Menu

Looking Good!!??

I thought I'd start a new thread on how to make yourselves pretty - or what kind of makeup do you use, or look at my new haircut. I have a selfish desire behind this since I asked a question on the old board just before susan made the announcement to switch and I'm worried my question will be lost in the shuffle. So here goes:

Need totally frivolous advise - faced with this every 4-6 weeks...should I go gray or keep coloring???? Advise????

I have said I will continue to color until my youngest is in college - 15 more years - because I'm tired of people asking me if I'm his grandmother (when I neglect to color my hair). But I'm tired of coloring. My older sister doesn't color and she looks old(er). Quandry, conundrum...what would (do) you do??

I use this, a color glaze. It doesn't cover my grays (not something I want to do) but it makes my hair a brighter, shinier brown. I like that.

It does not make a drastic change the first time (or three) that you use it, but it works gradually, building shine with each use.

I've only got a few white hairs, that I can see anyway, and I've never had my hair colored. HOWEVER: Once I have a few more white hairs, I plan to look into color. I don't want to keep my hair all gray or silver or white. My mom (who just turned 60) colors her hair, and is in great shape, and people think we're sisters. I think it makes people look younger.

Wait. Did I answer the question?

Well, I'm hoping to get away without coloring. I'm almost 45 and am just starting to have some grays pop out here and there. I really think I'm too lazy and busy to add something else that HAS to be done.

I have a friend who is a few years younger and very gray. She let her color grow out a few years because she was tired of dealing with it, and I don't think it makes her look any older. That could very well be influencing my decision.

As far as what I am willing to do to 'pretty up'.....I do wear light makeup every day (to even out the spotchy red tones mostly). I discovered mineral foundation a few years ago and love it for the light feel. A bonus is that I can take as much as I want of it through airport security with no problem. Also, I discovered a year or so ago that I have curls. Well, I knew something was there that caused my hair to look awful if I let it air dry. But a new hairdresser cut the right layers in it so that I now have wash and go hair. Very exciting!

Karen sn on the old board suggested I go completely gray and then see from there - and if I want to color use red henna which isn't toxic.

What do you think and

Has anyone used color remover to get the artificial color out of their hair? Does it work? What condition does it leave your hair in?

My hair, by nature, is mouse brown. Yuck. I am super fair skinned, so when I went red (well, auburn) back in 1994, it looked natural. It still does. People often wonder how it is that I don't have any redhaired children. heheee :rolleyes:

I just use L'Oreal and color my own hair. I've never had any trouble with it. I figure I'll have a lot of years of being a little gray haired lady, but I don't have to start yet (I am 46).

I find makeup and hair coloring to just be fun. I started using mineral makeup 2 or 3yrs ago and it is so natural looking, easy to apply, feels great and looks great. Let me know if you want recommendations, 'cuz I am quite opinionated about my minerals. lol!

Bottom line - if you feel like you look better with colored hair, then keep coloring it. It's really not a big deal, and it's a small way in which you can feel pretty.

Being the vain little thing that I am, I will probably dye my hair if it gets to that point. Yes, I say "if". That's because I am plugging my ears and singing lalalalalalalala and believing it's possible to stay grey-free forever.

I've seen some gals who look TONS younger when they dye their hair. But I'm thinking of one gal who also looks GREAT grey! It looks very classy.

I hate they idea of dying my hair though because I do NOT want to mess with all those chemicals and whatnot. If you do it, I recommend finding a good hairdresser. My MIL gets her hair done and is at least able to just go in for touch-ups rather than a total re-dye so frequently. And I've seen so many bad dye-jobs that I'd be afraid to end up with those results if I tried it on my own.

Well, I'm 45 and color mine with semi-permanent color (Natural Instincts) with no plans of quitting soon. I don't have a lot of greys and some of them don't color well, so it actually looks like I don't color it at all. The color comes out very naturral looking this way. It gives my hair more body, a better texture, and a nice shine. The conditioner that comes in the box is awesome. I'd buy the hair color just for that conditioner!

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place