Menu

How old was your dc when they graduated from highschool?(or will be) Thanks!

Ds homeschooling will be 19. His bd is in Sept, and he missed the public school cut off for K by 10 days. And then, we held him back. He's going to make up some of that time by graduating one semester early, in Dec next year, and doing a semester of CC.

Ds not homeschooled will be 18 when he graduates.

Both of my girls have spring birthdays. One had just turned 18 and one had just turned 19, respectively, when they graduated.

We gave my dd who had turned 19 a "fifth" year of high school. She was a late-bloomer academically and when she had a sudden academic growth spurt during her 3rd year of high school we decided to give her the benefit of an additional year at home to help her be more competitive for college admission. Though she was in high school 5 years, we only counted the last 4 years on the transcripts we sent to colleges.

My three all have summer birthdays and they will all turn 19 just after they graduate HS. DH and I made the decision seven years ago to hold them back one year academically, because we preferred to have them more emotionally and socially mature before they went off to college. DH and I were both the very youngest in our classes growing up, and felt that was a disadvantage in many ways.

the older will turn 18 one month after he graduates. The younger will have just turned 17 in February. We'll see how this turns out! I went to college at 17 (didn't turn 18 until Feb. of my freshman year) and was raring to go, but this may be different for a boy (maturity level, etc.).

the older will turn 18 one month after he graduates. The younger will have just turned 17 in February. We'll see how this turns out! I went to college at 17 (didn't turn 18 until Feb. of my freshman year) and was raring to go, but this may be different for a boy (maturity level, etc.).

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. My dd is currently in "6th grade" though she does things at different levels. Both she and our middle son (ds14) rushed through their K and 1st stuff so fast that they were done before the one year was up. So we just kept them going...the next year they were considered 2nd grade instead of 1st, etc.

DD's Bday is in March, so when she is a senior, she would turn 17 in March, and graduate in May or June. I'm wondering if we should just keep her in 6th grade next year instead of moving her to 7th? It's just a number right now, so I'm not sure that she'd care particularly. Most of her friends are in 5th this year....

My son....his B-day is in September, just past the cut-off dates. So he's either a year older or a year younger. He's in 9th grade this year, and will start 10th grade then turn 15. He could use some maturing, so I'm wondering this same thing for him!

Any thoughts on this, or should I start a new thread? I don't want to take away from the OP's original post!

and will start 10th grade then turn 15. He could use some maturing, so I'm wondering this same thing for him!

My ds is 15 and finishing his 10th grade year (his birthday is at th end of the school year).

He will be just turned 17 when he graduates.

This causes me some. . .anxiety. . .but I truly think, deep down, that he'll do okay.

I don't plan for my other 3 to graduate so early, however.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. My dd is currently in "6th grade" though she does things at different levels. Both she and our middle son (ds14) rushed through their K and 1st stuff so fast that they were done before the one year was up. So we just kept them going...the next year they were considered 2nd grade instead of 1st, etc.

DD's Bday is in March, so when she is a senior, she would turn 17 in March, and graduate in May or June. I'm wondering if we should just keep her in 6th grade next year instead of moving her to 7th? It's just a number right now, so I'm not sure that she'd care particularly. Most of her friends are in 5th this year....

My son....his B-day is in September, just past the cut-off dates. So he's either a year older or a year younger. He's in 9th grade this year, and will start 10th grade then turn 15. He could use some maturing, so I'm wondering this same thing for him!

Any thoughts on this, or should I start a new thread? I don't want to take away from the OP's original post!

Well, my kids are 4 and 18 months so I'm reading this thread more out of curiousity than anything else. I was 17 when I went to college (turned 18 in Feb of my freshman year). It never bothered me and I was definitely ready.

Both my boys have fall birthdays...right now my thought for them is to have them be a year "ahead" of where they would be in the ps system (we're doing kindergarten next year, although my son would miss the cut-off) so they would both graduate at 17. Then I'd like to give them both an intentional "gap" year after high school. I would have loved the opportunity to take a year off and do something special (travel, volunteer, pursue an interest, etc) and I want to provide them with that.

I know my guys are young and this plan could easily get derailed at many points along the way...but it's where I would love to see us end up.

My son will be just 18 (May birthday); I was 17 1/2. My son's ambition is to play college hockey--we'll see what happens throughout his highschool years...maybe junior hockey lies ahead...Clonlara has lots of interesting options to pursue that aren't the traditional highschool experience, so he may do some of those types of things his senior year...

Thanks for asking this question. Ds and I had finally determined that he needed to repeat 9th. This will mean he will turn 19 in 12th grade. I was beginning to feel he'd be the oldest senior ever. Just seeing that others have graduated at a bit of an older age has eased my mind.

Thanks for asking this question. Ds and I had finally determined that he needed to repeat 9th. This will mean he will turn 19 in 12th grade. I was beginning to feel he'd be the oldest senior ever. Just seeing that others have graduated at a bit of an older age has eased my mind.

Yes, us too. With the exception of math, which my son is right on schedule with, we feel he will benifit from an extra year. I was curious what the average age here was for seniors. My son will turn 19 mid-March of his senior year, if we hold him back a year.

We are running our school year from January - December. Older ds completed four years of high school this past December at the age of 19 (September birthday). He then decided to continue homeschooling for an additional year which means he will be 20.

Younger ds is also planning on five years and will turn 20 at the end of the fifth year (December birthday).

Both sons have plenty of credits for graduation at the end of fours years but want an extra year studying at home. A transition period, I suppose.

My oldest two were 18 and then my third was just a few weeks short of 19 when he graduated. He is a visual spatial learner so he needed another year at home to improve his language skills. He might have done better with a teacher who understood his weakness better than I but oh, well. He's doing well in college and having fun.

My oldest will be 16.

She was legally grade skipped in kindergarten and has a late summer birthday (she'll be 12 this summer). But for the last two years, she's been taking some classes at the high school, so I suppose she could graduate sooner.

We don't intend on sending her away to college as soon as she graduates though. We're thinking she'll either do a couple of years at the community college and then transfer to the University of California, or go to the local UC and live at home. My main goal right now is to keep her home as long as possible.

My middle two kids will turn 18 the summers after they graduate, and my youngest, who has some developmental delays, will probably be pushing 19. :)

She is hoping to graduate by age 21. She feels like she is the only one her age in this position as well as the only person her age who has no idea what she wants to do with her life.

She is NOT the only person who has no idea what she wants to do with her life...I feel that way sometimes...sigh...

But, I just wanted to say I think it is wonderful that she is persuing High School now. Good luck to her...and with added maturity, I bet most of these classes will be more interesting and quicker to complete.

Good Luck,

Faithe

My dd will be almost 18, but she is already taking CC classes, so she may be finished with her bachelors degree at the age of 19. She has always been an advanced student, and we are very proud of her.

My ds will finish at the age of 18, but I am not sure that he will be able to dual enroll. We'll see if he starts stepping up to the plate with responsibility and maturity, hopefully sometime soon!

Oldest ds turned 18 at the end of his senior year.

Next ds will be 17 when he graduates but turn 18 in summer.

Dd will graduate at 17 with a fall b-day.

Twin ds will be 17 but turn 18 in summer.

Next dd will be 17 with a fall b-day.

Last ds is special needs so he'll likely be 21.

Last dd will be 18.

Taz turns 19 on the day he graduates from our homeschool--grin. He started kindergarten the fall after turning 6. I tried to keep him home another year, but my ex-DH was not having it--lol.

Storm--18

Blaze--18 if he keeps his grades up during high school, 19 if he needs to come home for a year or more. He'll do everything to make sure to keep his grades up because he already experienced that institutional school is much easier than me hs'ing him.

This thread is very interesting to me. I plan to graduate my eldest at 19, though I am reserving her last year of high school as a 5th year/transition year. I wouldn't at all be surprised if she blew through her schoolwork if I held up the carrot of being able to serve in Israel for her last year of high school.

My next will be 18, though I expect that she'll be mostly at the cc by the time she is a junior or senior.

My next is set to graduate at 18, but I may let her have that same transition year her oldest sister is going to have.

The fourth is kind of an experiment. She's just four but quick as a whip. She may end up graduating to the cc in college like one of her older sisters.

No idea on that fifth one, but with a November birthday, like the fourth, I'll have to decide early or late. LOL

It's good to hear that some people are waiting to hs grad their students until they are 19. I was just barely 18 when I went to college and did NOT have the maturity I needed to handle the social skills there.