Menu

Question about dual credit HS/CC

I was reading a thread a few weeks ago, talking about dual credit with the local community college while in high school. Someone asked why not just graduate them early from high school and let them attend college; some answers were "to maintain freshman status". Can someone explain to me why that's important? (I'm a few years away from having one in high school, but I'm still interested ;)

I was reading a thread a few weeks ago, talking about dual credit with the local community college while in high school. Someone asked why not just graduate them early from high school and let them attend college; some answers were "to maintain freshman status". Can someone explain to me why that's important? (I'm a few years away from having one in high school, but I'm still interested ;)

1) Most colleges offer more scholarship money to incoming freshman than they do to transfer students.

2) Many graduate schools and people do not consider a community college class to "usually" be as deep and rigorous as a good 4 year college (eg English 101 might have the same name, but not the same education within).

Therefore, for many including myself, cc works as honors high school classes where one might also be able to transfer some credits to a 4 year school, but we definitely don't consider it - or want it considered - as their "college." I just want a couple of classes for my boys so they can have outside confirmation of mommy grades and/or take a class I can't really offer here at home (such as microbio with a good lab).

That said, cc is a perfect path for many who want it, and in those cases, graduating early instead of dually enrolling makes sense.

1) Most colleges offer more scholarship money to incoming freshman than they do to transfer students.

2) Many graduate schools and people do not consider a community college class to "usually" be as deep and rigorous as a good 4 year college (eg English 101 might have the same name, but not the same education within).

Therefore, for many including myself, cc works as honors high school classes where one might also be able to transfer some credits to a 4 year school, but we definitely don't consider it - or want it considered - as their "college." I just want a couple of classes for my boys so they can have outside confirmation of mommy grades and/or take a class I can't really offer here at home (such as microbio with a good lab).

That said, cc is a perfect path for many who want it, and in those cases, graduating early instead of dually enrolling makes sense.

:iagree: Both reasons you listed play a part in our high school planning. Mostly, I'm looking for more advanced courses and outside accountability for my students (which I cannot give at home) *before* heading to the university environment.

I teach a class at the local CC that is frequently used for dual enrollment and am frequently asked about homeschooling by other professors who have had good and bad experiences with homeschooled students.

We hear about the wonders of the 18 y.o. who graduates from homeschooling and gets their associate's degree on the same day. It is not uncommon at the school where I work for the top student in a graduating class to be this type of student.

But there's the rest of the story. Early community college is sometimes a disaster too. I've failed a fair number of homeschooled students, and know of several cases where the parents started them off with a full CC courseload at 15 and the student only passed one course out of five. And others where the student started out very well with solid A's in everything and on track to get both diplomas on the same day with admission to a top-notch 4 year school, and then they bottomed out their last semester from the stress and pressure and not being sure if this was really the track they wanted at 17 y.o.

So dual enrollment is not for everyone for many reasons. I'm in the camp of "just a few" but time will tell.

GVA makes a good point -- it really does depend on each specific student and each specific family situation.

Our older DS is 12th grade this year and "dipping his toe in the water" of CC this year with 1 Spanish class each semester. He was one of the best students in his class last semester and had a high A as his final grade. Yea! It worked for him! BUT -- I think it worked well for him because he was older, ready for the challenge, and it was only 1 class, not a full load. We are very cautiously considering trying our younger DS next year (he would be 12th gr.) with 2 classes (a foreign language and a fine arts -- no math/science). However, we are waiting to see how the maturity level and learning disability is looking for that DS before committing to that plan!

Warm regards, Lori D.

I teach a class at the local CC that is frequently used for dual enrollment and am frequently asked about homeschooling by other professors who have had good and bad experiences with homeschooled students.

We hear about the wonders of the 18 y.o. who graduates from homeschooling and gets their associate's degree on the same day. It is not uncommon at the school where I work for the top student in a graduating class to be this type of student.

But there's the rest of the story. Early community college is sometimes a disaster too. I've failed a fair number of homeschooled students, and know of several cases where the parents started them off with a full CC courseload at 15 and the student only passed one course out of five. And others where the student started out very well with solid A's in everything and on track to get both diplomas on the same day with admission to a top-notch 4 year school, and then they bottomed out their last semester from the stress and pressure and not being sure if this was really the track they wanted at 17 y.o.

So dual enrollment is not for everyone for many reasons. I'm in the camp of "just a few" but time will tell.

It's good that you bring up the differences and things to watch out for. My experience with cc classes is very limited (limited to the three cc classes my boys have taken and hearsay thereafter). My son's microbio prof told him she generally does not allow homeschooled or ps (currently in high school for both) kids to take her class. She lets them in until the first test and watches them carefully, then, almost always encourages them to drop the class since they are usually in over their heads. However, she was very impressed with my guy (he also got the highest grade in her class) and is more than willing to write his LOR next year when he needs them. She's been superb at helping to guide him toward his goal. Interestingly enough, the other student with a super high grade in her class was a recent homeschooled graduate.

BUT, she told my guy they are more rare than common. I should probably also note that this was a sophomore level class - not a freshman level - but still. This prof has supposedly had less than a handful of dually enrolled kids remain in her class. Going "advanced" at a young age is not the right goal for everyone - homeschooled or otherwise.

Edited to add that I agree with taking just a few classes at first. Oldest son took one class as a senior in high school (English). Middle son took two classes as a junior (Microbio and Effective Speaking). If we can afford it, I'll let him take up to 2 next fall as well. Actually, he'd be taking one or two now if we could afford it for spring, but we can't. I see no need for my guys to take more than two at a time until they hit college. It's a good intro without pushing them too much. Not taking too many also allows time for extra curricular activities which not only are things they like, they are also great on applications. Colleges don't generally want to see students who study, but do nothing else.

Edited by creekland

I don't know where you live, but here in Texas public universities must take the top 10% of students from ALL high schools (well, not homeschools :glare:) regardless of their academics. Freshman admissions are very competitive. For a homeschooler, it is sometimes easier to just transfer into a state school. Of course, you still need good grades, but at least you're not competing with kids that gave up their outside activities so they could concentrate on advanced classes and "community service."

From our experience, students who've taken DE credits still apply as "1st time college" or "freshman w/credit." This from both private & FL state schools. In FL there is full matriculation between all state cc & univ. so those credits transfer regardless.

BTW: U of FL prefers (I was told by another parent) that dc take the basic classes @ the cc. I'm sure it is to lessen crowding and help the freshman drop out rate not be on their watch.