Menu

Lumps in pierced ears -- what should I do?

My dd got her ears pierced 3 years ago. She often has lumps in the pierced area -- feels like a smallish pea. Right now she has a lump in one ear piercing but not in the other. On the rare occasions when she wants to change earrings, it's hard to get the earrings back in.

My other dd, who got her ears pierced at the same time, used to have the same problem but she massaged the area and she said some white goo came out :ack2: ; she no longer seems to have the little lumps. My cousin also told me to have her massage the lump.

Should I try to get her to do the massage thing (she is 7) or is there something else I should do to treat it? She only wears Simply Whispers nickel-free earrings so I wouldn't think it's due to a metal allergy.

Ideas?

I would say to massage as well, but if that doesn't do the job, perhaps it might be a keloid issue? I don't know your ethnicity (many folks with darker skin are subject to keloids), but I know when I have had piercings and my surgery, I've had to deal with them. :) HTH.

She could also be developing cysts in the area. The white goo might be from that. Cysts can just sit there for a while, or get infected and inflamed, in which case they get pus everywhere and eventually break down and go away. :ack2: If they hurt or are getting in the way of the earrings, I'd say have a doctor take a look at it (though the doc might well do nothing--but at least you would know better what it is).

ohhh, loved Trixie Beldon series!

I've always have challenges with my ears--lumps, goo, etc. Even wearing solid gold (white gold allergy, so that doesn't work) it's still an issue after three decades. LOL

I just wash it thoroughly with soap and water, and use rubbing alcohol almost daily. This includes both the ears and the earrings. The earrings might need to be changed periodically.

My ears have done that for years, even after not wearing them for years. It is almost like a pimple, but sometimes it hurts, and I have to "pop" them. It rarely happens to both ears at the same time.

I wish that I could offer some great advice, but I can't. If you ever find out what works, please post so that I can try it as well.

Good Luck,

Cassandra

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I am going to try cleaning her ears 3x a day with the solution. Also I'm going to massage the lumps using a warm wet washcloth. Maybe the heat & moisture will help...?

I don't think they are keloids, unless keloids also occur in people with northern/eastern European heritage? But cysts are possible so I will ask the doctor if the lumps don't resolve soon.

Yes, I do like the Trixie books. I don't have all of them (missing 2 of the last 5 written; I was in hs/college at that point and felt a bit silly buying them then!) but I still enjoy re-reading them periodically and hope that my dds will like them too. :)

My ears have done this for many, many years, too. I tend to think it's an auto-immune sort of reaction. I can treat the ears with an antiseptic and it clears. It generally does not cause problems. I cannot wear certain types of earrings or it makes the problem worse. I haven't worn earrings at all for many years, but my holes have not grown in and I still occasionally experience this.