Menu

math u see vs. singapore math

bethben

I am beginning to wonder if ds 6 years old is right brained (he is a lefty). He learned to read just fine and I wonder if part of his success is his ability to remember how words look rather than the phonics - he knows phonics, but I think he just "remembers" the words. About math - somehow there seems to be a disconnect. For example, we have been working on making 10 ( 5+5, 2+8, 3+7 etc) for 5 months and he still doesn't get it. I'll ask him what number goes with 2 to make 10. He can't tell me. I've put up numbers on boards, done stuff with manipulatives, and played math games with making 10. Still nothing. We're plugging along with other stuff, he can add up to 10 in his head, I just know he won't go further until he gets the what make 10 thing.

So, today, I got out some math u see blocks I had laying around. I told him a story about how everyone wants to be like 10 and they have friends who will help them be like 10. He understood completely and knew the matches almost instantly - the thing is - I think he "memorized" the colors that matched first.

All this to say, I've been trying to do Singapore math with him but am wondering if Math U See would be a better fit?

Beth

My 9 year old sounds like the description of your son.

We use Mth -U-See.

He (Nate) is complicated in so many areas....and routinely finds "alternatives routes" for figuring out his math. He is complicated but really smart. My saving grace with him in math has been the Mr. Demme (Sp?) DVDs that "teach" the math (MUS). I sit him down in front of the video with the blocks and a write and wipe board (he rarely touches the blocks) and from watching the explanations and examples on the video...he totally "gets it".

I have to make sure to ask him to "teach back to me" the thing he learned...and if it's wildly different (although correct) from what he learned (which is common with him and it totally boggles my mind)...I insist that he tell it back to me several times the way it was taught. Leigh Borton in "The Core" suggested something along these lines. She explained it way more intelligently and logically though.

Hope that helps.

Blessings.