Menu

Questions for those with music inclined dc

I need some guidance as I consider planning the last two years of dd's high school education. She wants to study music in college, particularly sacred music, but it seems more practical for different reasons that she considers a general music degree or even music education. I am not musically inclined and know nothing.

Dd plays violin but prefers singing. Her vocal experience is only in a church choir. It's a good one but it still a church choir that performs only traditional sacred music. It's a Latin Mass parish so you get the idea.

I've been looking at music programs and I've been trying to figure out how best to prepare her for the future. It seems that any music program would require her to become proficient in piano. She would probably also need voice lessons to prepare her for any auditions since voice would be her primary instrument.

I just thinking we have only so much money and so much time. How can I fit in piano lessons and voice lessons? It seems necessary but is it?

This dd works slowly and an evaluation verified low-processing speed, but has had good academic work verified by outside classes and the NLE.

For her 9th and 10th grade years, this is what will be on her transcript: (We are enrolled in Kolbe Academy so we have a lot of freedom but also certain requirements that we have to fulfill.)

3 English credits (1 Grammar & Comp and 2 literature based courses)

2 Math (Geometry & Algebra 2)

2 Science (Biology & Chemistry)

2 Latin (1 & 2)

2 History (Ancient & Modern)

2 Theology (General & Church history; required every year by Kolbe)

various half-credits in PE/art/music as per Kolbe's method of 1/2 credit for non-academic electives

What type of schedule should I consider for next year? Do I drop some academics? I could probably get away with this since she probably won't be going to a highly competitive college, but is that something I really want to do? That would be hard for me as an academic oriented mom who doesn't want to close any doors too early in the game.

Any thoughts?

TYIA

What I would do is to check the entry requirements of the schools you are looking to attend. If you have enough credits in any of the subject areas, you could consider dropping one of those. I contacted a number of top math schools for my dd and found that different departments have different requirements; for math she didn't need an foreign language requirements at all, so 2 credits will do.

Yes, you do need piano, and it's better to take lessons, particularly in this case. I'd find out what level of proficiency is needed. With her background in violin and her age, she will be able to progress through the first levels fairly quickly if she practices enough. She should also take individual voice lessons if she wants voice as her primary instrument. I took voice for a couple of years with one of the top teachers where I lived (we were also colleagues, both teaching music in the local schools & she was my theory teacher) and she felt strongly that singing in a choir could damage a solo voice (eg opening your mouth too wide is apparently a problem). I'd also find out how much theory she needs ahead of time.

Are you going to completely drop the violin?

What I would do is to check the entry requirements of the schools you are looking to attend. If you have enough credits in any of the subject areas, you could consider dropping one of those. I contacted a number of top math schools for my dd and found that different departments have different requirements; for math she didn't need an foreign language requirements at all, so 2 credits will do.

Yes, you do need piano, and it's better to take lessons, particularly in this case. I'd find out what level of proficiency is needed. With her background in violin and her age, she will be able to progress through the first levels fairly quickly if she practices enough. She should also take individual voice lessons if she wants voice as her primary instrument. I took voice for a couple of years with one of the top teachers where I lived (we were also colleagues, both teaching music in the local schools & she was my theory teacher) and she felt strongly that singing in a choir could damage a solo voice (eg opening your mouth too wide is apparently a problem). I'd also find out how much theory she needs ahead of time.

Are you going to completely drop the violin?

I don't think she would want to drop the violin. She may also need it since the requirements I've seen online sometimes refer to a second instrument. She and her dad also have good times playing Irish music together so I don't want to lose that.

Her violin now is a student model. She was telling me how she noticed that another girl we know plays the same pieces but how much better she sounds. The other girl's instrument has a much better sound. (She's probably more talented too but I didn't tell dd that.) So, I've been thinking if we also need to invest in a better violin at some point.:001_huh:

My Dd plans to major in music. She plays drums and guitar and learning the piano. She goes back and forth between majoring in guitar and drums. She is into metal rock and wants to be a performer. Other than that... she doesn't know what she wants to do in the music field. She is learning classical guitar also and so far she enjoys that a lot.

Anyway, for her high school years she is doing: (she may graduate end of 11th grade, under lined will be end of 10th grade summer, Italics are for 11th grade).

4 1/2 yrs of English (English 10, Composition/Essay, 1/2 World Literature to 1500, 1/2 Poetry Literature, 1/2 credit World Literature since 1500, and one more).

3 yrs of Math (algebra 2, geometry, and statistics or precalculus).

5 yrs of social studies (world history I, world history II, Consumer education/Economics, U.S. history, U.S. Government/Comparative Government).

3 yrs of Integrated Science (Chemistry, Astronomy, Physics, Geology each half year... then a full year of Life Science).

1 credit Health and Life Skills

and the rest are electives...

1 1/2 credits Music Fundamentals I, II, III,

1 credit Music Appreciation/History,

1 credit Advanced Music Theory

1 1/2 credits Applied Music I, II, III (private lessons for guitar, drums, piano, and a metal rock band she plays in).

3 credits P.E. (Kung Fu, Martial Arts tournaments, Cardio training).

3 credits in Chinese (1 cr of self study, two semester at CC).

Edited by AnitaMcC

Her violin now is a student model. She was telling me how she noticed that another girl we know plays the same pieces but how much better she sounds. The other girl's instrument has a much better sound. (She's probably more talented too but I didn't tell dd that.) So, I've been thinking if we also need to invest in a better violin at some point.:001_huh:

Yes, you will eventually need to invest in a better violin. She shouldn't drop the violin even if she stops taking lessons with it.

You say the other girl is probably more talented--do you mean that your dd is talented and the other girl is gifted? That's what I'm guessing you mean. I would hesitate greatly in encouraging a child to major in music if they're not talented :). You don't need talent to enjoy playing, of course.

Yes, you will eventually need to invest in a better violin. She shouldn't drop the violin even if she stops taking lessons with it.

You say the other girl is probably more talented--do you mean that your dd is talented and the other girl is gifted? That's what I'm guessing you mean. I would hesitate greatly in encouraging a child to major in music if they're not talented :). You don't need talent to enjoy playing, of course.

Good question. I honestly don't know how talented she is with the violin. She's played it for years and didn't like it until the last year when she discovered Irish music. Her teacher thinks she's talented enough to take my questions seriously. She's sent other students off to major in music. I've heard some of her students and they are amazing, but some seem to have been playing since they were three. My dd is not in that category.

She's talented in voice, at least that's what I've been told over the years by music teachers, choir directors and the like. I'm hoping to take her to a local music director who has been successful in getting voice scholarships for her students and having her evaluate her potential.

Good question. I honestly don't know how talented she is with the violin. She's played it for years and didn't like it until the last year when she discovered Irish music. Her teacher thinks she's talented enough to take my questions seriously. She's sent other students off to major in music. I've heard some of her students and they are amazing, but some seem to have been playing since they were three. My dd is not in that category.

She's talented in voice, at least that's what I've been told over the years by music teachers, choir directors and the like. I'm hoping to take her to a local music director who has been successful in getting voice scholarships for her students and having her evaluate her potential.

Sounds good:001_smile:. If you don't like an instrument, that will show in your playing, of course. It's great that she's discovered Irish music so that she can use her violin, too. btw, she can catch up to those who started at 3, unless they are students who are highly gifted in music, but she has to have the passion for it. As for voice, you don't have to start that young. The voice teacher I mentioned majored in theory and started voice in university as a minor; she had one of the best soprano voices I've ever heard.

I am also considering a major in music as well. My major would be vocal as well, and I do have to become proficient in piano as well because you cannot sing along with a violin, which stinks because I love violin. I emailed the director of admissions of music at Belmont University in Tennesse and she agreed with what I said and told me waht I needed to do. Here it is:

Hello, Cheyenne!

We are delighted to hear you are interested in our School of Music. Truly, the best way to get information about the School is to check out our website: http://www.belmont.edu/music . This is a great way to learn about the requirements and classes, and even about our students' experience at this School.

I will be honest--our music programs are very competitive and can be quite difficult. There is an audition process to get in (and you can learn more about that on the website, above,) and we have hundreds of students audition every year. Many of these students have been training for years and years on their particular instrument.

One thing you will need to think about in the next couple of years is where you want to focus your studies. You can major in commercial music (which is more contemporary), or classical music, and you'll have to pick your instrument (violin or voice or guitar.) You may have an opportunity to use all three while you're in school, but you'll have to select just one for your focus. If you begin voice and guitar, I recommend starting with classical studies. "Classical" could also be called "the Foundations of Music." That's where you get your technique, your endurance, your precision, and all those other good things that would help you if you wanted to try commercial music, too!

So for right now, find a great teacher, because, just like an Olympic athlete, you can't reach your best and beat out your competition without a good coach! Practice, practice, practice! And give us a call in a couple of years. J We look forward to hearing from you then!

Beth

SCHOOL OF MUSIC ADMISSIONS

Belmont University

1900 Belmont Blvd.

Nashville, TN 37212

Phone: 615-460-8307

Fax: 615-386-0239

www.belmont.edu/music

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:24 PM

To: Belmont Admissions

Subject: Inquiry from Website

The following information was submitted from Belmont's website.

Last Name: Cheyenne

Question or Comment:

Hello,

My name is Cheyenne and I would like to know how hard it is to get into your music program. I do know that you have to audtion for the school of music, and I am really interested in music. I play violin, and am going to be starting guitar and vocals too.

How much experience are you looking for in your students? I have about a year in violin and another two years before I graduate high school.

If you could give me any information about anything involving your music program, please let me know.

Thank you,

Cheyenne

This is what I emailed, and hopefully it helps in some way!

Your dd may be able to self-teach piano to a great degree, especially if you find a cooperative teacher for lessons once a month or so, and a good self-teaching series of piano books. I'd find a teacher who understands your goals (progress towards proficiency so she won't have to begin from zero in conservatory as opposed to artistic/performance achievement) and will work with you towards them.

What I would do is to check the entry requirements of the schools you are looking to attend. If you have enough credits in any of the subject areas, you could consider dropping one of those.

...Yes, you do need piano, and it's better to take lessons, particularly in this case. I'd find out what level of proficiency is needed. With her background in violin and her age, she will be able to progress through the first levels fairly quickly if she practices enough. She should also take individual voice lessons if she wants voice as her primary instrument...

My son ER is a music major, and he played piano, but chose voice as his primary instrument. Music majors at his school are required to take 4 semesters of music theory. Even the non-piano music majors at his school (and the other schools I'm familiar with) all have to take 4 semesters of piano classes and must past a piano proficiency test. All voice majors are required to participate in both of the school's choirs--one is an auditioned choir and the other is not.

Edited by ereks mom

My son ER is a music major, and he played piano, but chose voice as his primary instrument. Music majors at his school are required to take 4 semesters of music theory. Even the non-piano music majors at his school (and the other schools I'm familiar with) all have to take 4 semesters of piano classes and must past a piano proficiency test. All voice majors are required to participate in both of the school's choirs--one is an auditioned choir and the other is not.

If you don't mind me asking, did he have to audition to start as a music major and what was the process like?

Thanks!

My Dd plans to major in music. She plays drums and guitar and learning the piano. She goes back and forth between majoring in guitar and drums. She is into metal rock and wants to be a performer. Other than that... she doesn't know what she wants to do in the music field. She is learning classical guitar also and so far she enjoys that a lot.

Anyway, for her high school years she is doing: (she may graduate end of 11th grade, under lined will be end of 10th grade summer, Italics are for 11th grade).

4 1/2 yrs of English (English 10, Composition/Essay, 1/2 World Literature to 1500, 1/2 Poetry Literature, 1/2 credit World Literature since 1500, and one more).

5 yrs of social studies (world history I, world history II, Consumer education/Economics, U.S. history, U.S. Government/Comparative Government).

3 yrs of Integrated Science (Chemistry, Astronomy, Physics, Geology each half year... then a full year of Life Science).

1 1/2 credits Applied Music I, II, III (private lessons for guitar, drums, piano, and a metal rock band she plays in).

Your dd sounds all-around amazing!

Thanks for sharing all this.

I am also considering a major in music as well. My major would be vocal as well, and I do have to become proficient in piano as well because you cannot sing along with a violin, which stinks because I love violin. I emailed the director of admissions of music at Belmont University in Tennesse and she agreed with what I said and told me waht I needed to do. Here it is:

Hello, Cheyenne!

We are delighted to hear you are interested in our School of Music. Truly, the best way to get information about the School is to check out our website: http://www.belmont.edu/music . This is a great way to learn about the requirements and classes, and even about our students' experience at this School.

I will be honest--our music programs are very competitive and can be quite difficult. There is an audition process to get in (and you can learn more about that on the website, above,) and we have hundreds of students audition every year. Many of these students have been training for years and years on their particular instrument.

One thing you will need to think about in the next couple of years is where you want to focus your studies. You can major in commercial music (which is more contemporary), or classical music, and you'll have to pick your instrument (violin or voice or guitar.) You may have an opportunity to use all three while you're in school, but you'll have to select just one for your focus. If you begin voice and guitar, I recommend starting with classical studies. "Classical" could also be called "the Foundations of Music." That's where you get your technique, your endurance, your precision, and all those other good things that would help you if you wanted to try commercial music, too!

So for right now, find a great teacher, because, just like an Olympic athlete, you can't reach your best and beat out your competition without a good coach! Practice, practice, practice! And give us a call in a couple of years. J We look forward to hearing from you then!

Beth

SCHOOL OF MUSIC ADMISSIONS

Belmont University

1900 Belmont Blvd.

Nashville, TN 37212

Phone: 615-460-8307

Fax: 615-386-0239

www.belmont.edu/music

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:24 PM

To: Belmont Admissions

Subject: Inquiry from Website

The following information was submitted from Belmont's website.

Last Name: Cheyenne

Question or Comment:

Hello,

My name is Cheyenne and I would like to know how hard it is to get into your music program. I do know that you have to audtion for the school of music, and I am really interested in music. I play violin, and am going to be starting guitar and vocals too.

How much experience are you looking for in your students? I have about a year in violin and another two years before I graduate high school.

If you could give me any information about anything involving your music program, please let me know.

Thank you,

Cheyenne

This is what I emailed, and hopefully it helps in some way!

Thanks for letting me see this. Maybe I should have her contact the schools she's interested in to find out more.

Your dd may be able to self-teach piano to a great degree, especially if you find a cooperative teacher for lessons once a month or so, and a good self-teaching series of piano books. I'd find a teacher who understands your goals (progress towards proficiency so she won't have to begin from zero in conservatory as opposed to artistic/performance achievement) and will work with you towards them.

Thank you for this suggestion. Do you have any recommendations for a good self-teaching series?

Do you know anyone who has done this successfully? If so, were they accepted into a classical music program or something else?

If a school is highly competitive and you are entereing a classical program this may not work. Piano is highly technical and I have yet to meet someone who can get the correct technique with a monthly lesson at these levels. However, if there are people who have done this, I'd like to know about it and what they used. I'm not talking about popular music, where I do know successful musicians who taught themselves by ear, etc., although it was a lot of hard work. That isn't nearly as technically demanding (I've played both.)

Anita,

Your daughter sounds so much like my daughter, right down to the interest in metal rock!

Can you tell me what you're doing for her Music Appreciation/History and Fundamentals credits?

Thank you!

Edited by Imprimis

Kelli, I think you're wise to keep a lot of doors open for her and seek the counsel of her teachers. I'm not sure of every school, but the university I went to let anyone into the major as a freshman. After they had been in the program, they had to prepare for "platforms" where they were given the hardknocks advice from the faculty and steered one way or another. It was a sweating time for a lot of kids.

I think the thing to remember is that a "music major" is not the only way her love of music can play out. It's good to know what she's good at, but what does she want to DO with it? I have an aunt who did music therapy as a career, worked in VA hospitals. It was a very good job. I have another aunt, who is also good in music, is got a degree in accounting, works at a business, and uses her music on Sundays in the church. Different ways it plays out. She could also go music ed. There are lots of ways to use music.

Just as a suggestion, how about pursuing organ? She would do some piano first then head over. It's a less common instrument (than say a violin, tons of competition there) and fits her sacred music interests. If she gets good, it will open doors.

If you don't mind me asking, did he have to audition to start as a music major and what was the process like?

Thanks!

Not ereks mom, but my son is a freshman at a liberal arts college, and while he hasn't declared a major yet, it is likely that he will major in music. Voice is his primary instrument, but he also takes piano lessons, for proficiency with theory and keyboard skills. He did have to audition, and the process was fairly straightforward. He auditioned at two schools and sent a CD to the others. This is where your dd will have an advantage if she takes voice lessons; her teacher can help her prepare appropriate repertoire.

Keyboard skills are important, but since she is playing the violin, she is getting some theory and, obviously, note-reading skill. If you can afford it, and you can find a teacher who understands your goals, then I would recommend piano lessons. (My son only had piano lessons for three years prior to going off to college. When I realized how serious he was about singing, I told him I didn't want him to die in music theory 101, like most of the singers I knew when I was in college. ;) ) If you don't have an instrument in the house, and you don't have the time or funds to support those lessons, not having piano shouldn't prevent her from getting accepted into a good school. That was confusing. I mean, it won't kill if she doesn't take piano right now. She can always take keyboard in college.

Anita,

Your daughter sounds so much like my daughter, right down to the interest in metal rock!

Can you tell me what you're doing for her Music Appreciation/History and Fundamentals credits?

Thank you!

LOL, I have no idea where or how my Dd loves metal rock!!!! To me the metal stuff is just screaming.:lol: But take out the so-called singing and I like the music.

Music Fundamentals: "Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory" Book 1, 2, and 3.

Music Appreciation/History: "Music, An Appreciation" by Roger Kamien, 1976 edition and "What to Listen for in Music" by Aaron Copland.

She uses these books for most of the work and her music teachers supplement them also. We get music CD's from the library or her teachers have some that they lend to us for her listening exercises.

She also does a research/essay project related to each musical period (Middle Ages, The Renaissance, The Baroque Period, The Classical Period, The Romantic Period, The 20th Century, Jazz, Rock, and Non-Western Music).

The Kamien and Copland books also cover some fundamentals.

Music theory, music theory, music theory!!!!

When I went to Baylor, I had to audition and take a theory test. I played the piano a little bit, and theory had always been easy for me in my school choir. BUT... I totally flunked the theory entrance exam. Why?? EAR TRAINING. They would play something and you write down what it was: intervals, chords, meodies, etc. I thought it was all written and I wasn't expecting it. So I had to take a remedial theory class before I took the 4 real ones. Ear training isn't THAT hard. I mean a fourth sounds like The Eyes of Texas, another interval sounds like STar Wars, etc. But I walked into that test having absolutely no idea about ear training. I could write out any scale on a line, tell you key signatures, transpose something, etc. But I had never had someone play something on the piano and expect me to write it down.

As far as piano, if she is a music education major then she will have to take some and get to a certain proficiency. But most vocal majors can't play well, so they don't expect much when you get there. They had group classes for the beginning levels. I only had to do that for a semester, then I got to do private lessons. It only took me 2 years to reach proficiency, but it took most students nearly 4.

Theory is the class that is like accounting for business majors or Biology for pre-med. It weeds people out. My baby theory class was easy and in fact, I only had to attend half the time. She would teach a concept. She would give a test. If we made an A, then we didn't have to attend for the next week or two while she worked with the others. Once I learned a few techniques, it wasn't all that hard. First semester theory wasn't bad either, but 2nd semester was tough for ear training. I always made an A on the written section and a C on the ear training part. Your daughter would probably have an edge with the violin with her ear, but someone needs to say, "This is in the key of A. " Then play the 1st 5th and 4th of the key to get it in her ear. Then play a short melody and have her write it down on the staff. I sure wish someone had done that with me!!! I was so clueless. I was top of the theory info for my ps ( most kids couldn't read music) but at the bottom in college.

Christine

:iagree:

I was a music ed/trumpet perf major at Ithaca College, and boy did I wish I had had even rudimentary piano and ear training when I got there. We had 6 semesters of theory, 4 semesters of keyboard (at the end of each semester we had to pass a jury), and 4 semesters of sight-singing (As part of this class we had to play the piano right hand, sing the left and conduct with our left, then switch and play the left, sing the right and conduct with our right... all four semesters, every week. I guess it's good preparation to be a choir director! We also had to identify intervals and chords and write melodies/harmonies upon hearing them, and sing from sheet music without hearing it first). Then there were the composition and analysis classes.... IOW, piano proficiency from the get-go would have helped me - a lot. I think of all the things I had to do in music school, the sight singing stuff was the most nerve wracking because I felt so underprepared -so many of the other students had prior piano training --- even the wind players.

Which is not to say that people don't suck it up and muddle through, I certainly did.... but guess which instrument all my kids play? :)

ITA with Christine -- It would be fantastic if you could find a theory class or two in your area for her to take before applying... as someone mentioned there are theory proficiency exams at some schools upon entry --- maybe even as part of the application process? I have noticed that Pennsylvania Homeschoolers offers the Music Theory AP class online....

Best of luck to your dd. There are so many avenues available to people who love music... I know she can find her way.

Edited by Jen in NY
added class description

My Dd goes to http://www.mwmusicacademy.com/ for her music instruction for now. Her teacher for guitar and piano is the owner, and then she also takes lessons with a drum instructor.

They work with Dd in many areas of music. Dd is pretty much self taught on guitar and drums. They are filling in her gaps with the other stuff and helping her improve her sight reading. She played clarinet 5th through 7th grades so she had some ability in reading, but not strong. She has great ear training and rhythm ability. Her teachers and many others are shocked at what she can do. When she started her lessons the teacher said the way she plays guitar and drums is like she has been playing and getting formal training for years. That even at age 13 she was way advanced in her ability to play by ear and creating her own music. Now I am trusting that her teachers are not exagerating her abilities!!!!!!

She has been at it for a year and half with them. They teach her ear training, music theory, fundamentals, etc. She is learning piano and it is coming along... slowly. Piano is not her strength. She takes private lessons every week for guitar, drums, and piano. We figure she will have 3 yrs of such lessons before attending college so hopefully she will be prepared.

Most of what she does at home for her music courses are what her music teachers recommend. She is currently planning to major in drums for college. But she also does very well in electric guitar and her teacher is introducing Dd to classical guitar. Dd isn't into jazz music at all for some reason... but she loves metal and enjoys classical. Too very extremes in music taste-LOL.

When I went to Baylor, I had to audition and take a theory test. I played the piano a little bit, and theory had always been easy for me in my school choir. BUT... I totally flunked the theory entrance exam. Why?? EAR TRAINING. They would play something and you write down what it was: intervals, chords, meodies, etc. I thought it was all written and I wasn't expecting it.

Christine

Find out what the schools require. I did ear tests with performance exams, not theory. If there are ear tests, find out what they need to know, because there are different levels, and, therefore, different degrees of difficulty. eg naming a chord as major or minor is easier than having to say if it's in the tonic position or one of the inversions (chords have 4 notes, not 3; triads have 3 and are easier still.) I had to do play backs, too, for melodies. Those can vary in length, and whether or not you are listening to just the melody or if there is another line of music playing at the same time, etc. Intervals are common, of course, broken and solid. In addition, I had to listen to clapped rhythms and clap them back. Good preparation with a good teacher makes all the difference. I don't remember everything we did, but those were most of them.

LOL, I have no idea where or how my Dd loves metal rock!!!! To me the metal stuff is just screaming.:lol: But take out the so-called singing and I like the music.

Music Appreciation/History: "Music, An Appreciation" by Roger Kamien, 1976 edition and "What to Listen for in Music" by Aaron Copland.

She uses these books for most of the work and her music teachers supplement them also. We get music CD's from the library or her teachers have some that they lend to us for her listening exercises.

She also does a research/essay project related to each musical period (Middle Ages, The Renaissance, The Baroque Period, The Classical Period, The Romantic Period, The 20th Century, Jazz, Rock, and Non-Western Music).

The Kamien and Copland books also cover some fundamentals.

Thanks!

My daughter gets a lot of theory in her piano class, as her instructor really focuses on that aspect of teaching, but I was looking for something we could do at home as far as music history and appreciation.

Kelli, I think you're wise to keep a lot of doors open for her and seek the counsel of her teachers. I'm not sure of every school, but the university I went to let anyone into the major as a freshman. After they had been in the program, they had to prepare for "platforms" where they were given the hardknocks advice from the faculty and steered one way or another. It was a sweating time for a lot of kids.

I think the thing to remember is that a "music major" is not the only way her love of music can play out. It's good to know what she's good at, but what does she want to DO with it? I have an aunt who did music therapy as a career, worked in VA hospitals. It was a very good job. I have another aunt, who is also good in music, is got a degree in accounting, works at a business, and uses her music on Sundays in the church. Different ways it plays out. She could also go music ed. There are lots of ways to use music.

Just as a suggestion, how about pursuing organ? She would do some piano first then head over. It's a less common instrument (than say a violin, tons of competition there) and fits her sacred music interests. If she gets good, it will open doors.

Organ is an interesting idea.

I just learned there is a university close to us that has a music therapy program. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Dh is very musically talented. I've seen him pick up various instruments for the first time and play something that sounds good. It's just his ear and his intuiton. Though he is gifted that way, he says if he had to study it or make it a profession, it would take all the joy out of it. Maybe dd will be the same way. Only time will tell.

Dd would not like this thought, but a five year plan would be ideal for her. That way she would have time for all the traditional academics and the voice and piano and theory and organ....

When I went to Baylor, I had to audition and take a theory test. I played the piano a little bit, and theory had always been easy for me in my school choir. BUT... I totally flunked the theory entrance exam. Why?? EAR TRAINING. They would play something and you write down what it was: intervals, chords, meodies, etc. I thought it was all written and I wasn't expecting it. So I had to take a remedial theory class before I took the 4 real ones. Ear training isn't THAT hard. I mean a fourth sounds like The Eyes of Texas, another interval sounds like STar Wars, etc. But I walked into that test having absolutely no idea about ear training. I could write out any scale on a line, tell you key signatures, transpose something, etc. But I had never had someone play something on the piano and expect me to write it down.

As far as piano, if she is a music education major then she will have to take some and get to a certain proficiency. But most vocal majors can't play well, so they don't expect much when you get there. They had group classes for the beginning levels. I only had to do that for a semester, then I got to do private lessons. It only took me 2 years to reach proficiency, but it took most students nearly 4.

Theory is the class that is like accounting for business majors or Biology for pre-med. It weeds people out. My baby theory class was easy and in fact, I only had to attend half the time. She would teach a concept. She would give a test. If we made an A, then we didn't have to attend for the next week or two while she worked with the others. Once I learned a few techniques, it wasn't all that hard. First semester theory wasn't bad either, but 2nd semester was tough for ear training. I always made an A on the written section and a C on the ear training part. Your daughter would probably have an edge with the violin with her ear, but someone needs to say, "This is in the key of A. " Then play the 1st 5th and 4th of the key to get it in her ear. Then play a short melody and have her write it down on the staff. I sure wish someone had done that with me!!! I was so clueless. I was top of the theory info for my ps ( most kids couldn't read music) but at the bottom in college.

Christine

Gotta look into music theory options. I don't even know what that is.:001_huh:

Thank you for this suggestion. Do you have any recommendations for a good self-teaching series?

Well, it seems that every teacher has a different favorite, and so you might want to consult whatever teacher will serve as your occasional consultant/coach, but this series has been recommended to me by several teachers who I respect.

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-All---One-Course-Lesson-Theory-Technic/dp/0882848186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295227492&sr=8-1

You might also consider

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Assessment/dp/073906861X/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295227617&sr=1-1-catcorr

which is a WONDERFUL self-teaching theory program. It is piano-based but applicable to any instrument. All my dc are learning a great deal from it, although it seems most appropriate for 10&up.

HTH

If your daughter is looking for more ideas for different fiddle styles, you might look at Alternative Strings:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Strings-Curriculum-Softcover-Amadeus/dp/1574670891

It's got some suggestions for various books teaching different fiddle styles. (I'm not sure there's enough in there to justify buying it. I got it through interlibrary loan.)

Or you could just search your library with the keyword "fiddle" and see what you get. (Actually, by the time I got Alternative Strings, I'd already discovered most of her book suggestions by doing this sort of search at our library.)

There are a lot more styles than Irish fiddling and she might find a few that also excite her.

One book that I just got recently is Gypsy Violin by Mary Ann Harbar. (It's put out by Mel Bay). It's not a beginning book (a lot of it is played beyond first position), but if she's just started shifting or is ready to try, this might be something to challenge her. (And if she's already well into shifting, this book is still fun.)

The classical music that teachers tend to assign their students doesn't necessarily excite everyone. Sometimes it's a good idea to find some other styles.

Or you can just start wandering around youtube for things:

(The violinist teaches Suzuki violin, by the way.)

FWIW, most of the music majors I knew could barely play piano (if at all, unless they were piano majors) and knew just about no theory or ear training when they started college. They learned when they got there. It will probably make her life easier if she has a head start, but I wouldn't panic if something else more worthwhile takes up her time.

For learning piano, she might do best to skip a lot of the early piano instruction books. They'll probably just bore her. My kids pretty much taught themselves piano using the Popular Repertoire in the Faber series. But they most certainly didn't start with book 1 and they couldn't be bothered with any of the lesson books. For a kid who can already read music and has some muscle coordination, you might want to start in level 4-5 of that series. After that you could perhaps go to one of the standard early "repertoire" books. Something like Easy Classics to Moderns comes to mind, but a teacher might be able to point you in the direction of some if she knows what sort of musical interests your daughter has. (The Alfred solo books in the later grades also have some interesting music that an older student with musical knowledge could probably figure out.)

However "learning" piano for a music major may have more to do with learning how to play chord sequences and transposing and accompanying than actually being able to play from the piano repertoire. It seems I hear different things in this regard and it might be a good idea to find out from the colleges she's interested in as to what they're expecting. If you could get a syllabus or course objectives from the ear training and piano courses that might give you some indication as to what to aim for.

My niece who started out as a music major (on clarinet) could play piano when she started college, but not terribly well. She did not pass the piano proficiency exam and seemed to be of the opinion that if she'd only paid attention to all that theory her teacher had tried to teach her she might have done better. That was that school and her experience. Not sure how universal that is.

Well, it seems that every teacher has a different favorite, and so you might want to consult whatever teacher will serve as your occasional consultant/coach, but this series has been recommended to me by several teachers who I respect.

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-All---One-Course-Lesson-Theory-Technic/dp/0882848186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295227492&sr=8-1

HTH

I've taught teens and adults with this, and it's something you can definitely start with. However, as I said before, I'd get a teacher. While I am not a fan of once a month lessons, you could look for lessons every other week, or once a week to start and then go to every other week.

How much theory is she getting with her piano teacher? Is it as part of her lesson? I'd find out how much you need.

As for music history, I used the fifth edition of the Joseph Machlis book, The Enjoyment of Music: An Introduction to Perceptive Listening for history. It has music history of Art music from medeival music on as well as a chapter on The Materials of Music. There are at least 11 editions, and the newer ones include CDs for the listening part http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Joseph+Machlis#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Joseph+Machlis+enjoyment+of+music&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AJoseph+Machlis+enjoyment+of+music This link lists different ones.

You can get the text only, but then you have to find the music yourself, and how easy that is depends on what you own and what you have at the library. I wouldn't get the shorter edition.

Edited by Karin

When I entered college (at a small LAC), music was not even on my radar, yet I ended up doing a double-major in music and history ... and then got a doctorate in music (I wrote a dissertation on sacred music, actually). So I would say that any preparation you can do in high school is great, but it's not the end of the world if your daughter is less knowledgeable in some areas. But she'll certainly find it easier if she has a start on some things.

A head start in music theory is great; I also had ear training, sight singing, and dictation as part of my music theory courses. It's also important to realize that piano proficiency is not just playing piano pieces well--if she can work on score-reading (sight-read and reduce a multi-part score like a string quartet or a symphony) and general sight-reading skills, that would certainly come in handy.

I would also do an overview of music history in her final two years of high school. Maybe Gregorian chant through Baroque or early Classical in 11th and then Classical through modern in 12th. Many colleges and universities use Norton's A History of Western Music (Grout/Palisca/Burkholder), and you might consider using it as a spine. You certainly don't have to cover or read everything, but it could give you an idea as to what things to focus on (my big gripe with K-12 music curricula is the shortchanging of pre-Baroque music).

Does your daughter have any idea what she wants to focus on? Performance, theory, history, education?

Thanks to all who kindly responded. :grouphug:

I have made an appointment with the highly regarded voice teacher to listen to dd.

For piano, I will wait until my other dds' $7 per lesson piano teacher is back from her summer in Florida. That gives me a few months to chill. Meanwhile, a younger dd who is rather serious about learning piano and practices diligently may try a new teacher who isn't on vacation for more than half the year, but costs more.:001_smile:

Thanks to all who kindly responded. :grouphug:

I have made an appointment with the highly regarded voice teacher to listen to dd.

For piano, I will wait until my other dds' $7 per lesson piano teacher is back from her summer in Florida. That gives me a few months to chill. Meanwhile, a younger dd who is rather serious about learning piano and practices diligently may try a new teacher who isn't on vacation for more than half the year, but costs more.:001_smile:

$7 / lesson? :svengo:

Wow. If she's good, that's an incredible bargain!

$7 / lesson? :svengo:

Wow. If she's good, that's an incredible bargain!

Yes, the price is amazing, and she's incredibly sweet. She's also five minutes from home. Unfortunately, she's away so much so little progress is being made so I can't even tell how good she is.

When I entered college (at a small LAC), music was not even on my radar, yet I ended up doing a double-major in music and history ... and then got a doctorate in music (I wrote a dissertation on sacred music, actually). So I would say that any preparation you can do in high school is great, but it's not the end of the world if your daughter is less knowledgeable in some areas. But she'll certainly find it easier if she has a start on some things.

A head start in music theory is great; I also had ear training, sight singing, and dictation as part of my music theory courses. It's also important to realize that piano proficiency is not just playing piano pieces well--if she can work on score-reading (sight-read and reduce a multi-part score like a string quartet or a symphony) and general sight-reading skills, that would certainly come in handy.

I would also do an overview of music history in her final two years of high school. Maybe Gregorian chant through Baroque or early Classical in 11th and then Classical through modern in 12th. Many colleges and universities use Norton's A History of Western Music (Grout/Palisca/Burkholder), and you might consider using it as a spine. You certainly don't have to cover or read everything, but it could give you an idea as to what things to focus on (my big gripe with K-12 music curricula is the shortchanging of pre-Baroque music).

Does your daughter have any idea what she wants to focus on? Performance, theory, history, education?

Thank you for the music history suggestion. If dd wind up not pursuing a music major, she will most likely end up in history. In any case, I'm sure she'll continue studying history. She wants to write historical fiction. Wouldn't it be interesting if she could work the music into her writing somehow?

At this point, I don't think she has any idea of what to focus on. I think she likes performance but she is really an unlikely type of performer. She's rather shy and hates to be the focus of attention. Her love of sacred music was really responsible for her overcoming her fear of singing in public.

We're trying to find out more about careers in music like music therapy and education.

(my big gripe with K-12 music curricula is the shortchanging of pre-Baroque music).

:iagree:, which is why I mentioned the Machlis, since it has those. Gregorian chants are an important part of studying the history of Western Music. I'm not familiar with the Norton, but now you have two to choose from. One of the things I like about the Machlis is that it includes listening to music, but the Norton one may do this as well.

:iagree:, which is why I mentioned the Machlis, since it has those. Gregorian chants are an important part of studying the history of Western Music. I'm not familiar with the Norton, but now you have two to choose from. One of the things I like about the Machlis is that it includes listening to music, but the Norton one may do this as well.

Machlis is usually used in nonmajor courses, and as such, it doesn't require knowing how to read music, though I'm sure it helps, and it's very light on theory. Another good option in this vein is Joseph Kerman's Listen. Norton is often a core text for the music history sequence taken by majors. There are two score anthologies (and CD sets) that accompany the text. It's expensive, but you could probably find older editions for less. It seems like new editions come out every four to five years, so you'd be fine going back one or two editions to save money.

I ended up being very happy that I had my undergrad history background, since my dissertation ended up drawing on a lot of it. Besides music education, another option is to go the PhD route and teach at a college or university.

I think she likes performance but she is really an unlikely type of performer. She's rather shy and hates to be the focus of attention.

That sounds like my DH :) She might like to join a group that does early music. Some do 1-2 per part, so she wouldn't be lost in a big choir but also wouldn't be the center of attention.

Is it important for her to have a Latin Mass choir wherever she ends up (because that could limit her options)? Unfortunately, the music at many Catholic colleges/universities and Newman Centers is pretty dismal (I do know of a few good places from personal experience and close acquaintances, if you'd like to PM me). Would she be interested in being a church musician, since sacred music is her passion? In that case, I'd definitely recommend branching into organ and strengthening her keyboard skills. She'd also want to get some training in conducting in college.

Machlis is usually used in nonmajor courses, and as such, it doesn't require knowing how to read music, though I'm sure it helps, and it's very light on theory.

Right, no theory and more at a high school level, whereas you mentioned yours is used in college and at least one poster already has theory covered :). The exams I took on this book were at precollege levels and required you to be able to read music to ID themes from the various pieces discussed. I know it because it has been the text used for the RCMT extension exams for years, although now it's the 10th edition. It doesn't go through history in order, unless they've rearranged it in the later editions.

Have you looked into any sacred music programs at all? Here in Australia we only have one sacred music program (Australian Catholic University) but they are really quite good in that their entrance requirements are quite low compared to other institutions with general music programs but the quality of their graduates is quite high so they must be doing something right. There is also quite a lot of work in church music if you look in the right places. I know ACU requires a first instrument of either voice or piano/organ having a second iinstrument (violin for your DD) is an advantage. So she would definitely need to study voice before applying for a sacred music program. Good luck to her :)

Just adding this made me lol

Norton is often a core text for the music history sequence taken by majors. There are two score anthologies (and CD sets) that accompany the text. It's expensive, but you could probably find older editions for less. It seems like new editions come out every four to five years, so you'd be fine going back one or two editions to save money.

Yep, Norton Anthology is what we studied in first year when I was 17! FWIW it does include pre and Gregorian chant.

Right, no theory and more at a high school level, whereas you mentioned yours is used in college and at least one poster already has theory covered :). The exams I took on this book were at precollege levels and required you to be able to read music to ID themes from the various pieces discussed. I know it because it has been the text used for the RCMT extension exams for years, although now it's the 10th edition. It doesn't go through history in order, unless they've rearranged it in the later editions.

There is actually no theory instruction in Norton (so it's not going teach the nitty gritty of augmented sixth chords, for isntance); it's just that the discussion pieces and musical trends incorporates theory knowledge, though definitely not at advanced a level as a music major would know upon graduating. Conversely, I think that a student absorb some theory knowledge from going through Norton, especially if she already has some knowledge of music through performance. Having taught out of both Norton and Machlis, I still lean towards Norton if 1) she wants to challenge herself and 2) she wants a more scholarsly approach to music.

Machlis is not in chronological order, but you could probably re-order the larger sections. My vague memory is that chant through Renaissance is the third chunk, so you could probably start with it first. One thing I really like about the accompanying score anthology (which I think is in chronological order) is that it is good for beginning score readers. It highlights which part is important at a given time, which helps if you've never read a symphonic score. I would hesitate to use it on its own, though, as depending on that kind of highlighting can become a crutch.

If your daughter is looking for more ideas for different fiddle styles, you might look at Alternative Strings:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Strings-Curriculum-Softcover-Amadeus/dp/1574670891

It's got some suggestions for various books teaching different fiddle styles. (I'm not sure there's enough in there to justify buying it. I got it through interlibrary loan.)

Or you could just search your library with the keyword "fiddle" and see what you get. (Actually, by the time I got Alternative Strings, I'd already discovered most of her book suggestions by doing this sort of search at our library.)

There are a lot more styles than Irish fiddling and she might find a few that also excite her.

One book that I just got recently is Gypsy Violin by Mary Ann Harbar. (It's put out by Mel Bay). It's not a beginning book (a lot of it is played beyond first position), but if she's just started shifting or is ready to try, this might be something to challenge her. (And if she's already well into shifting, this book is still fun.)

The classical music that teachers tend to assign their students doesn't necessarily excite everyone. Sometimes it's a good idea to find some other styles.

Or you can just start wandering around youtube for things:

(The violinist teaches Suzuki violin, by the way.)

FWIW, most of the music majors I knew could barely play piano (if at all, unless they were piano majors) and knew just about no theory or ear training when they started college. They learned when they got there. It will probably make her life easier if she has a head start, but I wouldn't panic if something else more worthwhile takes up her time.

For learning piano, she might do best to skip a lot of the early piano instruction books. They'll probably just bore her. My kids pretty much taught themselves piano using the Popular Repertoire in the Faber series. But they most certainly didn't start with book 1 and they couldn't be bothered with any of the lesson books. For a kid who can already read music and has some muscle coordination, you might want to start in level 4-5 of that series. After that you could perhaps go to one of the standard early "repertoire" books. Something like Easy Classics to Moderns comes to mind, but a teacher might be able to point you in the direction of some if she knows what sort of musical interests your daughter has. (The Alfred solo books in the later grades also have some interesting music that an older student with musical knowledge could probably figure out.)

However "learning" piano for a music major may have more to do with learning how to play chord sequences and transposing and accompanying than actually being able to play from the piano repertoire. It seems I hear different things in this regard and it might be a good idea to find out from the colleges she's interested in as to what they're expecting. If you could get a syllabus or course objectives from the ear training and piano courses that might give you some indication as to what to aim for.

My niece who started out as a music major (on clarinet) could play piano when she started college, but not terribly well. She did not pass the piano proficiency exam and seemed to be of the opinion that if she'd only paid attention to all that theory her teacher had tried to teach her she might have done better. That was that school and her experience. Not sure how universal that is.

Thank you for all of this. I think I'll pass it on to dd.:)

There is actually no theory instruction in Norton (so it's not going teach the nitty gritty of augmented sixth chords, for isntance); it's just that the discussion pieces and musical trends incorporates theory knowledge, though definitely not at advanced a level as a music major would know upon graduating. Conversely, I think that a student absorb some theory knowledge from going through Norton, especially if she already has some knowledge of music through performance. Having taught out of both Norton and Machlis, I still lean towards Norton if 1) she wants to challenge herself and 2) she wants a more scholarsly approach to music.

Thanks. I don't care for the order of Machlis, either, and if I do get a dc who is more serious about music in high school, I'll keep the Norton in mind, since they might not want to use my old book, anyway.

).

I mean this gently, although I don't always write that way. I don't think that those books should count as 1/2 a credit each as there isn't nearly enough covered, and I think you'll find that any music school you apply to that is any good will feel the same way. You may be able to get 1 credit out of all three if you do everything they ask and include the ear training, too, but that would be it at the most. The first book covers very easy material that isn't high school level work, but could count as part of a high school course if it is a first level theory course.

If any of my dc suddenly decide that they want to be future music majors, I would give my theory credits as follows:

Rudiments of Theory (everything in theory prior to harmony & counterpoint) along with ear training and anything else I thought we needed to add (I did my theory separately from school, so didn't get credit for anything except the performance exams which required theory to be counted, but the material in the first book is very basic, and I teach that to my students from the very beginning of their studies a bit at a time. At the MOST I'd give one credit for completing all of the rudiments of theory.

Harmony/Counterpoint. I don't know yet how I would do this, but if I chose to do the books I did for Harmony (if they are still in print) I would give 1/2-1 credit per book (they are very thick, but it's been a long time since I did it so I don't remember how much time it took.) As for Counterpoint, I'd probably do a 1/2 credit course in it somewhere.

Edited by Karin

I mean this gently, although I don't always write that way. I don't think that those books should count as 1/2 a credit each as there isn't nearly enough covered, and I think you'll find that any music school you apply to that is any good will feel the same way. You may be able to get 1 credit out of all three if you do everything they ask and include the ear training, too, but that would be it at the most. The first book covers very easy material that isn't high school level work, but could count as part of a high school course if it is a first level theory course.

Thank you for your advice!! I will look into it. I am not a musically talented or educated. I did play clarinet from 5th grade through 12th grade, but that was for my enjoyment. I haven't studied music or played the clarinet it in 20+ yrs-LOL. I played one semester in college for fun but it just was too uncomfortable anymore with my jaw issues.

I just figured that because Dd also gets theory lessons with her music teachers, plus she gets more music theory with the Kamien and Copland books that it was enough. I don't count the first unit in her Kamien text for credit in music appreciation/history. I just had her read over it and do some quizzes anyway and counting it towards her fundamentals credits.

But she will be earning her associates degree before going on to a music school (she is wanting to attend Berkely in Boston). So I really wasn't too concerned about her high school credits meshing to what the Berkely or other music school would look at. And to be honest... I have my doubts of her going beyond an associates in music. But we are setting goals for her to get bachelors. I just don't think she will be that interested... We will see.

Just adding my experience---

I was a voice performance major @ the Univ. of Tenn (class of '83)

I had:

2 yrs Music Theory (We used the Harmony book too.)

2 yrs Music History (Gregorian Chant to 20th cent.) (Used Grout's Western music)

1 yr Sight singing/Ear training

lessons 2x week + weekly "all the student of teacher sing for each other" class

a performance group every semester (opera, choir, etc)

1 yr acting

1 semester pedagogy class

Piano (either class piano or private lessons depending on proficiency.)

I didn't have to audition specifically for the program, but I'd been a finalist for the Grace Moore Scholarship so they'd all heard me then.

I would suggest really studying theory (ever heard of a French 6th?), be conversant w/Western Civ since the music follows that, and get the best at piano you can.

Also, I may be a Scrooge, but I don't recommend a performance major anyway. If you're looking for performance jobs, what matters is your performance resume and in some circles, who you studied with. Get the degree in something for the "day job" that can support your music habit. Minor in music or double major (if you can stand the hours), but get the degree is something that will help you in the job market.

Edited by K-FL

Did anyone post this site already?:

http://classes.berklee.edu/et/

It's ear training supplemental studies for Berklee music students.

I didn't find answers, but with the early ones, at least, it's fairly easy to see if you've written down the right notes if you play back what you've got and compare.

I was looking for something that had harmonic ear training exercises in addition to melodic exercises -- maybe some in the later "grades" are this sort. I'll have to look.