Menu

Pre-Algebra curriculum that offers more repetition and directions than Singapore

I'm asking a question on behalf of an acquaintance who is looking for a pre-Algebra curriculum. She said that they have used Singapore math to date but that her son needs a little more repetition and detailed directions.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Kareni

Lial's texts have very clear explanations and lots of review. We tried BCM and it had too much review of old topics. We're going to try Pre-Algebra next which should have just as much review, but more new topics. I'd been led to believe that they were fairly similar but BCM just had a bit more practice, but the TOCs are almost entirely different. Depending on where they're at, either might work.

Has she tried the extra practice books or intensive practice? Those books provide more repetition. Also, The Challenging Word Problems book will offer more repetition and challenges.

Right now, my older son is doing Singapore Math's New Elementary Math 1 (NEM), Challenging Word Problems 6 (old), and Life of Fred Pre-Algebra(actually he just finished the book). It seems pretty challenging to me. But, I could be wrong.

Blessings,

Karen

www.

Saxon...

I have the Transition Mathematics books - and they worked well for my older son (we used it to supplement LoF when he needed more practice) - but the pages were too busy for my younger DS. I do really like the theory behind it, though - and wish younger DS could use it.

If you are interested in Teaching Textbooks, you might also want to look at Kinetic Books, this gets pretty good reviews at the math blog run by the Math Mammoth people.

Teaching Textbooks is a great course for younger kids who aren't ready for "more", kids who might struggle a bit with math, kids who really do well with the computer aided program (you will still have to check work, no on-line grade book like younger levels). It is also good for mathy kids, but some mathy kids may want more depth to the program. TT, is generally not considered a course for children who want to go into math-based fields, is considered pretty much surface-math. I have heard of people who used TT, aced SAT's and went into engineering fields of study -- so those "negatives" are generalizations.

But, please, put me firmly into the best math to use is the math that works for your child. None of my children can use Saxon -- there is nothing wrong with Saxon as a program (generally speaking), but it is a horrible, horrible fit for my children. FTR, my youngest DS will be using Teaching Textbooks 7/Pre-Algebra, plus LoF next year... while my older DD will be using LoF and some other textbook I have yet to select, because she does NOT want to use the computer. I may just have her do LoF through Algebra I, and then see how she does with Foerster's... or Chalk Dust Algebra I

Edited by LisaK in VA

Until Matryoska mentioned it in a thread below, I always thought BCM was *the* recommendation for Lial's for pre-algebra; I didn't even know Lial's had a pre-algebra!

I don't know much about upper level math, but I do have BCM here and thought it looked like quite a bit of review.

So which one is generally the better choice? (More specifically, for a non-mathy dc, but one who I do want to have prepared well!)

Until Matryoska mentioned it in a thread below, I always thought BCM was *the* recommendation for Lial's for pre-algebra; I didn't even know Lial's had a pre-algebra!

I don't know much about upper level math, but I do have BCM here and thought it looked like quite a bit of review.

So which one is generally the better choice? (More specifically, for a non-mathy dc, but one who I do want to have prepared well!)

ETA: OOOPS! Meant to make this a S/O thread. I will do that now, sorry!

Lial's texts have very clear explanations and lots of review. We tried BCM and it had too much review of old topics. We're going to try Pre-Algebra next which should have just as much review, but more new topics. I'd been led to believe that they were fairly similar but BCM just had a bit more practice, but the TOCs are almost entirely different. Depending on where they're at, either might work.

Is there an edition/isbn that is best to look for? Or are they all pretty similar?

Danielle

Is there an edition/isbn that is best to look for? Or are they all pretty similar?

Jann has said all the editions are pretty similar. I have the 7th ed. BCM and ordered the 3rd edition of Pre-Algebra, but it hasn't gotten here yet. :glare: Neither of those are the most current edition.

I posted the TOCs of both in the s/o thread. (the TOC there is of the 4th ed. of the PreAlg; I can't find the 3rd ed. TOC online. I can tell everyone when I get the book if there are any big differences).

I will throw another option into the mix... CLE

My ds is doing well with CLE's 800 level which is considered pre-alg. It's somewhat like Saxon, but not nearly as incrementally frustrating (we are not Saxon lovers here). There is plenty of review in CLE, as it is spiral, so you get lots of review of various concepts in each lesson which keeps everything fresh. I love that it also contains quite a bit of geometry. It's also inexpensive.

We started the year off using both BJU pre-Alg and CLE. But now we just use CLE, and I only pull BJU out periodically. My ds finds CLE challenging, but he never complains about doing math...which is VERY refreshing. ;)