Menu

Wanna Play - opening sentences?

I've been encouraging my kids to come up with "catch-y" or creative opening sentences to their essays. Here's some from my 9th grader this year....

What do Darth Vader, The Joker, and Roger Chillingworth all have in common?

Every ninth grader in my school agrees that Frederick Douglass’s book the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave is boring.

Call me Ishmael. This is the opening sentence of one of the most thrilling adventure tales ever written by man, Moby-Dick.

So do you wanna play? Give us some of your kid's opening sentences! I'll share them with my boys to help jump start their creative juices or just for fun!

Myra

I assigned my 7th grader (12) to write a paragraph detailing his thoughts on the blurring of the lines between church and state, and specifically concerning Charlemagne's policy of "covert or be executed."

This was the opening sentence. "Kings are stupid."

Needless to say, we had a talk about not making sweeping generalizations. I didn't ask him if he thought queens were smarter! :)

Faith, I don't recommend this opening line to your sons but it is an attention getter!

You made me curious. My youngest is very much of an attention grabber type of kid. Last year, he had more room for his typical self. Here are a few pages I opened on my computer here:

Call me Reid.

When you think of snowboarding, you probably think of spending a whole bunch of money to be unsafe and unsocial.

My room can do many things to a person.

I tried comparing his writing this year and actually I was pleased that it was more serious finally :)

But I did find one opening surprise:

Praise God!

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN