Poll: Endometrial Ablation

Endometrial ablation  

1. 1. Endometrial ablation

• I am pleased with the results, and would highly recommend it
    • I am split on the decision I made, but I would do it again
    • I had it done, problems started again and had to get it done again
    • It was great for a while, problems started again,would never recommend it
    • I ended up having a hysterectomy anyways
    • Didn't work at all, was a terrible experience, don't do it.

For those who have had it. Could you also include:

1. What kind of EA you had

2. Age of when you had it

3. What kind of anesthesia did you have

4. If you did have problems, how long did your good results last?

5. If you had NO problems, how long has it been since your EA?

Thanks!

Edited by dancer67

I had the Novasure EA done in Aug of 2009 when I was 39. The doctor recommended it because I had heavy bleeding, fainting, and anemia. I absolutely love not getting the monthly anymore. Every once in awhile I experience a very light bleeding but that's it.

The procedure itself involved a day visit to the hospital for surgery and a day or two of rest. I don't remember much pain at all. Of course after birthing 4 children, this was a walk in the park.

Novasure

44 (this past Monday!)

general

n/a

too early to tell

I will say the worst part of it all was the anesthesia. I was very nauseous for about 4 days after. No vomiting, just queasy. The procedure itself wasn't bad. There was some cramping while I was in recovery. The lovely drug lady kept giving me pain meds and after a few hours, all cramping was gone. I never even had to take any of the pain pills they prescribed for me. Very minimum bleeding, if you can even call it that. Lighter than spotting, even. So far, I'm happy. We'll see what happens in about 3 weeks. ;)

Do make sure your doc does a pre-op ultra sound to make sure you don't have fibroids or if you do, that they're not going to be a hindrance. My entire procedure, including the pre-op visit, was bloodwork, ultrasound (internal and external), then at the hospital, the D&C, hysteroscopy and then the Novasure procedure.

The Novasure procedure is bascially a wand that's inserted into the uterus, it fans open and measures the cavity, then ablates the lining. Badabing, done! Risks include perforation and infection, but that's a risk with any surgical procedure. My doctor states she's never had that happen with her. One thing to remember is, make sure you're done having children. Novasure doesn't sterilize you, and getting pregnant after the procedure is extremely dangerous. My doc said she knew of one patient (not hers) who did get pregnant afet and carried the baby to term. She bled so badly she needed an full hysterectomy and transfusions. So, make sure you're done having babies and make sure to take precautions against pregnancy, if you choose to go with this.

I had the Novasure procedure done.

I was 41 (I had it done this past summer).

I had general but the anesthesiologist said he did a "light" dose on me (not sure of the details of that) and I have to say that it was very easy waking up from it. I've had general before and a few times it was VERY hard to wake up from and I felt out of it and groggy. This time was different - I felt pretty chipper and wide awake right after.

I had mine done this past summer. I haven't had any problems; my periods are a thing of the past - yay! My recovery was pretty simple, too. I had my procedure done in the afternoon, went home and watched a movie in bed and was waited on (another big YAY!). I actually got up and went shopping the next day but I would have felt better staying home and resting. I was pretty tired by the end of the day.

I did have a discharge for about 3-4 weeks after. Good luck with your procedure!

i had the "free flowing hot liquid" kind

i was 48

general, with heavy duty antinausea meds afterwards

n/a

almost four years ....

size of uterus and method used affect results. the free flowing hot liquid has the best coverage, but more pain (i had almost none though). the smaller the uterus the better...

Thanks!

hth,

ann

ps. i had to do something, and this was better than a complete hysterectomy by a long shot!

I believe I had the tube down my throat thing. But I was completely out before they did that part. I remember being wheeled into the OR, waving at the scrub tech (She was a friend of a friend) and sliding over to the table. My next memory is the nurse saying, "Hold up how many fingers you're in pain, from one to 10....Ok, I'll give you something in your IV." She was my friend. :)

I wouldn't mind the twilight sedation. But a general with a tube down my throat tells me no thank you. BTDT. Well, unless of course I have to get this done. And I don't right now. Looking at my options as a "just in case".

I thought this procedure only took about 15 minutes tops? Why a general instead of Twilight sedation? My daughter had that when she had her wisdom teeth out(and they were impacted and had to take a piece of bone out of her jaw), and she was out, out.??

Maybe it depends on the kind of ablation I wonder.

Thanks for all the input so far ladues!:)

I voted for the first one. Although I am very glad I had it, I wouldn't "highly recommend" it for someone else. It's such a personal decision, one that took me a few years to come to. It was a great choice for me, literally life changing.

1. Novasure

2. 44

3. Whatever they do for Novasure, which is not much. No general anesthesia, that's for sure. I think they gave me something to relax me. I did feel pain (as they told me I would) during the procedure, pretty much like a giant cramp, but it lasted maybe 20 seconds.

4. No problems.

5. 3 years. Of bliss. Of freedom.

My original gyn had suggested the balloon. When I finally agreed (out of desperation), he backed down and said he couldn't guarantee it'd have any effect on my problems. I decided against it.

We moved, and I finally sought out a doctor who specifically did the Novasure procedure, based on what I'd read--probably here at this board. Of course he couldn't "guarantee" results, but his question to me was, "Would you be happy with the results if you ended up with a normal period?" Yes, I would have been thrilled for that. I ended up with no period, nothing, three years. No more staying home all the time, or wearing baggy pants when I was brave enough to leave the house, no more fortune spent each month on sanitary supplies. I got my life back.

If you are interested in Novasure, it may be worth driving a distance. It was very brief, I was back home in no time, although I did need to make sure dh drove me. I say that, and I'll probably find you are on a remote island somewhere where it really is not an option of any sort, lol.

If you are interested in Novasure, it may be worth driving a distance. It was very brief, I was back home in no time, although I did need to make sure dh drove me. I say that, and I'll probably find you are on a remote island somewhere where it really is not an option of any sort, lol.

It isn't so much the drive, but the Dr's who do this procedure, do not accept my insurance.

Right now, my periods are not a bother to me. But are a bother to my iron levels. Of course, that is what the numbers tell me anyways...lol.

But I feel fine. I do not have the kind of bleeding people are describing here, like not being able to leave the house.

I cannot wear a tampon(even super plus) the first two days unless I want to wear pad with it. And I would be changing that tampon in about 1/2 hour.

I just wear an overnight pad the first two days, and change it every few hours.

But I have always been heavy the first two days. Only in the past year or so it has gotten a little heavier, and come closer together. Every 23 days now instead of every 28-30.

If I get to the point of not having a life, then this will be something I will discuss with my Dr. I am grateful for all the responses.

Thank you!!

1. What kind of EA you had: The hot water/burning EA.

2. Age of when you had it: 43

3. What kind of anesthesia did you have: Spinal injection... I don't get general anesthesia unless absolutely necessary due to complicating medical conditions and adverse reactions to anesthesia.

4. If you did have problems, how long did your good results last? Only from the spinal... I was still partially numb 6 hours later. Went home with my butt still numb and couldn't tell if I was sitting on anything-LOL. No complications from the EA. Just needed to take motrin for about 24 hours for slight cramps.

Thanks!

It has been about 18 months since I had the EA. It went much better than I expected. I didn't have a period for about the first 8 months. I get a light period occassionally (about every 2-3 months).

My choices were an EA or a hysterectomy. I chose the EA and am very glad I did.

1. Novasure

2. 42

3. "Twilight" anesthesia

4. No problems

5. 4 years

My original gyn had suggested the balloon method (Thermacare maybe?) since he had more experience with that than the Novasure. I had read on this board of more positive experiences with the Novasure and requested that. He changed his mind at the last instant and that is what I had.

I have had a few months when my TOM was "normal" (rather than the Very Heavy it had been.) But most of the time it was "spotting" or just gone.

One thing to be aware of: Eggs can be fertilized and then not able to implant. This was not an issue for us, but if it had been, we would have taken precautions to avoid pregnancy and miscarriage.

I dont know the exact name of the proceedure I had done, but Im guessing it was the same most are talking about here. I had it done a year ago in Dec when I was 34. Best decsion I ever made. I have not had a period in a year!

I have had numerous surgerys in the past, and this one was by far the easiest and fastest I have had! I woke up in zero pain, but the nurse made me say it was at least a one...lol and I never took so much as a asprin for pain. I went back to work the next day (although I do wish I had waited a day or so longer. I work on an ambulance and working did cause some slight cramping) I had discharge after surgery for almost 5 weeks, but was told that was normal. I tell everyone they should have this done!

I am surprised at those of you who stopped having a period. I have two close friends who have had this done in the last couple of years and both of them continue to have periods.

Dawn

This is my concern. And I have been told by my Dr. that a repeat procedure canno be done because of scar tissue. And if it didn't work, or help, that the only other option would be hysterectomy.

Again, it seems like a very big decision and a drastic measure to take over just having low iron. Which can be remedied by pills, or IV.

I am only hoping it doesn't get worse, and menopause is around the corner!

I am surprised at those of you who stopped having a period. I have two close friends who have had this done in the last couple of years and both of them continue to have periods.

Dawn

I really won't mind if I continue to have periods, as long as they are "normal" ones. What I have now, according to the doctor, is very heavy. I cannot get my iron levels up (saturation hovers around 10%). My docs (GP & GYN both) say that many of their patients never bleed again.

I really won't mind if I continue to have periods, as long as they are "normal" ones. What I have now, according to the doctor, is very heavy. I cannot get my iron levels up (saturation hovers around 10%). My docs (GP & GYN both) say that many of their patients never bleed again.

Why not get IV Iron, Auntie M? All of your iron levels will go up, and then just take iron pills?

My sat rate started at 15% and after IV it jumped to 20% and all other levels normalized.

You can just get 2-3 treatments of 45 mintues.

Just putting that out there before maybe doing surgery?

I am wondering also, why your GP and GYN never referred you to a hematologist?

If the bleeding is really bugging you then I can't blame you for wantint to try the ablation.

Hope all goes well for you.:grouphug:

I wouldn't mind the twilight sedation. But a general with a tube down my throat tells me no thank you. BTDT. Well, unless of course I have to get this done. And I don't right now. Looking at my options as a "just in case".

I thought this procedure only took about 15 minutes tops? Why a general instead of Twilight sedation? My daughter had that when she had her wisdom teeth out(and they were impacted and had to take a piece of bone out of her jaw), and she was out, out.??

Maybe it depends on the kind of ablation I wonder.

Thanks for all the input so far ladues!:)

You know, I'm not entirely sure I had a tube down my throat. They did say they "might" have to do that, but my throat isn't sore like previous times when I've had surgery, so maybe they didn't do the tube thing.

Other than the actual Novasure procedure, I also had a D&C and hysteroscopy, as well as a biopsy of the endometrial cells, so maybe that's why they did the full general instead of something else. I'm not exactly sure what "twilight" means in this sense, though.

I just had the Novasure this last Tuesday. I did have general anaesthesia with the breathing tube (at least that was what I was told before the surgery) but had no effects from the breathing tube. I woke up within the hour of the surgery. I had a enough pain that they had to give me some pain medication on top of my regular medication. Then when I went home I was having enough cramping that I was counting down the hours till my next pain pill. But after that one, I didn't have any more pain. So far, so good. I had a hystorectopy done too so that the doctor could make sure I had no issues which would make it unadvisable. Why did I have it done? I don't have anemia but I did have heavy periods that had gotten worse after I was put on coumadin. Then along with the heavy periods was the psychological factor of every month trying to figure out is the bleeding still okay or has it reached the point where I need to go to the ER. Not something that is helpful to a peaceful, non anxious life. I was not a candidate for any type of hormonal treatment since I not only have two clots presently, I also am prone to clotting. So far, not only has the bleeding lessened so much that panty liners would be fine, all the cramping has disappeared too. We will see in a month, however.