What's with the ads?

#1 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8197 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

Dh's b-day is Dec 22nd. I've been married to the same man for 24 years and every year I bemourn the fact that he was born so close to Christmas that

1. my budget is stretched
2. I have to think of several exciting things - for B-Day and for Christmas. Actually due to "budget cuts", we will probably limit ourselves to one gift for each occasion and a few little stocking stuffers.

Help me please. I have no creative juices left.
He likes disc golf, can use all kinds of gadgets, is handy around the house, not a big book reader unless it's for work...cannot think of anything else that would be helpful.

#2 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

She who plants flowers for bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17239 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Calvin's birthday is very close to Christmas. He gets his big gift on his half birthday - would your husband like that tradition? It would give you six months to think/save.

Laura

#3 yellowperch

yellowperch

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

My birthay is 12/27. I like Laura's idea. I'm sick of "stuff" right now, but in June a paddle board of my own would be lovely!

#4 Ali in OR

Ali in OR

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3447 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Give the gift of time. Dec. 22 sounds like a lovely time to get out alone on a date. Doesn't have to be an expensive restaurant--just time to get away on your own and focus on your dh.

#5 brehon

brehon

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1714 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

My dh's b-day is 24 December. I feel your pain. We were actually discussing this yesterday as my dd6's b-day is in early Dec.

In addition to my normal Christmas baking I make either an Italian Creme Cake or chocolate sheet cake for his b-day (he picks each year). This year I have 2 presents for him: 1 for Christmas and 1 for his birthday. We don't ever give each other more than 1 gift for either day due to budget constraints.

So, your dh -- I know nothing about disc golf. Is there a certain piece of equipment he'd like? Bag to hold his discs? Maybe monogrammed?

Handy -- one year I got my dh (also a very handy man) the Dremel with an add on set of attachments. Craftsman has come out with some neat looking tools lately: the hammer thing that fits in tight spaces or maybe the drill which does something similar? (I'm a real help, I know. :tongue_smilie:) Hmmm...maybe some clamps which work with angled and curved items.
Does he like woodworking (i.e. turning, etc) -- maybe a (relatively) inexpensive attachment for a lathe?

#6 Danestress

Danestress

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6925 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

I would think that a family tradition of a golf disc outing on Christmas Eve, complete with a birthday picnic would be a beloved memory for your kids, if not your DH.

I have a friend whose birthday is the 24th. Every year, her parents rented a rink for a ice skating party. It was a great favorite with all the families.

#7 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8197 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

Ohhh, there are some good thoughts here. I need to visit Lowe's.

#8 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8197 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

I would think that a family tradition of a golf disc outing on Christmas Eve, complete with a birthday picnic would be a beloved memory for your kids, if not your DH.

I have a friend whose birthday is the 24th. Every year, her parents rented a rink for a ice skating party. It was a great favorite with all the families.

Oh, you girls are good. A round of disc golf and a picnic - he'd love it.

#9 thescrappyhomeschooler

thescrappyhomeschooler

New Muggle Studies Teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8923 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

It's not the same as a dh, but my sister (who lives with us) has a bday on Dec. 29th. When asked what she wanted to do, she told me she'd like us to go to an Irish pub and drink some stout. I thought that sounded lovely!

For my goddaughter, whose bday is Dec. 26th, I give her a "gift certificate" for a day of fun to be held in January or February.

For these girls, the time doing something they like is a great gift. I think if you do the disc golf and picnic, that would be wonderful.

#10 Dayle in Guatemala

Dayle in Guatemala

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2991 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

My birthday is the 23rd and dh is the 30th so I can relate! We have gotten into the tradition (mostly because of budget during the holidays and having kids to buy for) of celebrating on Valentine's Day with a little bit of a nicer dinner out, maybe exchanging gifts, and even a little over night get away as well. It's been just a wonderful thing because then it isn't lumped into all the other holidays and, believe it or not, 4 other birthdays in our immediate family within those 2 weeks!

It makes it more special.

#11 sarawatsonim

sarawatsonim

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Both my dh and my dd6 have birthdays at the end of November and I am expecting our new baby any day now. So for a one month span we are going to have a lot of celebratory expenses. I usually get dh something he has said recently that he wanted (for his b-day) and for Christmas I generally use the year to plan and figure out slowly things that I can think of. My dh is a huge KISS fan and a huge collector so if I am out of ideas it's usually really easy to find some kind of KISS merchandise that would please him.

What's with the ads?