Menu

What program/book is this?

I am starting to piece together which curriculum I want next year, getting a head start.

I'm thinking my current 6th grader doesn't need spelling after this year. He's just going through the motions now as it is. He gets usually 100% (or just missing one word) on the pretests! He's on Spelling Workout, F (I think?) now...

So next year I want to focus on vocab, and specifically roots of words. We haven't done latin, yet, but that may be coming next year if we get into Classical Conversations.

What would be a good vocab program for this?

I remember reading about a program that was for upper grades and I was thinking " THIS is what I'll use next year!" but I can't remember what it was? I thought it started around 6th-7th grade?

Also, whichever vocab program I choose, it needs to be fairly laid out for me or easily tailored to be fairly independent in nature for my DS. Because just in the last three months-my first three months of homeschooling, I've learned a lot about myself. I've learned that not having a clearly laid out curriculum REALLY frustrates me. LOL So, for now, I feel more comfortable with more laid out lesson plan-like programs. I wouldn't say I NEED a workbook...if he can just follow a student textbook and answer questions out of that (like he does with his Rod and Staff English) then that is totally okay with me.

Thanks!!

If you like Rod and Staff English, you may like their spelling as well. The 7 and 8 books are root based vocabulary, and only one section in each lesson works with the actual spelling. There are 4 sections in each lesson that focus on different aspects. Section A focuses on the definitions and usage, B deals with affixes, C with the actual spelling, and D with the history of language. You can do them in any order you choose, and even skip any of them without interrupting the flow of the lesson. My ds does one section a day, making flashcards for new roots and affixes, and does a final test on the fifth day.