Menu

Dance Moms: Where to buy undertards/under-leos for darker skinned girls?

allaboutdance.com has some in white, black, and nude. You might also check dancewearsoluations.com and discountdance.com.

HTH

MamaT, Just "nude" is sort of the problem - I'm looking more for a range of "nude" shades - to fit a rainbow of dancers. We've got a wide range of skin colors in our dance group, and while the standard "nude" works for some, it is *way* off for others and can be seen from the audience (rather than blending in and being perceived as skin). Black and white can work in other ways, but neither are really skin colors, if you see what I mean!

I'll check the other two sites though!

(eta - unfortunately, no luck!)

Try MotionWears--they're called UnderWears and they carry a mocha color.

http://www.motionwearstore.com/E3B8609F12AC4962ACDF1A7446C88399.asp?keyword=underwears

Ah - that's a little more like what I'm looking for. I'd love more colors than just nude and mocha, but it's a start, and it looks like they're made by Motionwear, which is helpful... perhaps I can get a local store to order them now that I know who makes them.

THANK YOU both for helping me on this search!!!

The title says it all. Lots of places sell the undertards, but I haven't seen anywhere that carries a variety of skin colors. Anyone know of anywhere on-line, or any manufacturers that make them?

I second MotionWear mocha. It's a "nude" for darker skinned girls.

I don't know, but about two years ago I went to every store in my area trying to find a leotard for my daughter, for gymnastics.

I tried: Walmart, Kmart (both of which I'd been able to find leotards at in the past), Sears, Gap Kids, with no luck whatsoever, and finally went into the last store in the mall that I hadn't yet tried: A Bon Ton.

Here's how the conversation went:

---

Me: Do you have any girl's leotards?

Sales Clerk: I think we have some winter ones left on clearance. (proceeds to take me over to a display of... girl's tights).

Me: Not tights...leotards. (I gesture with my hand up and down my body to indicate I'm looking for the entire outfit). You know, like for gymnastics.

Sales Clerk: Oh, like the top and everything you mean?

Me: (Nodding, saying patiently). Yes. A leotard.

Sales Clerk: Ohhh. I thought you meant a leo-TART.

Me: (Blank Stare) (Fill in your own thought process here. It's probably similar to what mine was).

Good luck finding what you need! :D

THANK YOU both for helping me on this search!!!

Glad to help. I had a hard to fit little ballerina and the Motionwear leotards fit her better than anything else. It's a little better now that she's filled out into smaller women's sizes but we'll probably still stick with them.

Here's how the conversation went:

---

Me: Do you have any girl's leotards?

Sales Clerk: I think we have some winter ones left on clearance. (proceeds to take me over to a display of... girl's tights).

Me: Not tights...leotards. (I gesture with my hand up and down my body to indicate I'm looking for the entire outfit). You know, like for gymnastics.

Sales Clerk: Oh, like the top and everything you mean?

Me: (Nodding, saying patiently). Yes. A leotard.

Sales Clerk: Ohhh. I thought you meant a leo-TART.

Me: (Blank Stare) (Fill in your own thought process here. It's probably similar to what mine was).

:lol: - Oh my! Thanks for the morning giggle!

Maybe nobody wants to know...but the girls at our ballet school are told no undies for performances, and this may be why. I see some of the older girls wear bras with clear straps, but only the ones who really need to. The costumes are pretty snug up top, with some structure and such.

This is the rule at my dd's dance school. She wears one anyway because she is a D cup and absolutely NEEDs a bra! She is darker skinned (she is bi-racial), but wears nude with clear straps. It has worked fine so far.

Thanks all! I've spoken to a local dance store, and I'll let our dance moms know they can get the Motionwear mocha shades there special order if they don't see them on the rack. I might also email Motionwear and see if they would be interested in expanding their color range (mocha is still pretty light). THANKS!