Menu

Brag Alert... finally my turn!

Middle dd earned a chair in the All-State Band :hurray::hurray::hurray:

She has been practicing so hard too!

Our local high school band directors are 'sponsoring her'. She has to be an active member in a PS band in order to be in All-State (homeschoolers must be sponsored).

She will not find out her chair until the day of practice (mid February).

This is a VERY BIG DEAL for dd. She has a thyroid disorder and is now 'officially' in adrenal failure. She takes about 30 pills each day to keep going...most are 'natural supplements' (her Dr is a naturopath as well as an MD who specializes in endocrine issues). Because of this she is NOT the nicest person to be around (from a parent's prospective) and she has been very difficult to home school --her anxiety levels were too high for her to stay in PS even though she thrived there.

I guess I'll also brag that she has a 4.0 at the community college with 20+ hrs completed!

For a reality check-- she also BOMBED the SAT so she will have to attend the CC for a year before she can transfer to her dream university and leave home.

Jann

Congratulations to your daughter! I know what an accomplishment that is.

One thing I'm confused about, though, is your statement that she has to be an active member of a PS band to be in All-State. We looked into our kids trying out for the middle school level (orchestra) and the rules just said they have to be sponsored by a TMEA member, not that they had to actually be in the PS orchestra. I checked the TMEA website and it's the same for band. (My MIL is a TMEA member, so she could have sponsored our kids.)

we live in (rather near) a very small town. The band directors here are members of ATSSB -- so this is ATSSB All State Band... the 'active member' part was added to their 'rules' 2 years ago-- before that they just had to have a sponsor.

Our PS band has great falculty support-- they even GAVE dd a 'substitute teacher' parking pass (I was expecting to pay the standard $100 for a student one). Perhaps it was because dd was such a good student when she went there-- only her anxiety issues made continuing there impossible...

we live in (rather near) a very small town. The band directors here are members of ATSSB -- so this is ATSSB All State Band... the 'active member' part was added to their 'rules' 2 years ago-- before that they just had to have a sponsor.

Our PS band has great falculty support-- they even GAVE dd a 'substitute teacher' parking pass (I was expecting to pay the standard $100 for a student one). Perhaps it was because dd was such a good student when she went there-- only her anxiety issues made continuing there impossible...

Oh, I get it. I'd never heard of ATSSB.

How wonderful that the school has worked with your DD this way. Congrats again to her!