Menu

How long do homemade cookies keep?

Since they have no preservatives (other perhaps, than what is in all-purpose flour), how long do homemade cookies last before they spoil?

In the probably vain hope that my cookies last long enough to worry about this, if anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it very much.

Right now, I have them in a cookie jar, with the remainder sealed in gallon-sized ziploc freezer bags. My current cookie supply is 0-2 days old.

Thanks,

RC

My chocolate chip cookies always develop a grainy texture after 2-3 days and they're not nearly as good. Once someone gave me some cookies that must have been wrapped in plastic wrap for several days. They tasted like plastic. :ack2: But I've never had a cookie last long enough to actually go bad...

If you're worried about them, could you freeze the ones that are in a Ziploc bag?

If you have them out, I think after a couple of days they aren't worth the calories:001_smile: and don't taste that great. If I freeze them, I put wax paper between them so I don't have the plastic taste. After a couple of weeks in the freezer, I try to use them.

Ten minutes. That is, if they've actually made it past the cookie dough stage and into the oven to complete the baking process. Yes, I eat raw cookie dough....GOBS of it! :lol:

Seriously though, cookies freeze beautifully, so if you're not using them within 48 hours....I'd just freeze them.

So far: chocolate chip, peanut butter, Russian teacakes.

In the works: sugar, French almond (these I eat by the dozen, so storage may not be a problem, sadly)

Do they taste as good if they are thawed after freezing them? That would be a good way to keep my teens & their friends from eating them all in one day.

It is kind of disheartening to bake a quadruple batch of cookies and have it disappear so quickly. Plus, I don't look at cookies as being meal replacements (except for me).

They're all usually best within the first couple of days. But the sugar in them acts somewhat as a preservative, and unless they taste funny or are growing mold they're probably ok. Generally, the dry crunchy cookies will last longer than the moist chewy ones. Most cookies freeze well. When I make a big batch I put a reasonable number in the cookie jar and then freeze the rest for later cookie jar refills. Also, a lot of doughs freeze well so you can make a big batch of dough and only bake as much as you want to expose to the masses, and freeze the rest in single batch sized portions for later.

I don't like the texture my cookies get after being out over a day so I always freeze them. They last a couple weeks. Choc chip and pb freeze well; not sure about the teacakes but I would think they'd be fine. Just let them thaw before serving. I've done this when preparing cookies in advance for church functions and no one seems to notice that they've been frozen.

They don't last more than 2 days at our house! lol I don't know what to tell you about the shelf life of homemade cookies.

Of course, you can freeze them also. My mom always makes huge batches, keeps some out and puts the rest in the freezer. They thaw in about 30 minutes.

My mom freezes them, has since I was a kid.

And every.single.year. we heard yelling from the basement as she opened tin after tin of crumbs. Apparently, the cookies eat just as well frozen.

My Dad sits with a fork, knife and entire brick of fruitcake and chows down. Seriously. One sitting. *gags* I can't even stand the stuff. :ack2:

Some of it depends on which fat you use. Cookies made with butter, while tasting better, only stay fresh for about 2 days.

Shortbread actually improves with age. And it's got very few ingredients (basically just flour, sugar, and butter).

I think if you want to do things ahead, it's better to freeze the dough and then bake as desired. Let's face it -- what's yummier than a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie?

I have never, ever had cookies last long enough to worry about this. :lol:

(Not that I'm the queen of cookies and no one can resist them...I'm the one who eats anything with sugar like it's going out of style, lol)

If I'm baking for something in advance I freeze them, and that always works out fine (and prevents cookie thievery).