Menu

spreading two years of R&S grammar over 7th to 10th grade?

I’ve recently heard the suggestion to spread R&S 7th grade grammar book over two years (7th & 8th,) and the 8th grade book over two years (9th & 10th.) This suggestion was prompted by the high level of grammar those two books cover. I've been told that beyond 8th grade the R&S grammar books cover mostly writing. So, if using another writing program, we would need to switch anyway.

My dd started R&S grammar in 3rd grade and has successfully used it for the past four years. We are finishing 6th grade soon.

If we spread out the books we will only need to do grammar twice per week, opening up a significant amount of time for writing instruction. But, my concern is that the infrequency of the lessons will make review and retention harder. Is this a real concern? Has anyone tried this and had success or failure? Are there any hidden pit-falls that I’m missing?

The other option would be to stay at grade level for the next two years, then switch to another program. (possibly Abeka?) I thought we had grammar all figured out, with a good program. Now, I'm a little confused!

:001_huh: whew… I would love to hear any comments on this plan!