Menu

So... my MCT Voyage level arrived in the mail today.

Let's just say I'm really, really glad I've got about 6 months to figure out how to USE the thing. :tongue_smilie:

I'll also be purchasing Island and Town levels. Right now, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by how to TEACH with it. I'm a work-book kind of girl, and this just seems to be lacking the instructions...

Don't over think it!:D

Look at the teacher sections in the back of the books.

I don't have the time or energy to help you more than that, right now.

Stephanie Z has a good schedule.

I am one of the people who understands how to teach his stuff with no problem, but I can't decipher many other popular curricula... :tongue_smilie: it is really worth it!!!

I spent an hour at Subway while oldest dd was at swim practice going through the teacher's guides, and reading through the explanations. My fear and trepidation has been replaced by a modest excitement.

I think this will really be enjoyable for my oldest son -- and my younger two will most likely respond well as well (although they won't be in Voyage).

I'm going to head over to the Yahoo Group and print out the schedule/plan they have there. I may have to modify it somewhat, because I think oldest DS needs to do some of Sentence Island and Paragraph Town as well, before getting to the Essay Voyage.

I'm hoping (hence the modest excitement), that this won't be quite so tedious, and will be much more inspiring for my highly-verbal oldest... who currently thinks grammar is a chore, if not a total bore. Personally, I'm hoping I'm up to the "smile" task of the encouraging and asking aspect. It's so much easier to just assign pages #50-52, odd:D

Use the lessons in the back of the teacher book. :) We break each lesson over two days. Day 1 we do the grammar portion of the lesson and do some sentence analysis in Practice Town. Day 2 we do the writing portion. We read Grammar Town and Paragraph Town straight through before starting the lessons in Paragraph Town (dd did Island level last year). We haven't done much with Ceasar's English or poetry, yet.

MCT has been such a wonderful fit for my anti-workbook girl. :)

My son declared grammar boring halfway through the semester, and moaned through every assignment. I finally decided to order MCT last month. Rather than wait until January to start him, I started him right away. He just LIT UP over it. He loves it. I love it. He make it the last subject of the day so he can enjoy it. He enjoys discussing it, and even making references to grammar lessons at other times of the day. He remembers it.

I hope it continues in this fashion for the second semester!

Don't over think it!:D

Look at the teacher sections in the back of the books.

I don't have the time or energy to help you more than that, right now.

Stephanie Z has a good schedule.

I am one of the people who understands how to teach his stuff with no problem, but I can't decipher many other popular curricula... :tongue_smilie: it is really worth it!!!

I would LOVE to see a schedule for Voyage, since that is what we will be using next year. Do you by chance have it? I have schedules for both Island and Town, and have found them to be very useful.

Thanks,

Krista

They had one on the Yahoo site... but it's a 26-weeker. I'm going to make a 40 weeker, that incorporates the additional comp work he'll be doing (4 reports, plus a brief run through of Sentence Island and a bit more time in Paragraph Town).

I have no idea what it will look like, yet. I will probably do a different version of Voyage for my younger two who will tackle it in a couple of years, since I have everything out, but it will probably still be a 34 week plan vs. 26 weeks, and schedule in the 4 papers.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Have you looked at the pdf on RFWP's website? It's not a schedule but will give you a general idea how/when to use all the books in each level.