Menu

Suggestions for food to serve after memorial service?

Sliced roast beef or sliced roast turkey in au jus with rolls.

Baked pasta.

Salads.

Fruit and veggie trays.

All of these! These are fairly common and simple things to prepare for such occasions. They feed those that travel and also are generally light enough that those that really are too upset to eat, may still eat without problems.

After my grandmother's funeral, the church provided a meal that had a ham, roast turkey, mashed potatoes, kernal corn, green beans, cornbread, rolls, a pasta salad, a bean salad, a huge lettuce salad, veggie trays, a fruit tray (maybe 2 or 3), a couple of cakes, a couple of pies, ice tea, assorted sodas, bottled water, coffee, and assorted condiments. I also think there were some other veggies as well.

If you are in charge, I would suggest you ask for help and that you ask how many the family anticipates coming to the meal. For my grandmother there were easily 50 people that came to eat by the time you had children, grandchildren, sibilings, spouses, and so on. The church paid for the meats and drinks while volunteers each brought a dish or 2 that was served to us.

These ham sandwiches are yummy, warm and comforting, kids like them, and they are substantial enough to be part of a meal - but not a huge dish. Serve with salads, pasta dishes, fruit, etc.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-ham-sandwiches-ever-358553

If you're looking for main dishes I'd go with lasagna, salad, breadsticks and a big chocolate cake/brownies for dessert.

A typical funeral dinner at our church would consist of:

Roast turkey breasts - a local meat market will sell them to us at discount for this purpose so you might want to ask around.

Rolls

Baked beans or other protein bean dish for vegetarians

Two Huge romaine and spinach salads with chopped carrots and red or green pepper - we put out a vinegarette dressing, a ranch dressing, and an Italian herrb dressing and hope that covers the bases

Carrots, Celery and Dip

One Pasta salad (why I don't know but the old ladies on the kitchen committee always do this, maybe they know that the carbs are comforting. I just don't like them but they always seem to be a hit!)

A bowl of fresh fruit and I usually bring some toasted coconut to sprinkle on top

Desserts vary greatly. Several of the older ladies make white or yellow cakes. If I'm asked to do desserts, I find out if the family will have a lot of children present or not. If lots of children, I make cookies. If not, I bring an apple/cinnamon/ginger crumb cake that is light and yummy.

I've found that many families don't have the desire to eat "heavy" foods but that an awful lot of funderal dinners seem to comprise a lot of greasy and heavily processed foods. So, my friend Christina, the pastor's wife, and I have been trying to reeducate the kitchen committee to lighter, healthier, but yet tasty foods that don't weigh heavily on the gut. We've been getting good comments about the changes.

Faith

I'm on the bereavement committee at our parish (when there's a funeral, we bring food). Most requested: finger sandwiches, casseroles, deviled eggs, potato salad, green salad, brownies, cookies, cakes. Any leftovers are packaged up to send home with the grieving family so they don't have to worry about food for a while.

I've found that many families don't have the desire to eat "heavy" foods but that an awful lot of funderal dinners seem to comprise a lot of greasy and heavily processed foods. So, my friend Christina, the pastor's wife, and I have been trying to reeducate the kitchen committee to lighter, healthier, but yet tasty foods that don't weigh heavily on the gut. We've been getting good comments about the changes.

Faith

What you are doing it great. I think for some grief kills the appetite, but from my families experience the heavy greasy foods are just not foods we eat in general. With the exception of my oldest family members (think age 80+) most of us are trying to eat healthier in general and very much appreciate lighter meals. There are also several mambers of my family that are diabetic and they need lots of veggies and lean proteins at meals. Then my cousin the vegetarian liked having lots to chose from as well.

Good point about remembering the kids. At my grandpa's funeral someone brought lots of small cupcakes they bought at the grocery store for all the little kids. It was such a nice touch to a long dreary day for the kids.

I agree with light foods. Simple appetizer type stuff - fruit, veggies and dip, finger sandwiches, some light salads. Maybe one of two more filling options. I know that until after my parents services (in which I had to speak) I couldn't eat a thing. I finally got hungry as soon as I saw food.

Also- have some ginger ale (the kind made with real ginger, I think Schwepps) - it helps soothe the stomachs of those that may be having a rough time.

I've offered to help recruit people to bring food to serve after the memorial service for a woman at our church. The service will start at 12:30 pm

What are some comfort foods that you would suggest? Easy and/or inexpensive would be bonuses.

I have been there many times. I would provide some kind of sandwich as the family especially probably didn't eat much if anything before. Cheapest is normally a spread of some kind, tuna, chicken etc. I have seen where something as simple as cheese sands are served.

We have always had veggie/fruit finger food with appropriate dips and then cake or cookies. It is normally easier to get people to bring cake but cookies aren't as messy.

Another idea is if you know the family well you can ask them if they have a preferance in any of the foods. Sometimes families have special dietary needs and it is nice to meet those needs. Example would be nut allergies. you would want to be sure to have a dessert that did now contain nuts or if the allergies are sever you would want to specify that no nut products be brought.

Another vote for light. Fruit, cheese and crackers, finger sandwiches. Things people can eat if they are hungry or pick at if they are having tummy issues or just need something to occupy them.

If you have people who want to bring things for the family to take home, have them bring the heavy things like baked pasta, etc.