Menu

Question about Singapore Math

RainbowSprinkles

My dd is finishing 2A Standards this week and we'll start 2B Standards next week. If we switch to the U.S. Edition after 2B, is there going to be gap? Or does it basically cover them same things just in a different order? Also, in the HIG for the U.S. Editions, is there a suggested schedule like in the Standards HIG?

Thank You!

The Standards Edition HIG is *SIGNIFICANTLY* better than the US Ed. HIG. And for 3A, IMHO you're probably going to need all the help you can get! I *strongly* encourage you to preview copies of both editions of the HIG's for a comparison before making the decision to switch.

It's worth the extra money to get the SE for the much improved HIG's.

I have used a mix of US and Standards materials thus far, and I haven't had any issue. One semester we even had the textbook of one edition and the workbook of another. (Both were freebies from different sources, and I decided that I would try them together but buy the corresponding materials if need be.) So I would not anticipate a problem with switching to a different edition. I only have one Standards ed HIG, but it does have a suggested schedule in it. Since I haven't seen a US edition HIG, I can't really compare them.

I agree with Crimson Wife. I used the US ed. with my older dd, but my ds has been using the Standards edition since he started with SM in 1A. I agree that the Standards edition is significantly better, and wouldn't dream of going back to the US ed. The US ed. leaves out some content in the SE, and does do things in a different order.

Edited to add: You might not see a huge difference between the versions in the lower grades, but as we progressed through, the differences became more and more apparent to me.