recommends you go into First Form (FF) instead of LC II now. Of the moms on here, some did part or all of LC II before going into FF and felt that the 'extra review' once they got into FF was helpful to solidify things. I don't know that they would recommend it. We're only in Prima Latina this year, so I'm watching the threads for wisdom.

It's not that new, it's been out for about two years, first with Beta testing and then normal purchase.

Probably cuz it's been talked about extensively already, sometimes people get tired of responding to same ol' questions. NOT meaning that to be negative to you in ANY way, since your search didn't work out. But I notice that when questions are asked about once a month, they often do not get the responses they used to get.

We use FFL and love it! Will be doing Second Form next year!

My dd14 started FF last year in Jan with nearly no Latin bkgrd and she has done very well with the curriculum. We've been taking it very slowly and she's nearly done with the curriculum, then we'll move to SF or Henle for ninth grade. I've been very happy with it. You may want to check out the FF Yahoo group. Memoria Press provides a lot of support for the program there.

We are doing Latina Christian 1 this year, and it looks like we can either go into number 2 or to First form latin. Has anyone used these?

Nicole

We have been using FF this year & I like it. It's thorough, moves at a reasonable pace, and incorporates plenty of review. Dd, on the other hand, hates it with the fire of a thousand suns and feels compelled to tell me so every.single.day. She's not the most content of students, but she's never been this consistent about her griping so we're switching to Latin Prep 1 as soon as it arrives.

Edited by Lostinabook

I ADORE FF! It's one of the only curriculums that I have not tweaked, dropped, forgotten to use, had trouble implementing, etc..

My ds did PL, LL1 and the first few lessons of LL2 and also some Minimus in there somewhere. I think it is genius the way they have put it together, little grammar chunks at a time, building into translation. Plus they include diagramming and don't include Roman history, which I am very happy about because I want just Latin. Also, the pages are clean with a lot of white space...if there are sidebars and misc. material on each page, both of us get lost (he and I have a very similar learning style).

Anyhow, the way they have laid out the program makes sense to ds, so he can (mostly) work on his own (he's in 6th grade), although I bought the DVD in case we get stuck. As a matter of fact, it is so well laid out that this week was the first time since we started FF well over a year ago that we had to break out the DVD for the lesson on adjectives.

Each lesson usually has either 4 or 5 pages each week so it's very easy to do a page every day and complete a lesson every week. We do vocabulary and endings memory work on Fridays.

With DS 12 we did PL, LCI, part of LCII and then FFL last year.

With DD10 we did PL, LCI, took some time off and now she is doing FFL.

Based on my experience, I would definitely skip LCII. FFL is a better program and covers most of LCII material in a clearer way. DD10 is doing great with FFL after LCI and the time off. Hope this helps!

Based on my experience, I would definitely skip LCII. FFL is a better program and covers most of LCII material in a clearer way. DD10 is doing great with FFL after LCI and the time off. Hope this helps!

:iagree: My dd is doing LCII this year and it is PAINFUL! Painful as in memorize 50 verbs in 5 lessons all with different conjugations and their four principle parts (4X50). Aaaargh! Hopefully my dd loves Latin enough that she won't learn to hate it but it will be a close shave. I have seen samples of FF and it does look much better. We're moving to Henle next year and will give it a try. I've started doing it myself and it's approach is vastly superior and much more sensible ....