Menu

Bju math vs Math Mammoth

mom2agang

We tried BJU Math 2 very briefly before returning to Singapore. BJU is a very traditional, mastery math program. I like how it incorporates Bible verses and people into the lessons. It also had a storyline that went along through the whole book (in BJU Math 2, you followed the adventures of a lumberjack named Matt and his beaver Paddy - I guess you need the TM to really get the full effect of the storyline, which I didn't buy). I think BJU Math is right on point for grade level and it's very colorful. There is a lot of review built in as well.

We're using BJU math online and really liking it. I will say if you don't do the DVD's or Online version, it would be very teacher intensive. I wouldn't want to do it if I was the one teaching it because it is so much. The online version is so nice because all I have to do is get the manipulatives & lesson together the night before. It's VERY conceptual and the kid's are learning well. Everything is so organized and in one place. You can print off the extra sheets needed or extra fact practice sheets. You watch the "Mom's Minutes" which takes 1-2 mins and the teacher tells you everything needed for the next lesson and what is going to be taught so you can prepare.:)

The online program is expensive but very well laid out. You're allowed to try it for a certain amount of time and return if not satisfied. I highly recommend it.

I will say if you don't do the DVD's or Online version, it would be very teacher intensive. I wouldn't want to do it if I was the one teaching it because it is so much.

The online program is expensive but very well laid out. You're allowed to try it for a certain amount of time and return if not satisfied. I highly recommend it.

In my opinion most math programs like Bob Jones, Abeka, Rod and Staff etc. are all going to take mom time.

I am currently using Bob Jones 4 and it does take me 20 minutes to present the lesson and it was the same way when we used R&S math 1 and 2. It just takes time.

Next year I'll use Bob Jones 1st, 3rd and 4th without the dvds and 5th and 6th with the dvds :001_huh:

With regards to MM, I prefer the more traditional route when it comes to teaching. I've tried MM and although I really do like it, the way things are presented in BJ works better for me. I think it's more the schedule and it's all in a book for me. I still own MM but we're sticking with BJ ;)

I can't compare the two (haven't used BJU or even seen it), but my son used Saxon for K and half of 1st at school. I supplemented with MM 1A while he was in school, because Saxon was boring him to death. He's a child that you explain a math concept briefly, he gets it, and he's ready to move on. He doesn't need the incremental nature of Saxon. He does well with getting a larger picture of the concept right away.

He's done very well with MM and we both really like it. I like it because it's all one text - no teacher's manuals or extra practice books. I also think it explains things very well for us. I was not taught the Singapore method as a child, but so far, I've fully understood how MM explains things, and I've been able to explain them pretty easily to my son.

We've only used the grade 1 text, and are about to start the grade 2 text. Looking ahead, I like what I see in how it teaches mental math and such, and how it leads to the standard algorithms. I'm a very happy MM user. :)

We've used both. MM teaches conceptual understanding in a way that I thought BJU did not. We are loving MM. I really like owning the whole light blue series, printing extra copies for review whenever I see the need. We used BJU 3 for one full year with the DVD's. We had to repeat year 3 for lack of understanding. I wish I'd had MM from the beginning and am so glad to be using it for kids 3 and 4 from the get go!

I have two years experience with BJU, and a few weeks with MM (went back to BJU). They are quite different.

I have used BJU 1st and am currently using 2nd. It is conceptual and hands on (use a lot of manipulatives) and the TM is scripted. The TM is very well layed out and colorful so it is easy to follow. It is written for a classroom, so you need to pick and choose what is necessary for your child. I hardly ever do everything in a lesson; some lessons we skip because it is too much repetition. There is not a lot of fact drill, but it tells you when to work on what facts. You miss ALOT if you do not have the Teacher Manual. It is not at all difficult to teach; it probably takes me 10-20 minutes for a lesson, then another 10 minutes for the worksheet. I like it because it is hands on, colorful, and it is mastery with a wide spiral (you do a chapter on a topic, then come back to that topic later). It does need to be taught (the workbook is usually not sufficient) but I think that should be the case in elementary, personally.

I ordered Math Mammoth for Grade 2 mid way through the fall when I was feeling like my dd was a little unchallenged in math. It was NOT for me, or my dd at least at the time. I have a MS in Engineering so I get math. I did not like not having a TM. I missed the hands on, manipulative aspect of teaching the concepts. I thought the worksheets had WAY too much crammed onto them (this was a problem for DD). I realized I do not enjoy teaching Asian math such as MM or Singapore (tried Sing. last year). I am a traditionalist and I need to teach a traditional math program. A lot of people love MM, so it could be a great fit for your kids. My advice is print the free samples and try it for a while before you commit to it. I also did not like that the review is up to you in MM; it is not built into the workbooks. BJU is really good on the review aspect. Some of it is in the TM, and some is on the workbook pages. There is also an extra Reviews workbook for additional review if you need it.

Overall, BJU is a good choice if you want traditional, mastery math. MM is a good choice if you want an Asian math esp. considering how reasonably priced it is.

edited to add: the story lines are a big draw for my dd, who is very story-oriented. She really enjoys the chapter stories that then usually relate to the them and word problems throughout the chapter. Its a little thing, but it does make math fun for her.

Edited by monalisa

I suggest you print out and administer the MM placement tests. They'll give you a really good feel for MM. For BJU, their website has extensive samples. I'm not prone to be a detailed reviewer, so I'll be blunt. The thought process in MM is more sophisticated. It's also going to be a bit more independent. I used BJU3-6 and liked it. It was colorful, social, and did what we needed at the time. We were off from math almost 9 months this past calendar year because of vision therapy and various problems. She lost a lot of ground, or rather got really rusty and forgot a lot. I needed a new way to do the same things and needed it to be more independent to boot. MM has fit the bill beautifully. Our use is different from yours, since she has seen most of this before. Really though, the thought process is different and a bit stepped up.

I would have no problem placing my dc in either program, and I would go by which seems more practical to you or seems a better fit for your kids. As the others said, you really must teach the BJU math, since the meat is in the tm. MM is all in one, written to the student. This will be especially helpful with the 4th grader. With a 1st grader, you need to use manipulatives no matter WHAT curriculum you're using.

Given the number of kids you have, is there some reason you're not looking at CLE? It's affordable, written to the student, and even has built-in drill. It would be a very practical option for you. They'll send you free samples.