Menu

Romance Collection (w/Pride and Prejudice) on sale until 6 PST

It is Amazon's gold box deal. The set is $27.49 w/ free shipping.

The Romance Collection consists of eight literary classics on film: Pride and Prejudice (1995), Emma (1996), Jane Eyre (1997), Lorna Doone (2000), The Scarlet Pimpernel (1999), Victoria & Albert (2001), The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, and Ivanhoe (1997).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=xs_gb_dtl_rtn_L_d#

my dds love these!:D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Tom Jones is horrible (well, what we saw was horrible as we turned it off maybe 15 minutes into it) but I think the rest make up for it.

NM, I just realized that "a Foundling" was part of the Tom Jones description, LOL.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Tom Jones is horrible (well, what we saw was horrible as we turned it off maybe 15 minutes into it) but I think the rest make up for it.

NM, I just realized that "a Foundling" was part of the Tom Jones description, LOL.

I read that in the reviews as well.

16 yod actually prefers the older version(the 6 hr one) of P&P b/c the story line is more accurate but said the acting in this version is better.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I read that in the reviews as well.

16 yod actually prefers the older version(the 6 hr one) of P&P b/c the story line is more accurate but said the acting in this version is better.

If the older version of P&P is the one I think you're referring to I agree with your dd's assessment.

The color of the P&P DVD set in the Romance Set is poor (very faded and muted) when compared to the VHS set we own. I remember being very disappointed in that when I bought the Romance Set many years ago. There is now a P&P Restored Edition in which the color is much improved. I bought it and gave away the copy that came with my Romance Set.

ETA that the Scarlet Pimpernel became a fast favorite but our only prior exposure was the Scarlet Pumpernickel on Bugs Bunny cartoons, LOL.

I thought this was the 6 hour one? It's the one we have (and love). Is there another long version out there?

Julie

I just called her in here. I'm wrong. This is the 6 hr version that she likes! I misunderstood her when she was in here when I was ordering.

I guess I'm going to have to admit that these are not movies I enjoy watching! ;) I don't like to watch tv very much and a 6 hr movie is not my cuppa!:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just called her in here. I'm wrong. This is the 6 hr version that she likes! I misunderstood her when she was in here when I was ordering.

I guess I'm going to have to admit that these are not movies I enjoy watching! ;) I don't like to watch tv very much and a 6 hr movie is not my cuppa!:001_smile:

I think there are 6 episodes but they are only about 50 minutes each so it's really 5 hours.

The version I thought she was referring to was (I think) made in the 80's. It too is a long mini-series and I think is a bit closer to the book.

Good to know! Tell her thanks :)

I'm confused. :confused: I don't see it. If you were still able to receive it, good for you. I hope you are looking at the same thing, though.

This is what I got for $28 with Prime shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Romance-Collection-Special-including-Prejudice/dp/B0012XIGVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294492481&sr=8-1

It shows up at $53.99 or so, and it did when I ordered too. But I clicked on new and the $28 price came up with Prime shipping. I don't see that still available, but there are still some good deals. It's showing at $32 with Prime right now. You can get it for $25+ with $2.98 shipping from what looks like a great seller (100% rating). And it's the 1996 BBC production of P & P which I have been wanting to get for some time. : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine

There was also an Amazon review that had this to say about Tom Jones:

"There is absolutely no doubt that this is a superb collection of period films and well worth acquiring. But I was more than a little shattered to note the comments referring to the inclusion in the collection of 'The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling' and indeed what it may suggest about our current age. The film is firmly based on Henry Fielding's classic novel 'The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling' published in 1749 in a period noted for its directness and ability to call a spade a spade, even within the highest social circles. Lusty Tom balanced a hearty appetite for beautiful women with a warm heart and an essential goodness, strayed not entirely as the result of his own faults, and was finally rewarded with the girl he had always loved. In many ways a moral tale. Those films in the collection which were based on 19th century novels were written in the context of an entirely more conservative and prim society, evidence of the pendulum that moves historically between high conservatism and liberalism.

Made in 1963 and now reaching its fiftieth year, this romp of a film, one of the glories of British comedy, was the run-away winner of film accolades for that year taking out the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Score and Best Screenplay as well as the British Film Academy Award for Best British Film, Best Film From Any Source, and Best Screenplay. The film was a showcase of great British actors of the period including among many a brilliant young Albert Finney, the delicious Susannah York as his great love, Joan Greenwood, Edith Evans, David Warner, David Tomlinson, seductive Diane Cilento, Hugh Griffith, and Lynn Redgrave.

As the title of the collection is 'The Romance Collection', personally I applaud the inclusion of this great film classic. Romance occurs in all ages, not least the 18th century. This film provided a refreshing balance to a very high quality offering. "

My daughters' take on this version of P&P was that most of the acting was great, except for the actress who played Elizabeth. She didn't seem like the "book" Elizabeth at all and was so snobby she almost wrecked the whole production.

They also didn't like the liberties the script took with the book. It seemed to focus too much on the romance and not enough on the humor and satire.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
There was also an Amazon review that had this to say about Tom Jones:

"There is absolutely no doubt that this is a superb collection of period films and well worth acquiring. But I was more than a little shattered to note the comments referring to the inclusion in the collection of 'The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling' and indeed what it may suggest about our current age. The film is firmly based on Henry Fielding's classic novel 'The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling' published in 1749 in a period noted for its directness and ability to call a spade a spade, even within the highest social circles. Lusty Tom balanced a hearty appetite for beautiful women with a warm heart and an essential goodness, strayed not entirely as the result of his own faults, and was finally rewarded with the girl he had always loved. In many ways a moral tale. Those films in the collection which were based on 19th century novels were written in the context of an entirely more conservative and prim society, evidence of the pendulum that moves historically between high conservatism and liberalism.

Made in 1963 and now reaching its fiftieth year, this romp of a film, one of the glories of British comedy, was the run-away winner of film accolades for that year taking out the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Score and Best Screenplay as well as the British Film Academy Award for Best British Film, Best Film From Any Source, and Best Screenplay. The film was a showcase of great British actors of the period including among many a brilliant young Albert Finney, the delicious Susannah York as his great love, Joan Greenwood, Edith Evans, David Warner, David Tomlinson, seductive Diane Cilento, Hugh Griffith, and Lynn Redgrave.

As the title of the collection is 'The Romance Collection', personally I applaud the inclusion of this great film classic. Romance occurs in all ages, not least the 18th century. This film provided a refreshing balance to a very high quality offering. "

Sorry but I still think it was horrible. I'm also not sure that the person you quoted is talking about the same movie because I don't think that the movie I saw was made in 1963.

ETA that I just checked and the movie in the set is NOT the 1963 movie the person you quoted is talking about. It's a 1997 TV series. Either he didn't order the set or he wrote his review before it arrived. I probably wouldn't like the 1963 version either since I thought the 1997 version was horrible but they are different productions and there may be significant differences.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0123351/

I haven't seen the 1997 Tom Jones. We did recently see the 1963 version. We couldn't remember much nudity from it (if any?). It's definitely more bawdy than any P&P production I've ever seen, but that's just Tom Jones. It might not be the best movie for viewing with small children if they ask a lot of questions. There would be a lot of, um, "explaining".

But if one really wants to see a Tom Jones movie, maybe the 1963 one would be a better choice? It did win awards and seems to be striving for some sort of "art". Not sure if it totally succeeded, but it did strike me as being somewhat cinematically "new" for the time it was made.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I haven't seen the 1997 Tom Jones. We did recently see the 1963 version. We couldn't remember much nudity from it (if any?). It's definitely more bawdy than any P&P production I've ever seen, but that's just Tom Jones. It might not be the best movie for viewing with small children if they ask a lot of questions. There would be a lot of, um, "explaining".

But if one really wants to see a Tom Jones movie, maybe the 1963 one would be a better choice? It did win awards and seems to be striving for some sort of "art". Not sure if it totally succeeded, but it did strike me as being somewhat cinematically "new" for the time it was made.

We didn't watch it long enough to know if there was nudity in it:lol: There was definitely suggested nudity (seeing a woman from just above the books up and from the high thigh down) and very mature themes. There were children in the room. They weren't "watching" it with us but had they glanced at the screen there would have been some explaining to do. It was very bold in it's themes so we wouldn't have continued to watch it anyway. It's possible the 1962 version wasn't quite as....bold or in-your-face. We have watched movies where sex is implied but not THIS implied or in-your-face. It just seemed more over the top than other movies.

Hello! I bought this set at Costco a couple of years ago. We have yet to watch Tom Jones - I don't think we will. We just recently watched Ivanhoe - I haven't read the book, so I can't compare, but we really enjoyed the movie! We also enjoyed Lorna Doone, and we are huge P&P fans. We didn't care for the Scarlet Pimpernel so much - I think the American actress who plays the lead has an atrocious Brit accent. But once you accept the fact that the movie is different from the book (perhaps some of the plots come from SP sequels?) SP gets pretty fun. We haven't watched Jane Eyre yet. Victoria and Albert is really good!

One fun thing for my family is trying to keep track of where we have seen all the character actors - you see some familiar faces if you watch lots of BBC!

Enjoy your Romance Collection!

Blessings,

April