Menu

1st grade Science

Qs3

We're getting ready to start studying the human body. We'll probably be using the Kingfisher encyclopedia suggested in TWTM, but I'd also like to do something more hands-on. Has anyone used The Body Book Hands-On Models or My Body? Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't use Kingfisher with a 1st grader. It is too advanced. Even older kids can find it a bit heavy going. I would look for something else. The Let's Read and Find Out Science series has some good titles, Magic School Bus appeals to some kids, and maybe other books from the library might do the trick. I am unfamiliar with the books you mentioned, but if they target young children, they might be good too.

I wouldn't use Kingfisher with a 1st grader. It is too advanced. Even older kids can find it a bit heavy going. I would look for something else.

I haven't seen the KF book, but I have the Usborn First Encyc. of the Body and it is age appropriate. I am going to be using it with my 1st grader in March. I haven't even started planning yet (very uncharacteristic of me!) or I would have more information to offer.

I do hope to complete a lapbook with my boys though. That is a hands on project you might want to consider.

I'll be following this thread though...thank you!

The Kingfisher book is appealing, and I've just adjusted the wording to his level. Everybody Has A Body has some simple things to do that are physical. The Usborne starting point Science book (I think I read about it in the first WTM and got it used) has been a hit here. There is a book on reproduction (the book is 4 small ones put together), but since I have treated that as one part of life just like digestion or circulation (I know some people don't) there has been no shockers here.

Kiddo has really enjoyed any oversized books with the see-through pages with the nerves drawn on one, and the blood vessels on another (DK makes one). I got these used.

I don't happen to like The Magic School Bus. I think the teacher is made fun of and kids whine and there is too much "story" for what little meat there is in material. In all, too "modern" (i.e. the kids talk like adults and the adults are absent or idiotic) for me. YMMV.

Kids enjoy Xrays. Ask at an office if they ever purge their old files and will give you some with the ID cut off (privacy). My son has loved finding the fractures.

Kiddo has loved lying down on butcher paper and doing his outline and then coloring in muscles, heart, etc. He does his very very best coloring for this.

Kiddo loves animals, and we've done comparative anatomy when possible. Do you have or have access to a very obliging dog? You can listen to guts rumble, find the belly button, lift a lip and discuss teeth design, etc. I've also gotten some nice big books with photos of skeletons in them and we discuss the teeth of the rabbit vs. teeth of the bat, etc, and how the types of joints work and why you have a ball and socket at the hip but only a hinge joint at the knee. Don't forget getting an older text of embryology (one for growups with lots of pics). Kiddo is fascinated by the tail and placenta as well as the pictures of deformed babies. Starting so young, and treating it as just a "oops of nature" it has not been the least traumatic.

Since I am a doc, I use big words and treat s*x, illness, death and excretion very calmly. I also throw in the Greek or Latin root for those big words. Kiddo, obligingly, is calm about it all, and uses those nice big words with ease, which sure makes me smile ear to ear.

We were using Noeo Bio I last year when we studied the human body. Their book was the Usborne First Encyclopedia of the Human Body, which dd loved to read on her own after we read it together. We also used the My Body book by Teacher Created Resources which has small kid-sized organs for kids to color and cut out while you read about what the organ does. Then we taped the organs to our butcher paper body outlines hanging on the wall. My kids loved it. They also learned a lot from the Magic School Bus Human Body dvd.

There is a fun book from Teacher Created Resources that you might enjoy- I know it's not what you were asking about, but thought I'd throw that idea your way. Look here:

http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/0211

My kids enjoyed this very much.

This actually is the My Body op is referring to. We used it and it was a blast!

all my info on an unsecured page (everything but firstborn child, it seems). I can't find what payment they take elsewhere, and I can't get past that page without filling it in. (I could do this with fake info the first time, but what a lot of info!)

Does anyone recall what payment they take? Is it an unsecured connection? I'd like to get the ebook, but not willing to lose my identity to do it.

Thanks

all my info on an unsecured page (everything but firstborn child, it seems). I can't find what payment they take elsewhere, and I can't get past that page without filling it in. (I could do this with fake info the first time, but what a lot of info!)

Does anyone recall what payment they take? Is it an unsecured connection? I'd like to get the ebook, but not willing to lose my identity to do it.

Thanks

I don't know about the web ordering, but I did find a "store near you" feature, and they are represented at all of the teacher stores I know of around here. Maybe that's a better way to go, because you get to really look at the book first. I'd be nervous about all the info too.

I taught that last year in our K-2 Co-op and it was great fun and the kids learned a lot. For each child we used two poster boards put together along the edge w/ double sided poster tape. Then we would trace their bodies onto the poster board and cut it out. Each week, we learned about a different body part, colored them, cut them out, then they glued it onto *their* body. The results were wonderful!