Menu

If you use and like/love TOG

O.K. if you use this how do you implement it into your homeschool day. I had been using SL which I loved but did not like using mult. cores with my different ages. I switched to TOG and I still do not love it. I am half way through Year 1. I just can't seem to get into a system. I thought we would do some hands on projects but I just don't have time. Thanks for any suggestions.

O.K. if you use this how do you implement it into your homeschool day. I had been using SL which I loved but did not like using mult. cores with my different ages. I switched to TOG and I still do not love it. I am half way through Year 1. I just can't seem to get into a system. I thought we would do some hands on projects but I just don't have time. Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't use TOG as scheduled. I pick and choose texts from the LG and UG history readings, which I read aloud like SL. Then I assign additional reading to my oldest from the worldview, in-depth and all three girls do literature. With vocab I just have them cover 4-5 words a day with each other, with timeline figures they do 1-3 figures a day, and with mapping I have them map 1-3 places a day. Now that my 7th grader is older I will also have her read the D level history spine for year 1...once we get back to year 1.

That does mean that the weeks blend together a little. Some weeks have a ton of mapping, which I will stretch out and do over several weeks. Eventually it all works out as not every week has mapping. I just don't stress about getting it all done right away.

My kids love hands on but they would prefer to do Pokemon models while I read history. It is actually easier on me than scheduling history crafts, so I roll with it.

Heather

How old are your kids? For my Dialectic and Rhetoric students, I have made workbooks like on this blog:http://homeschoolblogger.com/karenciavo/category/tog-workbooks/

(mine aren't as fancy as hers)

The workbooks have really helped me stay on track. Everyone knows to do their reading, then work on maps and discussion questions. If you have Netflix, someone in this forum has posted a list of movies that go along with history topics from SOTW here:

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/2010/07/historical-movies-and-documentaries-to.html

I found that when we first started TOG, it was difficult for my children to complete the reading quickly enough to have time for the extras. As they got used to the pace, it was easier to fit in more activities. You can also feel free to slow down and stretch your weeks out.

HTH,

Melanie

How old are your kids? For my Dialectic and Rhetoric students, I have made workbooks like on this blog:http://homeschoolblogger.com/karenciavo/category/tog-workbooks/

The workbooks have really helped me stay on track. Everyone knows to do their reading, then work on maps and discussion questions. If you have Netflix, someone in this forum has posted a list of movies that go along with history topics from SOTW here:

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/2010/07/historical-movies-and-documentaries-to.html

I found that when we first started TOG, it was difficult for my children to complete the reading quickly enough to have time for the extras. As they got used to the pace, it was easier to fit in more activities. You can also feel free to slow down and stretch your weeks out.

HTH,

Melanie

Also wanted to add that Lampstand Press is now selling Student Activity Packets which makes putting together a workbook a little easier. I am considering using these for my dialectic DS next year instead of printing my own.

Also wanted to add that Lampstand Press is now selling Student Activity Packets which makes putting together a workbook a little easier. I am considering using these for my dialectic DS next year instead of printing my own.

Do they really? I'm going to check that out!

I may be the only one here, or anywhere, but my kids finish up school at or around lunchtime. They have a list of what they need to do each week. They schedule it out over the week. Maybe my kids are fast readers, but they really do finish up early. They also start early. And they don't wait for me to get to them for the next thing if they don't need me.

Do they really? I'm going to check that out!

I just got off the phone with Lampstand Press. The SAP packs include only the pages for the particular level you order-- no reading assignment pages or writing assignment pages. Now I'm not sure if I will be ordering, though it does save me time on printing. Humm. We'll see.

I make the workbooks like Karenciavo. I do not order the student activity packs because my kids requested that I give them space to write their answers in for their questions.

Yes! My Ds especially likes to have that space. If I order SAP packs I would just have him write answers on another page. I'm not sure I like this idea though, because I sometimes change the structure of the questions into a chart, or even omit and add to them. I'm attracted to the idea of not having to spend time designing pages and printing.

They feel better about doing the discussions with me having their answers written.

I think the pages I design are a better fit because they are tailored to our family, so I'm back and forth on this. As to the OP's question---I agree that having some kind of workbook system helps keep us on track using TOG.

Our weeks just don't always look the same with TOG, so its hard to give an answer about how we implement it. I'll try to find some links to posts I printed that give some ideas later today.

Shannon

I totally agree Shannon. It is very time consuming to do this. I also omit questions or add more or change all the questions and have them do charting instead. We have to do what is best for our family. I love TOG but it is NOT a perfect fit for our family. I figured that because we bought this program and tweak it to fit our family that is better than putting hours and hours finding books and matching them up so on. I do wish they would peruse SWB history books that she has written for high school. (I know they do this for SOTW but NOT for the high school ones)

I think the pages I design are a better fit because they are tailored to our family, so I'm back and forth on this. As to the OP's question---I agree that having some kind of workbook system helps keep us on track using TOG.

Our weeks just don't always look the same with TOG, so its hard to give an answer about how we implement it. I'll try to find some links to posts I printed that give some ideas later today.

Shannon

HTH,

Melanie

Thanks for the info.