Menu

What grammar/LA program after FLL level 4?

My 6th grade dd has always struggled in grammar. We have tried MCT, Voyages in English, Catholic Heritage Curricula-- nothing stuck. This year, I decided to combine her with my 4th grade dd who does well with FLL. They are both doing EXTREMELY well. I am very pleased at the progress my older dd has made and how much she has been retaining from lesson to lesson.

But now I am wondering what to do for next year. My older dd just turned 13. We adopted her from China just before she turned 6, and we deliberately kept her a year "behind." She reads voraciously, several books a week, and well above her "grade" level. Grammar has always been her most difficult subject-- this is the first year she seems to really "get" grammar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My vote would be for Rod and Staff. My dd went from FLL4 to R&S 5 with no problems. We cover everything orally unless she has a problem with a concept and then I get her to write every second question out. I know some think R&S looks dull but it certainly gets the job done!

My vote would be for Rod and Staff. My dd went from FLL4 to R&S 5 with no problems. We cover everything orally unless she has a problem with a concept and then I get her to write every second question out. I know some think R&S looks dull but it certainly gets the job done!

Thanks. I was just thinking about searching for R & S at Rainbow Resource but decided to come here first to see if anyone had responded to this thread. ;)

Do you mind telling me more about it? WHat you like, what you don't like.

At the beginning of this school year, I had decided to combine the two olders in grammar. I started out with MCT because I thought FLL 3, while solid, had been a bit dull. My kids retained NOTHING from MCT. So I got FLL 4 for them both and FINALLY my oldest dd is making progress. My second oldest was also VERY happy to go back to FLL-- apparently trying something else helped her appreciate it more.

I wish there were a FLL 5-- then I wouldn't have to worry about this!!

Thanks again!

I wish there were a FLL 5-- then I wouldn't have to worry about this!!

Thanks again!

There will be, SWB started a thread on the general board a month or so ago asking for name suggestions. I'm not sure when the publication date is, but SWB said the program itself was "up on my computer screen right now." So, I'm hoping it'll be out by the time my dc currently in FLL4 are ready for it! Yes, it's boring and repetitive, but it's also the only thing I've found that works for us!:001_smile:.

We went through all of SWB FLL books; for 5th grade we used JAG (Junior Analytical Grammar). For 6th grade we continued on to AG (Analytical grammar). The AG is intense in that you do a lesson every day for 10 or 11 weeks...then you do a review supplement once every other week - about 2 days worth of work. My son is thrilled to be done with the "hard" part. He has does well with the review.

JAG was a great prep for AG. AG is set up to be done in either 2 or 3 years. The customer service department for AG is great - any time that I've had a question, I've emailed them and someone answered me within a few hours.