Menu

Online HS classes which can be started now

Are there any online HS classes that can be started now?? Ds was put on no academics for the fall due to an advanced case of post lyme disease. (It had done some neurological damage and he was just getting too frustrated. he is getting better daily and is ready to get back into academics. he is now ready to get back to some schooling, but not a full load. he only needs a few more credit s to graduate...economics, another science (physics) and an English class. I am not looking for a diploma from the class...but i am looking for something with accountablility and a good writing segment. I would prefer a class that is NOT in real time, but maybe has a Moodle component, or a message board type thing.

Any ideas?

Faithe

Ds is using Derek Owen's distance learning for Physics this year. It can be started at any time. Here is my review so far (excuse the past tense - it's meant to be shared after ds completes the course):

A little background on our middle school science studies: We used a combination of Science Explorer, Exploration Education, and TOPS attempting to create a balance of textbook reading and hands-on experiments.

For 9th grade, we used Derek Owen’s Physics class for distance learners. The website is http://www.derekowens.com. The cost of the class was $58/mo with a $15 registration fee.

Pros:

• Even before payment, sample lectures and syllabus are available on the website. The syllabus provides clear assignments and deadlines for the entire year.

• User-friendly and well-organized website.

• Able to access the entire year’s course with first payment.

• Videos provide instruction with an electronic blackboard, Derek’s voice is very pleasant, and some of his graphics are amusing.

• Student Workbooks are filled in as student watches the lecture, keeping them engaged.

• Homework, labs, and tests are emailed/faxed in and graded by someone other than mom.

• Homework, labs, and tests are returned to student and parent within 24hrs along with cumulative grade report.

Cons:

• The course is based on Giancolli’s Physics, which is a challenging high school textbook. However, the textbook is not needed because all the content comes from the lectures and workbook. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s a bit easier as well.

• Solutions to the practice problems and tests are available to the student on the website. I would prefer that they were available to the parent, but not the student.

• Test review would be helpful.

Overall, I found Derek Owens very pleasant to work with and accommodating. For example, with the first payment, we were able to access the entire year’s course including the tests. Having the tests easily accessible made me uncomfortable. When I approached the subject with Mr Owens, he offered to make them unavailable for my student.

If you are interested, email me (not PM), and I can send you a sample hw, lab, and test. There are videos at the website (see my signature) and on youtube.

Hewitt Homeschooling offers a grading option for their Lightning Literature program. It would not be a class situation, but it might be something to consider for English. There are a variety of Lightning Lit topics to choose from.

Here is a direct link to the Single Course Option for $175.00. Note that if you choose the further option of Lightning Literature Courses Graded Via Email that there is an additional $75.00 fee.

Regards,

Kareni

The Luekion Project offers some semester long courses that start mid-January. They also offer workshops. These workshops can be combined (four of them I think) and the student can choose an area to write a paper on and then it is the equivalent of a one-semester high school class. My daughter took Mythology Beta with Lukeion last spring. It was a lot of work, but she really got a lot out of it. She was also only in 7th grade last year, so I would think for an older high school student, the work load wouldn't seem so heavy. She loved the lectures and the readings. The paper was a workout for her. The course required a 6-8 page MLA formatted research paper, and that was her first research paper. There were also essay questions included on the exams. I believe they also have a word roots course that could count for English and they have a college prep writing course. I can't offer any feedback on those but they look good. These courses do have live meetings, but they meet only once a week.

Faithe, dd is starting the British and World Literature class through K12 on Feb. 1. My time spent teaching her literature after her return home has been both rich and rewarding and now she feels ready for an outside class with papers and due dates. At the end of the day, she needs accredited course to graduate. This is the goal we have been working towards. While a part of me is sad to turn over the experience of being her main teacher for our favorite subject, part of me is relieved. We chose the class because it was the most in line with the work we were already doing and I think it will be challenging. K12 offers many of their courses at four different levels and the teacher-supported classes start every two weeks. I will report back to you if you haven't made any decisions by then. Good luck.

ETA: I told you more than you asked for because of your K12 question in another thread. You don't mind, right?

Edited by swimmermom3