Menu

Places to rent for a week at a time out east?

We are looking at going out east this spring or fall for a 2-3 week stay. We are looking at seeing Jamestown, Williamsburg, ocean, Assateague Island, Washington D.C., Philadelphia and Gettsyburg.

It may be a crazy trip with all that and I was wondering if there are places one can rent-like a house or hotel room at a discount for a week or two at a time, to have a central location to come back to at night. Like if we spent a week in VA and a week between D.C. and Philly.

Would hotels have cheaper rates if you got it for a week or are there people in those areas that rent places by the week or am I crazy? We originally planned on camping, but I'm exploring all our options. If I'm nuts, tell me. :)

Jeanne

We have rented houses for 1 or 2 weeks at a time using the internet to search. We have rented places based on the pictures that are posted on the sites. We have not been disappointed. They are completely furnished. We were able to rent a 3 bedroom house for the same amount as a hotel stay. We have 5 in our family, so a family suite can become pricey.

Here is a website that you can look through to see what type of vacation rentals are available. You would just need to look for the particular state that you need. I have listed Pennsylvania, because it was one of the places you mentioned. You could further narrow the search by putting in the particular city you wanted to stay. By the way, Philadelphia is great! We have been twice (we did not rent a house there). So many of the things you would want to see are free of charge. Like the liberty bell, the Independance Hall, etc.

http://www.cyberrentals.com/USA/Pennsylvania/r1136.htm

I hope the link works.

Joyfully,

Mary

Hotels might discount a little. My dh and ds are living in a hotel for 2 1/2 weeks in Richmond. I think the rate they got is still $100/night (once you add it the taxes).

KOAs usually have camping cabins that are fairly reasonable. Some even have air conditioning. The KOA in Williamsburg is really nice. We have stayed there in our travel trailer before.

HTH

My brother uses it a lot, and now I have used it to get three days in June outside Yosemite, and a full week ON THE BEACH in Oceanside!!!!! (ok, have to run across a road but then you are ON THE BEACH!) For our family of six, paying

what amounts to $200 a night for VRBO is about what we'd pay for much LESS space at the motel (everyone crammed in one room with three queen beds or two smaller rooms). I will take separate bedrooms, a full kitchen, living room, dining room with full-size table, etc. any day :-)

most time share places have extra rooms each week. go to rci.com and view resorts by state.....I know there are several in Williamsburg that you can get by the night with a 3 night minimum. I don't have contact info for you. So just look at RCI.com and find resorts in the area you want. most have a phone # you can call and ask if they do by the night or like a hotel fee.

We went to disney in Dec and stayed in a timeshare but my mom stayed in a unit in the same complex but only had 3 nights and paid by the night like a hotel.

then you will get a larger place than a normal hotel(but no room services)