Menu

Please help me decide what Year of TOG I need to order. (going from Sonlight)

We've always done Sonlight (which is not chronological), and I'm not sure exactly where I will need to start in Tapestry.

So, if my DC will be in 7th and 3rd in Sonlight, where would I begin in TOG?

I've been reading and reading about TOG and I just cannot get a good feel for how it actually works on a day to day basis. I think I'm just going to have to get my hands on a real life entire guide to comb through. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and just buy one. :) But which one?

Edited by Swirl

I'm sure there is more than one approach you could take here. For one, what area of history would you be going to if you were staying with SL? You could, if you wish, choose that same level with TOG and have both of your children study it at their own levels at the same time.

Another suggestion would be to find out what area of history your oldest would love to dive in deeper to study, even if it has been studied previously in the not so distant past. This could be a time to learn and study that period in more depth, especially since TOG is more history based than SL is. You could then move in chronological order through the sequence from that point.

Yet another idea would be to start at the beginning with YR-1 and work your way through the chronological sequence. If you stay with TOG through hs, you could decide which two of the year plans you want to have for 11th and 12th grade, where they would go in deep at the R level.

The main point I wish to make is that you have options, and any of them will lead to a really great learning experience for your dc and yourself. I love TOG and am very, very thankful that the Lord led me to it for my own dd's education. The ability to customize to your dc's needs is the cherry on top of everything.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Oh, definitely Y2 cuz that's what I have for sale! :lol::lol: Kidding!!...

OK, so, your children, if using SL, would be in Cores 3 and 7?

If that's the case then you probably would want to begin with TOG Y2, but completing units 2, 3, & 4...skipping Unit 1. Y2 begins with the Middle Ages in Unit 1 (SL Core 6) so you would have covered almost that entire unit with SL Core 6. Y2, Unit 2 is the Renaissance and Reformation. Unit 3 is Crowns and Colonies. Unit 4 covers the Age of Revolutions. So my best guestimation would be beginning with TOG Y2, Unit 2 and continue on from there through Y4. Each unit can stand alone, so you really don't have to complete Unit 1, to move on to Unit 2.

Begin by downloading and printing a 3-week sample. The Year 2 sample covers early American History - closer to SL 3/7 than Year 1 which begins with Ancient Egypt. BUT see below - I can't remember which sample she works from during the webinar, and sometimes it just makes more sense if you can HOLD the one you are seeing on the screen. Both samples are free, but they are both easier to understand when holding them in printed form. Depending on how much you pay to print, you might not decide to print both. You don't need both to see how the program works; one is fine.

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/company/products/tog.php#3

THEN I would suggest that you bite the bullet and spend $10 to view the first session in the recorded "Tapestry Teacher" web seminars. This one is "Out of the Shrink Wrap." It will really help you see how the program runs.

http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_101

Even if you decide to purchase the program, you'll be glad you have the recorded session; it will save you from a lot of flipping around trying to understand. It's just easier than reading printed directions - the difference between tell me and show me. If you decide not to purchase the program, it's a much cheaper "test run."

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

We've always done Sonlight (which is not chronological), and I'm not sure exactly where I will need to start in Tapestry.

So, if my DC will be in 7th and 3rd in Sonlight, where would I begin in TOG?

I've been reading and reading about TOG and I just cannot get a good feel for how it actually works on a day to day basis. I think I'm just going to have to get my hands on a real life entire guide to comb through. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and just buy one. :) But which one?

Edited by Janice in NJ

If that's the case then you probably would want to begin with TOG Y2, but completing units 2, 3, & 4...skipping Unit 1.

I downloaded some samples and have been going over their booklists. This was my best guess prior to posting here. Glad to know I was not on the wrong track. :) Thanks

Begin by downloading and printing a 3-week sample. The Year 2 sample covers early American History - closer to SL 3/7 than Year 1 which begins with Ancient Egypt. BUT see below - I can't remember which sample she works from during the webinar, and sometimes it just makes more sense if you can HOLD the one you are seeing on the screen. Both samples are free, but they are both easier to understand when holding them in printed form. Depending on how much you pay to print, you might not decide to print both. You don't need both to see how the program works; one is fine.

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/company/products/tog.php#3

THEN I would suggest that you bite the bullet and spend $10 to view the first session in the recorded "Tapestry Teacher" web seminars. This one is "Out of the Shrink Wrap." It will really help you see how the program runs.

http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_101

Even if you decide to purchase the program, you'll be glad you have the recorded session; it will save you from a lot of flipping around trying to understand. It's just easier than reading printed directions - the difference between tell me and show me. If you decide not to purchase the program, it's a much cheaper "test run."

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I've downloaded and gone over the 3 week sample. I'll look into the web seminars. Thanks!

I'm sure there is more than one approach you could take here. For one, what area of history would you be going to if you were staying with SL? You could, if you wish, choose that same level with TOG and have both of your children study it at their own levels at the same time.

Another suggestion would be to find out what area of history your oldest would love to dive in deeper to study, even if it has been studied previously in the not so distant past. This could be a time to learn and study that period in more depth, especially since TOG is more history based than SL is. You could then move in chronological order through the sequence from that point.

Yet another idea would be to start at the beginning with YR-1 and work your way through the chronological sequence. If you stay with TOG through hs, you could decide which two of the year plans you want to have for 11th and 12th grade, where they would go in deep at the R level.

The main point I wish to make is that you have options, and any of them will lead to a really great learning experience for your dc and yourself. I love TOG and am very, very thankful that the Lord led me to it for my own dd's education. The ability to customize to your dc's needs is the cherry on top of everything.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I was hoping to have both children on the same year at the same time. They are 4 years apart, so that would work pretty well for me. I asked DS where he would like to start next year, and he said that he does not care as long as he doesn't have to repeat ancients again any time soon. He also added that if he has to read one more thing about the Trojan War he will go crazy. :D

Thanks so much for your reply, I hadn't thought of those other options.

I was hoping to have both children on the same year at the same time. They are 4 years apart, so that would work pretty well for me. I asked DS where he would like to start next year, and he said that he does not care as long as he doesn't have to repeat ancients again any time soon. He also added that if he has to read one more thing about the Trojan War he will go crazy. :D

Thanks so much for your reply, I hadn't thought of those other options.

Ah, yes...that is another beauty of using TOG. All of your dc are studying the same period of history at the same time, but at their own level. By the time you get back to the beginning, they are ready to go in deeper at an advanced level than before.

I do want to encourage you as a beginning TOG user to consider starting at the beginning of a year plan because that is where the materials are designed to help teacher and students get set up for the coming year. But wherever you begin, it would be most helpful to then stay on course in the chronological sequence.

We are on YR-2 and are finding it to be very interesting, but I am especially looking forward to our studies on American history using TOG. I love revisiting and learning with my daughter so much!

Blessings,

Lucinda

This is what I would do: start with Y3, and then you'll be on track for a full cycle in 9th - 12th. Dialectic Y3 & Y4 have some great literature that I'd want to be sure to get in before starting on Rhetoric.

That's just me, though, and completely different from what we're actually doing. :) We started on Y1 when my oldest was in 8th grade and in 12th grade, I'll either let him decide if he wants to go through ancients again, or maybe do a full year focusing on philosophy, govt., or church history.

This is what I would do: start with Y3, and then you'll be on track for a full cycle in 9th - 12th. Dialectic Y3 & Y4 have some great literature that I'd want to be sure to get in before starting on Rhetoric.

That is a wonderful idea, and points well made about the D level literature. I wish I'd thought of it myself when I posted earlier! :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

We began with TOG Y2 this year. My DD had finished Core 6 to week 25, the girls would have started Core 2 in SL. U1 goes through most of Cores 2 and 6. U2 begins with the end of Core 6 (I Juan de Pareja and the Second Mrs. Giaconda are the UG and D Literature for week 11, it ends SOTW 2 and begins some of SOTW 3 in UG alternative history assignments). U3 begins Cores 3, 7, and 100, with Hakim used in the UG level history and SOTW 3 as the alternative assignment at the same level. For us there were plenty of literature choices for my oldest DD to go through in U1 and it was a nice transition into TOG.

Hopefully some of that helps. :) I also understand that many people don't start R in 9th, especially if that is Y1 in their rotation.