Menu

Chess Anyone?

UmmiSays

Hi All,

Can anyone reccomend a program that teaches children how to play chess. I have no knowledge of the game but I have always wanted to know how to play, and I think it would be very beneficial to my children if they learned. Thanks.

Peace be with you,

Candace

My boys both got started with "fritz and chesster." They are computer games. There were three, I think. Some of the games have..dubious educational quality..exploding the toilets for example, but the boys seem to actually learn the game. And, FWIW, they will always remember how the bishop moves, thanks to the exploding toilets.

Several of mine learned using ChessMaster 10th edition (I think there's a more recent edition out now). It's Josh Waitzin's chess program - and you have him explaining some of the grandmaster games that are programmed in which is pretty cool for my older ones. For beginners there's a tutorial section. There are tons of different "computer" players with different ratings and avatars to play against. When my oldest was younger and had trouble getting past 1000, we made a chart of the certain players and their ratings giving him stars each time he beat them.

Also - you can play in training mode (take back moves, ask for hints, ask for "mentor lines," etc) or in ranked mode. There are different "chess sets" to choose from - a couple are slightly animated which the kids like.

And my final pitch... even *I* learned on ChessMaster (whereas Fritz and Chester seemed like a lot of silly games and I didn't understand how they related to chess - though they definitely appeal to kids).

My older two used this to learn on their own:

http://www.fileplaza.com/games/kids/details/lego_chess.html

You can set it from beginner level to more advanced. Beginner level actually teaches them the game as they go along, then as they advance in skill, it plays against them.

Dawn

I actually have this one! It came in a set with Carmen Sandiego, Cluefinders, and Mighty Math. I forgot all about it, so I guess we'll get it installed pronto.

- My son learned using "Fritz and Chesster" (and loved the exploding toilets!)

- our chess instructor recommends "Dinosaur Chess", especially for young ones

- my 1st grader's favorite chess game for the last year has been "Lego Chess", but I'm not sure if it actually teaches the game or if you just play. Surely there is a tutorial or something. But you play using either traditional pieces or you can use Lego guys that look like fighting guys. (pirates or something). My son just told me that when you put the mouse over a piece, it shows you how it can move.

We love chess here. Currclick.com has a free chess club with online classes and tournaments. You can also check out http://www.chess.com, and http://www.chesskid.com. Also, books from the library. There was one that I used with my dc when they were little. They started playing with just the pawns, and we added pieces as they mastered each one. I can't think of the name of the book, but I believe I found out about it here. I will see if I can find it in my library history.

HTH

Danielle