Menu

Have you used LToW DVDs?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

They were planning on having a full DVD set (like IEW's TWSS) but it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon (I was waiting for it) :( The DVD they currently have is a very basic into to LToW. I think the CD set they have is more helpful but I don't think anywhere near as complete as the DVD set they were planning. Still, better than nothing. They will soon be releasing the 4th Edition of Level 1 (they hope it will be available by February 1st) so if you are going to buy Level 1 I'd wait for the 4th Edition.

ETA what they told me about the changes made to the 4th Edition of Level 1:

This new edition will expand upon the old teacher's guide by combining it with the old module guides. We have a new structure to the guide and a new way of presenting each Lesson that we think is going to be much better and more effective.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
OH that sounds wonderful! Thank you for the heads up. I've read my friend's LToW and it was a bit daunting but now that I know there is a new edition, she bought hers last year, I will definitely have to purchase my own when it comes time.

You're welcome:001_smile: I'll be starting it once we are finished with Paragraph Town (sometime during the 2nd semester so if it's too challenging to do on my own I can enroll them in a class next year). I'll be using it on my own and can let you know how easy/difficult I feel it is.

Hello High School Hive,

Has anyone here used the Lost Tools of Writing DVDs? I'm wondering if they really help with teaching this course.

THanks,

Capt_Uhura

I know this isn't what you were asking ... but my DS's favorite class this year by far is Memoria Press's LTOW Class. I'm very impressed with everything he's learning, but mostly that he is applying it across the board to all his writing assignments.

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

LToW is on it's 4th edition? I thought the new edition was the 2nd one? Anyhow, I left a message at Circe Institute asking when the new edition of LToW would be out. Actually, didn't Mr. Kern used to post here sometimes? Maybe I'll look up a post. Oh wait, I'm on the yahoogroup, I could ask over there as well.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
LToW is on it's 4th edition? I thought the new edition was the 2nd one? Anyhow, I left a message at Circe Institute asking when the new edition of LToW would be out. Actually, didn't Mr. Kern used to post here sometimes? Maybe I'll look up a post. Oh wait, I'm on the yahoogroup, I could ask over there as well.

It currently has 2 levels. Level 1 of LToW is currently in it's 3rd Edition, and the 4th Edition is soon to be released. I believe Level 2 is still in it's 1st Edition but I could be wrong.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
THanks for clarifying Cheryl. Do you have a date for the release of LToW level 2 4th edition? I posted at the yahoogroup as well.

They were planning on releasing Level 1 4th Edition today but there have been some delays, I think with the CD's. I'm not sure what the new date is. It often takes a while to get a reply by email so if you don't here anything for a while you might want to call.

They were planning on releasing Level 1 4th Edition today but there have been some delays, I think with the CD's. I'm not sure what the new date is. It often takes a while to get a reply by email so if you don't here anything for a while you might want to call.

I didn't see anything on their website about the new release so I thought maybe someone here would know.

I know this isn't what you were asking ... but my DS's favorite class this year by far is Memoria Press's LTOW Class. I'm very impressed with everything he's learning, but mostly that he is applying it across the board to all his writing assignments.

How much does this class cost (I found class times on the website, but not cost)? Does one still have to purchase the curriculum if one takes the online class? How many kids are in the class together, and how does it work? Can one sign up for just one Memoria class?

I'm thinking an outside writing tutor could be a really good thing. I'm very frustrated with how writing's been going this year. I take it you're happy with the feedbak your ds is getting? I've heard mixed reviews about the quality/amount of feedback from online writing classes...

Does LToW teach MLA at all?

How much does this class cost (I found class times on the website, but not cost)? Does one still have to purchase the curriculum if one takes the online class? How many kids are in the class together, and how does it work? Can one sign up for just one Memoria class?

I'm thinking an outside writing tutor could be a really good thing. I'm very frustrated with how writing's been going this year. I take it you're happy with the feedbak your ds is getting? I've heard mixed reviews about the quality/amount of feedback from online writing classes...

Does LToW teach MLA at all?

It looks like it costs $474.95 for the entire year. That's a bit pricey. On top of that you need the LTOW level 2 student book.