Menu

cursive or print for 5th grader

workingmom

My 4th grader finished up learning cursive this year. However I have to remind him to do some assignments in cursive to keep up the practice. But he's much quicker with print and I think he can more easily correct his spelling errors when printing because he "sees" something isn't write easier. Now I'm planning ahead for 5th should kids be doing more of their work in cursive, how do you phase them into it?

I personally still print everything basically or combine some cursive with mostly print but I recall doing that even in hs and college.

Suggestions?

My 5th grader does all her work in cursive; however her printing is much neater. I'd like her to keep practicing cursive until it develops into her own style and looks more like an adult style cursive. So I'd say, keep on with cursive for a while longer but if it's a spelling test, do whatever style they want.

My 4th grader finished up learning cursive this year. However I have to remind him to do some assignments in cursive to keep up the practice. But he's much quicker with print and I think he can more easily correct his spelling errors when printing because he "sees" something isn't write easier. Now I'm planning ahead for 5th should kids be doing more of their work in cursive, how do you phase them into it?

I personally still print everything basically or combine some cursive with mostly print but I recall doing that even in hs and college.

Suggestions?

In fourth grade, my daughter worked her way through a Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Success workbook. She also kept a journal that year (for school, not just because she wanted to), and her journal entries were all to be written in cursive. Everything else was done in print.

This year, for fifth grade, she's working her way through a Handwriting Without Tears Can Do Cursive workbook. But pretty much all of her schoolwork is done in print. Sometimes when writing to a penpal or some such, she will write in cursive.

OH, AM I SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ALL SAY THAT!!!!!

My dc (grade 2-5) do cursive in their handwriting texts but print almost everything else. I write in a hybrid sort of print, so I figure they may, too. Gee, I love my dmil's Palmer style handwriting, but I've tried teaching it and--besides the fact that it is difficult to teach--I can't do it very well, either.