Menu

Sophomore Science?

My dd is doing Biology as a 9th grader this year. I was going to have her do Chemistry next year as a sophomore. However, she's struggling with some of the Algebra concepts right now.

Also, dd is rather musically minded/talented. We heard of a Christian school that has a strong music program--Choir, orchestra, music lessons for her instruments (piano, voice, and possibly violin [she used to take violin and was in a Homeschool Orchestra]). The academics there are strong, and they have a great science teacher. We are looking at it as a possibility for her Junior and Senior year.

This school offers Chemistry in the Junior year, and with such a great Chem. teacher, I'd love her to have the opportunity to take it from him if she does end up there!

So, with all that in mind, what science would be good for dd to do next year in between the Biology and Chemistry (keeping in mind her struggles with Algebra)? (Even if she stays home, I'm going to wait and do Chem in her Junior year.)

Thank you for any insight you can give me!

Edited by Brindee

You could do an earth/physical science or perhaps extend biology. How about an ecology course?
She's not too interested in Biology/ecology stuff, so was hoping for something different....

I will look into those, though, and see what's available. I'm open to researching anything that ya'll offer up ideas for!

Thank you Holly!

Thank you! Is there a forensics curriculum? Seems like I've heard of something, I just haven't found it.

Yes! Winterpromise has an Anatomy and Forensics course that we are actually using this year---one semester Anatomy, one semester Forensics. If you don't need things scheduled out for you, you could simply purchase the books and schedule them yourself. WP schedules it all for 1-2 days a week also.

Yes! Winterpromise has an Anatomy and Forensics course that we are actually using this year---one semester Anatomy, one semester Forensics. If you don't need things scheduled out for you, you could simply purchase the books and schedule them yourself. WP schedules it all for 1-2 days a week also.
Thank you! THis looks interesting!

How would this look on the transcript? (Meaning....how would I put this on the transcript?)

I think that Winter Promise course looks fun! I am certainly no transcript expert, but I would just list it as Human Anatomy & Forensic Science.

:iagree: And the Forensics part of the program is awesome---I will be setting up the evidence for the kids to analyze using proper technique. Very detailed directions in the Crime Scene Investigations book. ;)

Okay, I found this on the school website:

10th Grade Science: This course covers aspects of cell and genetic biology, electricity and magnetism, radioactivity, geology, and chemical properties and reactions.

DD says the other stuff sounds very cool, but as we talked about it, we thought maybe we should go with doing as much of the same idea for science as the school does. (More likely to be accepted) They do Physical science with some extras in 9th grade.

Anyone know a curriculum that covers these topics and what it's called? Seems like a mishmash of different sciences. Would I need to pull things together to cover these topics? I'm one that prefers it all laid out if possible, since sciences are not my strong point. DD loves stuff on cds/dvds.

Edited by Brindee

Okay, I found this on the school website:

DD says the other stuff sounds very cool, but as we talked about it, we thought maybe we should go with doing as much of the same idea for science as the school does. (More likely to be accepted) They do Physical science with some extras in 9th grade.

Anyone know a curriculum that covers these topics and what it's called? Seems like a mishmash of different sciences. Would I need to pull things together to cover these topics? I'm one that prefers it all laid out if possible, since sciences are not my strong point. DD loves stuff on cds/dvds.

It sounds like Integrated Science or whatever they are calling it now. One of the local schools does this; they visit all areas of science each year instead of focusing on one per year.

It has a lot of material on the history of science in it, too. I've posted before about the great experience my child had with this course.

Another option would be to skip science for a year, which wasn't what you were asking, but it could allow your student to study AP Music Theory or some other course that might be very valuable.

Mostlyamom

I was going to recommend physical science if she hasn't already done that, but I see you've already come up with that idea. :) Apologia has a great physical science course. I would strongly suggest this or another physical or integrated science course which will get her up to speed with the math she'll need for chemistry. I think it would be much harder to do a chemistry course, other than conceptual, without having some exposure to significant digits and other math concepts first. Even if it's challenging for her, she'll be able to move at her own pace and be up to speed before beginning school there.

Here's a link for Apologia Physical Science. It covers all the topics you mentioned. Click on Table of Contents:

http://www.christianbook.com/exploring-creation-physical-volumes-second-edition/jay-wile/pd/336402?event=AFF&p=1012563#curr

Edited by Teachin'Mine

WOW, thank you everyone! I have some research to do now! :) You don't know how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I like the idea of the Physical Science, since I think she'd get a lot out of it! However, I know that some places consider that an 8th grade level course, not high school, so I'm thinking we may not want to chance that?

I will be looking into the other things as well, since they match up with what they do in 10th at the school.

Thanks again, you gals are awesome!

DIVE Science does Integrated Science as a high school course. It includes an introduction to chemistry and physics and works with a variety of textbooks.

We are doing physical science with Prentice Hall's Concept In Action which is a 9th grade book and I had no trouble finding high school syllabuses that use it for "Integrated Science" at the high school level. This has been one of my favorites http://scecinachemistry.net/1ScecinaICP/

It has a lot of material on the history of science in it, too. I've posted before about the great experience my child had with this course.

Another option would be to skip science for a year, which wasn't what you were asking, but it could allow your student to study AP Music Theory or some other course that might be very valuable.

Mostlyamom

You're right, a lot of history! She IS doing World History next year. She did Ancient History this year. Not sure she'd want to delve that deep into history for a science course, but she might. The teacher seems very reasonable/personable!

What I didn't find was the cost. How much does this class cost?

The school she's looking at requires the 4 years of science, so we couldn't skip.....though I really like the idea of doing that and taking an AP Music Theory or a course like it!

Edited by Brindee

That is called general science. I don't know if Apologia General Science would be enough.

I couldn't find anyone with a high school general science course. Can you find out what text they use and do the same?

I don't think it'd be enough, since it's really their 7th grade level course. I think this school digs deeper into each subject than this course would.

I think you're right, I need to ask what they use. Though, what they use may work for a classroom setting with available labs, but not a home setting.....

I was going to recommend physical science if she hasn't already done that' date=' but I see you've already come up with that idea. :) Apologia has a great physical science course. I would strongly suggest this or another physical or integrated science course which will get her up to speed with the math she'll need for chemistry. I think it would be much harder to do a chemistry course, other than conceptual, without having some exposure to significant digits and other math concepts first. Even if it's challenging for her, she'll be able to move at her own pace and be up to speed before beginning school there.

Here's a link for Apologia Physical Science. It covers all the topics you mentioned. Click on Table of Contents:

http://www.christianbook.com/exploring-creation-physical-volumes-second-edition/jay-wile/pd/336402?event=AFF&p=1012563#curr[/quote'] Have you used this course? I totally agree about needing something like this to better prepare for chemistry! I wonder if it's enough to get a credit for 10th grade? It does say it has links for more advanced students, so maybe we'd need to follow those links and do some of the extra work?

DIVE Science does Integrated Science as a high school course. It includes an introduction to chemistry and physics and works with a variety of textbooks.

We are doing physical science with Prentice Hall's Concept In Action which is a 9th grade book and I had no trouble finding high school syllabuses that use it for "Integrated Science" at the high school level. This has been one of my favorites http://scecinachemistry.net/1ScecinaICP/

Does the PH book have quizzes/tests/answers, etc.?

Oh, I like the look of the DIVE Integrated Science! Is it stand alone? Do I need to add anything else to it to make it "worthy" of a credit? It says it's college prep.

It looks like it costs $50. Is that for everything she'd need? It says she can just watch the labs. Would that give her the lab credit if we didn't have the materials for all of the labs they do but she watched it and did whatever requirements there were?

I forgot to mention the curriculum my dd is using right now. PAC's Integrated Physics and Chemistry. She is not big into science either. This seems to be working well for her. It's not cheap, but I feel it has been worth it for her not to struggle all year.
It looks like this is a 2-year course? We only have one year.

I like relating it to the scientists. One of the sciences she did in elementary did that. I can't remember the name of it right now though. :001_huh::tongue_smilie: Anyway, she did like it!

It looks like this is a 2-year course? We only have one year.

I like relating it to the scientists. One of the sciences she did in elementary did that. I can't remember the name of it right now though. :001_huh::tongue_smilie: Anyway, she did like it!

We are doing it in one year and eliminating a few of the books or Chapters as they call them. There are 3 quizzes with each book/chapter. If they score an 85% or above, they say to skip the end of chapter test. So far she has scored 90% or above on all of the quizzes.

ETA: CBD sells these as well. As an entire kit and individually. You can see the TOC of each book there. That's how I eliminated which ones we would not use.

Edited by atozmom
added something

Have you used this course? I totally agree about needing something like this to better prepare for chemistry! I wonder if it's enough to get a credit for 10th grade? It does say it has links for more advanced students, so maybe we'd need to follow those links and do some of the extra work?

Brindee we used the course last year. It's not a fluffy course and contains the topics they cover in 10th grade. It's also not light on math, so would probably be a bit challenging. I think it's an excellent text to use before chemistry or physics. It's often used as a 9th grade course, but it makes no difference that you've done biology in 9th and would use this in 10th. You can use the DIVE Integrated Science along with this text if you need a DVD as well.

I think it's definitely enough for credit for 10th grade. Honestly, I don't think the general science course would meet the requirements.

Does the PH book have quizzes/tests/answers, etc.?

Oh, I like the look of the DIVE Integrated Science! Is it stand alone? Do I need to add anything else to it to make it "worthy" of a credit? It says it's college prep.

It looks like it costs $50. Is that for everything she'd need? It says she can just watch the labs. Would that give her the lab credit if we didn't have the materials for all of the labs they do but she watched it and did whatever requirements there were?

The DIVE course needs a textbook. You can use any of the syllabuses they provide (including one for just reading from the internet) or if you have another book you prefer they will make you a syllabus. I emailed and they had me send a pdf of the table of contents of the book (I scanned it) and they sent me a syllabus. He was very helpful.

For PH, I have the Test Generator CD and it is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I got my whole PH set (student, teacher, lab & test gen) used from the FS board for $70. New the Test Generator is expensive!

To explain, I love to teach science, so I started with just the PH stuff. Then I had health issues that kept me from teaching adequately. Ds is in 8th doing a 9th grade course and it was not working. I got DIVE to fill in. We also used Khan Academy videos which we liked better than the DIVE videos for explanation of concepts. The DIVE videos were great for labs. I am healthy again now and back to using just PH. I think either program can stand on its own and be high school credit worthy. Ds has always been very strong in science and it has been a challenging year.

The DIVE course needs a textbook. You can use any of the syllabuses they provide (including one for just reading from the internet) or if you have another book you prefer they will make you a syllabus. I emailed and they had me send a pdf of the table of contents of the book (I scanned it) and they sent me a syllabus. He was very helpful.

For PH, I have the Test Generator CD and it is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I got my whole PH set (student, teacher, lab & test gen) used from the FS board for $70. New the Test Generator is expensive!

To explain, I love to teach science, so I started with just the PH stuff. Then I had health issues that kept me from teaching adequately. Ds is in 8th doing a 9th grade course and it was not working. I got DIVE to fill in. We also used Khan Academy videos which we liked better than the DIVE videos for explanation of concepts. The DIVE videos were great for labs. I am healthy again now and back to using just PH. I think either program can stand on its own and be high school credit worthy. Ds has always been very strong in science and it has been a challenging year.

Thank you for all the info.! If there aren't tests, and the TG is expensive, do you think for me, a non-science person (basically), that it'd be hard to do PH?

DIVE is not resellable, is it? I still like the idea of the labs though, unless there's a cheaper option. She's my last one, so I wouldn't have any other child to use it with.

BTW, I'm glad you're healthy again! :001_smile:

Thank you for all the info.! If there aren't tests, and the TG is expensive, do you think for me, a non-science person (basically), that it'd be hard to do PH?

DIVE is not resellable, is it? I still like the idea of the labs though, unless there's a cheaper option. She's my last one, so I wouldn't have any other child to use it with.

BTW, I'm glad you're healthy again! :001_smile:

I think just getting the PH student book and using it with DIVE would be a better way to go than trying to use PH alone. Here is the book I use on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Science-Concepts-Action-Earth/dp/0131663089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296310239&sr=8-1 Used it is less than $10 with shipping. Add that to dive and you would have very reasonably priced science. The no resale rule on DIVE is a little annoying (although I still see them on the sale board sometimes), but $50 seems like a very good price for the program and labs, so that helps.

I think just getting the PH student book and using it with DIVE would be a better way to go than trying to use PH alone. Here is the book I use on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Science-Concepts-Action-Earth/dp/0131663089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296310239&sr=8-1 Used it is less than $10 with shipping. Add that to dive and you would have very reasonably priced science. The no resale rule on DIVE is a little annoying (although I still see them on the sale board sometimes), but $50 seems like a very good price for the program and labs, so that helps.
True, I'll look at this more closely...

Thank you!

ACE curriculum has a 10th grade physical science course designed to prepare the student for 11th grade chem and 12 grade physics. They do Biology in the 9th. I don't know how you feel about paces, but they seem to be following the scope and sequence that you want to.

ACE curriculum has a 10th grade physical science course designed to prepare the student for 11th grade chem and 12 grade physics. They do Biology in the 9th. I don't know how you feel about paces, but they seem to be following the scope and sequence that you want to.

You know, I've heard about the ACE curric. for years, but have never investigated it. Do they have DVDs/CDs that go with the program, or is it just books? Or what? Do you have a link to the phys. science? I like the idea that it's made for 10th grade.

You know, I've heard about the ACE curric. for years, but have never investigated it. Do they have DVDs/CDs that go with the program, or is it just books? Or what? Do you have a link to the phys. science? I like the idea that it's made for 10th grade.

Here is a link to ACE science. If you want to see samples, go here. There are no samples for the Physical Science, but you can see the Biology samples. Those are the only high school samples there. I haven't been able to find sample pages elsewhere. But at least the Biology samples should give you an idea of what they are like. They do have lab DVD's for a pretty reasonable price. They also have DVD's for the course, but OUCH! they are expensive!

Here is a link to ACE science. If you want to see samples, go here. There are no samples for the Physical Science, but you can see the Biology samples. Those are the only high school samples there. I haven't been able to find sample pages elsewhere. But at least the Biology samples should give you an idea of what they are like. They do have lab DVD's for a pretty reasonable price. They also have DVD's for the course, but OUCH! they are expensive!
Yeah, I see what you mean about the cost of the DVD's!

I'll look into it more. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you'll see this! What all does this book cover? I can't seem to find a Table of Contents.

Also, I see this mentioned: PRENTICE HALL/PHYSICAL SCIENCE/CONCEPTS IN ACTION WITH EARTH AND SPACE SCIENCE/MATH SKILLS AND PROBLEM SOLVING WORKBOOK ANSWER KEY

Does every book come with this, or is it a separate thing?

Edited by Brindee

We are doing it in one year and eliminating a few of the books or Chapters as they call them. There are 3 quizzes with each book/chapter. If they score an 85% or above, they say to skip the end of chapter test. So far she has scored 90% or above on all of the quizzes.

ETA: CBD sells these as well. As an entire kit and individually. You can see the TOC of each book there. That's how I eliminated which ones we would not use.

It looks like they have a "Year 1 Kit" and "Year 2 Kit". Wonder if we did one of those if it'd cover what we'd need to cover?

Do you get the activities and Teacher Kits?

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZu6g&PMDbProgramID=22022&PMDbProductId=2437

In regards to finding the PH materials used--I found it easiest if I looked up the ISBN number through the link above and then I was able to find the same used material by looking it up by ISBN at alibris.com (or other used textbooks sites). Hope that helps.

Here is the link to the DIVE syllabus for use with PH. http://www.diveintomath.com/clipart/Prentice%20Hall%20Physical%20Science,%20Concepts%20in%20Action%202009.pdf

So, I buy the DIVE CD, but I just print out the syllabus from the site?

I looked at his little vid explaining the DIVE CDs, and he said the DIVE CD is the main component, and the other is just the source. AND, that the Internet is actually what you can get the most/best/deepest info. from. DD says she doesn't care which, so we may try the DIVE CD with the Internet and see how that goes! Cheaper that way too! If it doesn't work, I can get one of the other books...

Soooo, this is what I'm thinking we'll be doing for science next year! Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate it immensely!!!