Menu

American History on Transcript

We did a really thorough American History study 7th & 8th grade and the kids did not want to do it again. So we did a year of Am Gov & Econ, Geog, World History (thru 19th Century) and this year we are doing 20th Century World History and 20th Century Am History. I'm a little concerned with only having 20th Century American History on a transcript. Should I fudge it and just call it Amer History, or add the course from 7/8, or do you think it is okay as is?

Thanks

Mooooom:

My DD completed high school Spanish 1 in 6th and 7th grades in the public school system, and it counted as a high school credit. In 8th grade, she earned 1/2 credit of high school Spanish 2 from an online academy. After communicating with a high school coordinator with HSLDA, I've decided to organize her transcript by subject, not by academic year. If your kids did high school level work in 7th and 8th grades, I'd consider adding it to the transcript.

We did a really thorough American History study 7th & 8th grade and the kids did not want to do it again. So we did a year of Am Gov & Econ, Geog, World History (thru 19th Century) and this year we are doing 20th Century World History and 20th Century Am History. I'm a little concerned with only having 20th Century American History on a transcript. Should I fudge it and just call it Amer History, or add the course from 7/8, or do you think it is okay as is?

Thanks

In order to follow the high school diploma guidelines set forth by our state, we have one year of US History. However, there is no guideline on which years are studied, etc. In fact, ds#2 accomplished his US History credit utilizing concurrent enrollment at the local community college. He studied American History 1860 to present. We did not have any problems with college applications. I simply transcripted "U.S. History 1 credit". His college transcripts which we sent with our transcript were more specific.

Your state may have more specific requirements, but if not, just do 20th Century American History - there's plenty in there for a year and most of it is more interesting to today's high school students because they remember much of it.

I don't really know how prevalent it is...I was told by one umbrella school director in PA that American History includes history before the revolution. And US History is from the beginning of the US as a country and on.....

I don't know if this is true as the US History SAT II does have some questions pre-revolution and pre-Columbus.

Joan