Menu

I want some kind of award.

I've got four sils. Two married to my brothers and my dh's two sisters. Brothers' wives first. There is no way I can't completely claim them as my own. They are both thin, beautiful, their homes look like Architectural Digest. The youngest especially is just as beautiful on the inside as she is outside. I love to tell my youngest brother that she is way too good for him, (and he always was my little buddy). He just grins and agrees with me. Other sil, although some find a bit hard to take, knows what she wants and goes after it. She's tough as nails. She gives "pajamas and furs" parties for her friends. It's probably good that I don't live in the same town as they do, because the youngest would ruin her social status by refusing to exclude me, and the other would eventually drive me insane with her anality.

My dh's sisters. Both older than me, the oldest was absolutely my best friend until her dad died and the family squabbled. I have only seen her twice in the past 19 years now. The other one is a public school teacher and holds me in deepest contempt. She has no children, is divorced, and aside from teaching English she runs a cattle operation. She lately has discovered Jane Austen, and tells me and my girls all about her books. I refrain from telling her that the girls read them all before their teen years. She has no clue who PG Wodehouse is. How can you teach high school English and writing and not know Wodehouse? As an aside, she is secretly convinced she knows more about horses than I do, but she never lets on. She may be arrogant but she's not stupid. She must maintain civility with me, because her brother did marry me, and she knows how to play the game.

Tonight she called, wanting us to go to a movie with her. For this to happen she must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel. We had been in town already today, but agreed to go. I figured I could eat popcorn, but I knew what the movie would be like. Either some documentary about how the world was coming to an end or full of nekkid people rolling around on the screen. Nekkid people on the big screen embarrass me. I'm a partial prude.

I warned her beforehand that if I hated the movie I was going to shun her. This particular movie only rated a partial shun.

It could be worse right? Lots of women have sils that they really can't stand to be around. And even though she has lousy taste in movies I can sit through one of her choice occasionally. Even though deep down I'm sure she feels she's lowering her standards by keeping company with a homeschooling mother. I would like for her to like me, but after all these years I ain't holding my breath anymore. At least my other sils love me.

Perhaps a little crown, with some gold stars.

Sounds like you have an interesting mix of SIL's! Fur and pajama parties? Cattle ranching and teaching?

My SIL's just tell me I'm going to hell because I'm not the same religion as them. As you can imagine, that does not go over well. I generally avoid family reunions.

Michelle T