Menu

Lial's Intro. Alg. after MUS Pre-Algebra?

Does anyone have an opinion on whether a 7th grader who's just completed MUS pre-algebra would be able to jump into Lial's Introductory Algebra? She does well, but isn't particularly mathy. I am considering using "Mathematics: A Human Endeavor" to finish out the year if Lial's isn't recommended.

Thanks!

progress.gifedit.gif

If she's not that mathy, I'd consider doing Lial's Basic College Math if Lial's is the Algebra you wish to use before moving onto Algebra, or something like that. I wouldn't put a dc who isn't particularly mathy into Algebra at 12 or 13, or in gr 8, unless there were a very strong reason to do it (such as my dc was slated to graduate at 15 or 16, had worked hard to master everything required before moving onto Algebra, including fractions and decimals and demonstrated that they have the logic skills, etc, to handle it. Otherwise, I'd wait until gr 9/freshman year to start Algebra and spend the year doing a different math to master all arithmetic required prior to Algebra (that includes pre-Algebra).

I'm half-way agreeing with Karin that I wouldn't rush into Algebra in 7th grade with a non-mathy student. OTOH, you could always try it and retreat if it's a bad idea. If you want to give her some more time to mature, this thread might be interesting:

S/O Lial's BCM or Lial's Pre-Algebra for pre-algebra?

FWIW, we used MUS from K through Algebra (which we completed in 7th grade). I do have a mathy student. With 20/20 hindsight, I think it would have been beneficial to leave MUS for Lial's Introductory Algebra rather than moving onto MUS Algebra.

I'm half-way agreeing with Karin that I wouldn't rush into Algebra in 7th grade with a non-mathy student. OTOH, you could always try it and retreat if it's a bad idea. If you want to give her some more time to mature, this thread might be interesting:

S/O Lial's BCM or Lial's Pre-Algebra for pre-algebra?

FWIW, we used MUS from K through Algebra (which we completed in 7th grade). I do have a mathy student. With 20/20 hindsight, I think it would have been beneficial to leave MUS for Lial's Introductory Algebra rather than moving onto MUS Algebra.

If I knew about Lial's Pre-Algebra, I forgot about it. Another good choice. As for Sue's other suggestion, to start and retreat if necessary, I have at least one dc who would find retreating devastating and at least one who would be happy to do that if necessary, so it's something you might wish to discuss with your dd first. Or you could do Algebra 1 twice, which is what we do.

We used MUS + LoF Algebra in 7th grade and Foerster in 8th grade. But, with 20/20 hindsight, I would have done something differently. MUS was easy peasy. LoF didn't fit ds's learning style. Perhaps a better route would have been MUS Algebra + Patty Paper Geometry in 7th grade. PPG is a very nice hands-on introduction to Geometry. So, combining the two would have provided an easy intro to Algebra + Geometry. Loved Foerster, but Lial would be a better followup for a non-mathy student.

Here's more information about PPG:

Can you tell me about Patty Paper Geometry?

Please tell me about Patty Paper Geometry

Sorry. I feel like I'm leading you astray from your original question.

I like the idea of doing Algebra 1 twice. Which two do you use? My oldest is almost finished with Videotext which I may consider as the second round option for this daughter.

My eldest used several Algebra 1 books the first time until we settled on Lial's. The second tme she did the 1965 Doliciani Structure and Method.

My second one did LOF, which works very well with her learning style, and then started Foerster's (I gave her a choice between Dolciani & Foerster's. Although I prefer Dolciani for many things, Foerster's was a better fit for this dd.)

When my ds gets to that stage, we'll have to decide then which of these we'll use. He loves LOF, but also needs auditory teaching; my dd's don't need that at the Algebra 1 stage.