Menu

Which would you choose and why - Foerster's or Dolciani's Algebra I Text?

My DH and I are in the process of determining what Algebra & Geometry book to use in our homeschool. I have a 1965 edition of Dolciani's Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 and a 1994 edition of Foerster's Algebra I Expressions, Equations, & Applications. I'm not very experienced in evaluating upper level math books, but I'll give you my observations.

I am working through the Dolciani book right now. Here is what I like about the book: the concepts are logically ordered and build on one another and the lessons include oral exercises, written exercises, and problems. The answers to the odd problems are in the back of the book. I found a 1965 Teacher's Manual that's in the mail right now. I thought I would like Foerster better, but the more I work through Dolciani, the more I like it. If the book I ordered is truly the TM (it was fairly cheap, so I'm not sure), then I will probably use the Dolciani book for Algebra.

I haven't spent as much time in the Foerster book, but from my readings of the early chapters in both books, I feel like the Foerster book is not laid out as well and the terms appear haphazard. Take for instance the lesson on variables. Dolciani has definitions for variable, replacement set, domain, values, constant, variable expression, open expression, and algebraic expression. In a similar lesson, Foerster defines variable, substituting, terms, and factors. In the next lesson, Dolciani talks about factor, coefficient, exponent, and base. Foerster goes on to power, base, and exponent; he introduces equations 4 lessons after variables are defined.

I know that many people like the word problems in Foerster, so as I get to that part, I may weigh that more heavily and end up using Foerster, but I think I might just incorporate the word problems into Dolciani if I think that Dolciani is lacking in that area. DH, the engineer, will have more input on that. I'm an accountant, and I really liked math in school. Give me a problem anyday, and I could solve for "x"; however, I had no idea what "x" was...It's making more sense this time around.

HTH! If nothing else, someone may see this and give you better input.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that many people like the word problems in Foerster, so as I get to that part, I may weigh that more heavily and end up using Foerster, but I think I might just incorporate the word problems into Dolciani if I think that Dolciani is lacking in that area. DH, the engineer, will have more input on that. I'm an accountant, and I really liked math in school. Give me a problem anyday, and I could solve for "x"; however, I had no idea what "x" was...It's making more sense this time around.

HTH! If nothing else, someone may see this and give you better input.

Beth, I have Foerster and Dolciani, too. Actually, I like the wp's from Dolciani. They remind me of Singapore's wp's, and they are pretty challenging.

We are doing Dolciani's Algebra 1 also, and I do think the word problems are rigorous. I really like the book. (she is using it through U. of Miss. HS)I have the teachers text which is nice because then we can do the oral exercises each looking at our books! The back of the book doesn't have the answers for the oral exercises. (the TM has the answers right after the problem, so you don't have to lose your place) I also like all the self tests, chapter review, etc.. The tm has separate ch. tests for each chapter with answers. Even doing only odds you get plenty of math. This book has a lot of story problems throughout the book, and there are some that matched up to ones in the Saxon Alg. 2. There is also a fair amount of proof in the Algebra, and sprinkled through the TM are extra challenge work for examples. I haven't had luck with finding a solutions manual, but so far we are OK with just the answers. Alg.. 2 is coming next.

I have a 1965 Dolciani TE Alg. I, but didn’t find it until after using Foerster last yr. for Alg. 1. They are both fine textbooks, but for a top down overview of the assignments and teaching tips, I think Dolciani has a lot more to offer than the Foerster TE. Another purely subjective comment-- I find the Dolciani problems “tickle my brain†more than the Foerster ones. They seem to be more engrossing and sometimes give you insight into what mathematics might actually be about. (The highest level of math course I have taken is basic calculus for business school students, so I only know vocational math.)

For Alg II next yr. we’re using a Dolciani set from 1992.

I own one of each (not sure of the editions, though), and I prefer Foerster. They are both very good texts, but I think the explanations are clearer in Foerster.

I agree. We have used Foerster's and have had great success!

We're using a 1965 Dolciani and I really enjoy it. Not that I'm biased, or anything, having grown up in the 1960s and 1970s and having done New Math. Nor am I biased by the fact that Myrtle & Charon recommended it, and I also love his former suggestion of Gelfand's Algebra;). Plus Jane in NC made a strong case. Yes, enjoy it. I learned Algebra from texts when I was in school, not from the teacher. It's part of my "geek factor."

I did buy a Foerster's for $1, but haven't even read it yet. It's sitting on the shelf in case dd ever has trouble with Dolciani as a back up. Also, I've become a bit of an Algebra 1 junkie and have 5 Algebra 1 books now. If we hadn't sold the Jacob's, it would be 6.