Menu

What's the best way to get caught up?

Dd is behind in most subjects - some more than others. We've had a lot of time off school lately, so it's not entirely her fault. But I'm wondering what's the best way to get caught up. What has worked for you?

Is it better to just keep plugging away at everything, or is it better to drop the subjects that are on or close to on schedule, and concentrate on the subjects that need more time?

Here is what I would do:

Evaluate each subject to see where I expected we would be in the curriculum and determine exactly how much needs to be done to get back on schedule. It may be that you are just off schedule, but not really behind in a detrimental way. Then I would decide whether doubling up on lessons will still enable my dd to learn the material. My goal would be on learning the material, not on checking off the lessons to get caught up. If doubling or tripling the lessons done daily will result in the material not being learned then I wouldn't do it. I would eliminate something or plan on completing the material during the summer in that case.

Look at each subject and decide if doing all the work in the curriculum is necessary. Often it is needed, like in math, but sometimes it is not. Perhaps you can eliminate some lessons without harming your dd academically. I would eliminate any busy work and stick to the important parts of the lessons. If you dd can learn the math skills by doing half the problem sets each day, then go for it. If your dd writes well, then eliminate a couple writing assignments and focus on reading and discussion. If you know your dd has a strong grasp on the next science chapter, then skip it. But remember the goal is to learn, not to check off the boxes.

Evaluate your dd's ability and time. Can she double up on literature requirements? If she reads and comprehends well, she may be able to complete two English lessons per day in order to catch up. She may be able to double up on history reading.

I would probably keep plugging away with daily work in math and foreign language as those are more difficult to double up on and they tend to be easier to understand if work is completed daily.

If your dd focuses well, you may be able to do math daily, then spend the rest of the time for one week trying to catch up on history. Then do the same thing the next week, but with science, or whatever subject is a concern. It depends on how well your dd focuses and learns and how much material you need to complete to be caught up - whatever 'caught up' means.

I have also gotten behind in my subjects as well, but I am getting caught up to where I should be now. Like your daughter, I have also had more time off from school than I should have taken, but that is because of the holidays. What I do is catch up on the things that she is really behind in, but still continue with the subjects she is caught up on. The subjects that I am all caught up on are math and english, so I make that my homework. Then I focus more on my subjects that I am behind in, and I am almost there. Just another week or so and I will be caught up on everything.

I would not drop the subjects she is caught up in because then she might get somewhat behind in those and then when she is caught up in her other subjects, she will then have to get caught up in the subjects she had been caught up in!:D Hopefully that makes sense.

So I just do 30-45 minutes on the caught up subjects and an hour and a half on the ones I am not caught up in. Hopefully this makes some sense, really tired tonight!

Thank you Photo Ninja and Luving Life. :)

Honestly, we're not inclined to skip things as the goal is to learn and complete the full texts, etc.. I agree that dropping the courses that are on schedule might be counterproductive. I know some suggest doing that to catch up, but I'm thinking that extra on the others might take longer, but is a better way to go.

We haven't really "dropped" history and lit, but they really only get attention when time is left over from math, sciences, and foreign languages. History and lit are important, and dd certainly enjoys them, but they're not the priority. It's too bad, but that's just kind of how it is.

I'm not sure we'll ever get "caught up" in those areas. Probably dd will just keep reading lit and learning history her whole life.

Thank you Photo Ninja and Luving Life. :)

Honestly' date=' we're not inclined to skip things as the goal is to learn and complete the full texts, etc.. I agree that dropping the courses that are on schedule might be counterproductive. I know some suggest doing that to catch up, but I'm thinking that extra on the others might take longer, but is a better way to go.[/quote']

Your welcome, and I know it's tough deciding on what's more important and what not. How far behind is your dd? Maybe this will help, :).

We haven't really "dropped" history and lit, but they really only get attention when time is left over from math, sciences, and foreign languages. History and lit are important, and dd certainly enjoys them, but they're not the priority. It's too bad, but that's just kind of how it is.

I'm not sure we'll ever get "caught up" in those areas. Probably dd will just keep reading lit and learning history her whole life.

I agree with you there! That sounds like me all the way.:D