Menu

SOTWchapter completion time

Reasonable or not: SOTW & question completion time  

1. 1. Reasonable or not: SOTW & question completion time

• Reasonable to read one chapter / complete questions in one day
    • Unreasonable to read one chapter / complete questions in one day

Is it reasonable or unreasonable to expect a logic stage-er to complete one SOTW chapter in one day?

Particularly, is it reasonable to have a 6th grader read an entire chapter from SOTW 2 and complete the review questions in one day/night?

For ease on my part to view answers, please use the poll attached.

If I want to complete all of the chapters in one regular school year, it seems this schedule is the only alternative. I'm finding it difficult to omit chapters.

Thanks!

Review questions? You mean the questions in the activity guide and you're having them answer those in writing? Or are there other questions I'm not familiar with?

My son generally reads a chapter in under 20-25 minutes, and outlines a section of it. I don't think answering the questions would take all that much longer. It seems to me that it could all be done in 45 minutes to an hour, so I wouldn't think it's unreasonable to ask it....

I put unreasonable, but? what questions? the test or the ones in the teacher's part?

we do it in two days, but have extra reading involved? (3 kids -25th and one 6th) I read, and ask questions outloud, they do test on 2nd day, after narration and such.

next year,they each will read on their own, and do independent, and I am expecting 2 days for it.

I thinks it's do-able for most 6th graders, but I wouldn't say it was optimal. Most chapters include 3 or even 4 separate but related topics, and while my 6th grader could read the whole chapter and verbally answer the review questions in one sitting, I wouldn't want him to do that. I think he retains better when he can read a section (or two), answer the review questions, write a short narration, and/or complete the map work. He outlines from Usborne on a separate day. Having extra time to let the material soak in is an advantage.

We do history with SOTW II and Usborne 3 days per week. He reads one or two sections from SOTW on the first day, answers the review questions, and writes a narration of one of the sections. On day two, he reads the next section (or two), answers the review questions, and completes the map work. On the third day he outlines from Usborne. That's our basic structure.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

Particularly, is it reasonable to have a 6th grader read an entire chapter from SOTW 2 and complete the review questions in one day/night?

I think it is probably reasonable. I am sure my 5th grader could read the whole chapter (even if it were 3 or 4 sections, are most of the SOTW 2 chapters really that long?) and answer the questions orally with me. If he had to write the answers to questions from 3 or 4 sections that would probably be too much. I think 1 or 2 sections would be fine though.

But I also don't think writing the answers to all the questions would be the best use of his time. I'd rather he did writing that takes more thought like outlines or narrations. That's why we do the questions orally, because I know reading the chapter, answering the questions, and doing outlines or narrations would be too much :tongue_smilie:

He also does the tests, but I don't give them until we are a chapter or two beyond so that he really has to remember ;)

Are the review questions in the Activity Guide? or someplace else? (I haven't ordered the AG yet)

Yes, there are review questions in the AG.