Menu

Teaching Company super-low prices right now?

OK, I don't get it. I had six items in my shopping cart, at unbelievably low prices, and just now when I clicked on my shopping cart again, the prices went way up! And when I look at individual courses, the prices are high again! What's going on? My once-$347 order became $1800!!!!! Not gonna buy now. Does anyone know why this happened?

Edited by Colleen in NS

Try re-entering the priority code and/or coupon code; sometimes they "fall out" if you wait a while between putting things in your cart and checking out.

Oh, and post the priority/coupon codes here, because not everyone gets the same codes in email. :D

Jackie

YAY!!! I just placed my order!!! What I did was go back to the e-mail they sent me and clicked on the link again, and the low prices showed up again! So I guess these low prices are only if you are on their mailing list and can click on that link? Or will this link work for other people: http://www.teach12.com/tgc/courses/CoursesByCategory.aspx?ps=910&ai=50113&id=42009347&cm_mmc=email-_-EMAILcyc20101209_50005-_-na-_-na

There was a coupon code in the e-mail, too: PT9H for 15% off your order of $100 or more.

So, I got $61 more off the already super low prices, but then I had to pay taxes and shipping to Canada, about $67. Oh well. I debated having them sent to a Stateside family member, but don't know when they'll be here again or when we'll be there. But I'm so happy to have finally been able to order the science courses I've wanted for so long!!!

Yet another resource I'd never have known about if it weren't for these boards!

YAY!!! I just placed my order!!! What I did was go back to the e-mail they sent me and clicked on the link again, and the low prices showed up again! So I guess these low prices are only if you are on their mailing list and can click on that link? Or will this link work for other people: http://www.teach12.com/tgc/courses/CoursesByCategory.aspx?ps=910&ai=50113&id=42009347&cm_mmc=email-_-EMAILcyc20101209_50005-_-na-_-na

There was a coupon code in the e-mail, too: PT9H for 15% off your order of $100 or more.

So, I got $61 more off the already super low prices, but then I had to pay taxes and shipping to Canada, about $67. Oh well. I debated having them sent to a Stateside family member, but don't know when they'll be here again or when we'll be there. But I'm so happy to have finally been able to order the science courses I've wanted for so long!!!

Yet another resource I'd never have known about if it weren't for these boards!

Colleen,

Thanks for the coupon code! You just saved me $40. I'm forever in your debt! :thumbup1:

Oh, boy, thanks a whole lot. :glare: ;)

Right before Christmas & I just blew $340 on stuff for this summer, next year, etc.

No, really, THANKS! I got everything at about 90% off instead of the normal 70%! I was able to load up on several things I've been eyeing for a long time.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great prices!

If the sale prices "fall out" you just need to re-enter the codes on the checkout page, it happens all the time. Clicking on the original email has the same effect of re-applying the discount codes.

And I would encourage anyone who's been thinking about trying a TC course to jump on it now, because these are BY FAR the lowest prices I've ever seen, and they apply across the board to all courses.

Jackie

You can always check retailmenot.com I have gotten good coupon codes for Teaching Company (and some others) there.

I always check retailmenot before I buy anything from the Teaching Co, but this code (50113) is taking an extra 50% off some courses that were already on sale at 70% off, plus you get a further 15% off on top of everything. In other words, a 36-lecture course that would normally be on sale for $100 is coming up at $50, and then you can deduct an extra 15% from that! The 24-lecture courses I bought ended up being about $30 each! Those are truly crazy prices for TC, and they apply to all the courses. I own about 80 TC courses, and I've never seen prices this low.

Jackie

Colleen,

Thanks for the coupon code! You just saved me $40. I'm forever in your debt! :thumbup1:

Yay!

Oh, boy, thanks a whole lot. :glare: ;)

Right before Christmas & I just blew $340 on stuff for this summer, next year, etc.

No, really, THANKS! I got everything at about 90% off instead of the normal 70%! I was able to load up on several things I've been eyeing for a long time.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great prices!

No kidding!!! That's what I was calculating - up to around 90% off!!

Oh, thank you! I'm so glad I stopped in this evening! I have had a couple of things sitting in my TC cart 'cause I couldn't afford to get them yet, but that a couple of the kids really wanted/needed for their studies this year... and with these prices + the 15% off coupon, I was able to not only get them within my budget, I was able to add a couple of other courses from the top of our wish list!

Thank you so much for sharing this! (and I need to remember to set aside extra $ for next December in case this is going to be an annual deep discount event!)

Yay!!! I know! I've been eyeing certain science courses for a couple of years now, so I was shocked last night when I clicked on the e-mail and saw the deep discounts in my shopping cart! (then they "fell out" and then Corraleno helped me pick them up again, lol)

If the sale prices "fall out" you just need to re-enter the codes on the checkout page, it happens all the time. Clicking on the original email has the same effect of re-applying the discount codes.

And I would encourage anyone who's been thinking about trying a TC course to jump on it now, because these are BY FAR the lowest prices I've ever seen, and they apply across the board to all courses.

Jackie

OK, so I was NOT imagining things - these really were super low prices?!?!?! I was going to trash the e-mail - I'm glad I didn't!! I remember posts here last year in December (but I thought it was a longer time period in Dec.) about really low prices, but I couldn't get them last year and I couldn't figure out how all the codes worked.

Corraleno, I don't quite understand what you mean about re-applying the discount codes. The only code I had was for another 15% off - I HAD to click on the original e-mail in order to get the low prices again, before I would apply the 15% off code. IOW, it was ONLY through the e-mail link that the low prices showed up.

You can always check retailmenot.com I have gotten good coupon codes for Teaching Company (and some others) there.

I checked there, too, and saw a free shipping code (that I don't know would apply to Canada anyway), and I couldn't enter it in after entering the 15% off code - it told me I could only use one code?

I always check retailmenot before I buy anything from the Teaching Co, but this code (50113) is taking an extra 50% off some courses that were already on sale at 70% off, plus you get a further 15% off on top of everything.

How did you enter two codes?? I did try the 50113 code after the 15% off code, but it wouldn't work.

Now I want to order some more......oh help me resist!!!

Corraleno, I don't quite understand what you mean about re-applying the discount codes. The only code I had was for another 15% off - I HAD to click on the original e-mail in order to get the low prices again, before I would apply the 15% off code. IOW, it was ONLY through the e-mail link that the low prices showed up.

How did you enter two codes?? I did try the 50113 code after the 15% off code, but it wouldn't work.

If you scroll to the very bottom of your email, it should say:

"If you prefer to call in to order, please mention priority code XXXXX to get these low prices."

Clicking the link in the email automatically applies the code, so it's essentially "pre-entered" when you go to the website. TC only allows you to enter one "Priority Code," which is a number, like 50113, and one "Coupon Code," which is either letters or a combo of letters & numbers, like PT9H.

The Priority Code determines what courses you get on sale (might be all history courses, or all science courses, or a special set of 50 courses, or rarely ALL courses) and the % discount, and then the Coupon Code adds something else like free shipping, or an extra 10% off orders over $100, or something like that. Not all emails or catalogs include a Coupon Code in addition to the Priority Code, so I always hunt around online to see if I can find a free shipping code, or something for an extra 10-15% off.

Something that many people don't realize is that different people will get different emails, with different codes in them. Often people will post here that "TC is having a big sale on all science courses" or whatever, and not realize that without the Priority Code that came in their email, no one else will see the same sale prices when they go to the website.

Jackie

If you scroll to the very bottom of your email, it should say:

"If you prefer to call in to order, please mention priority code XXXXX to get these low prices."

Clicking the link in the email automatically applies the code, so it's essentially "pre-entered" when you go to the website. TC only allows you to enter one "Priority Code," which is a number, like 50113, and one "Coupon Code," which is either letters or a combo of letters & numbers, like PT9H.

The Priority Code determines what courses you get on sale (might be all history courses, or all science courses, or a special set of 50 courses, or rarely ALL courses) and the % discount, and then the Coupon Code adds something else like free shipping, or an extra 10% off orders over $100, or something like that. Not all emails or catalogs include a Coupon Code in addition to the Priority Code, so I always hunt around online to see if I can find a free shipping code, or something for an extra 10-15% off.

Something that many people don't realize is that different people will get different emails, with different codes in them. Often people will post here that "TC is having a big sale on all science courses" or whatever, and not realize that without the Priority Code that came in their email, no one else will see the same sale prices when they go to the website.

Jackie

Aha, now all that makes sense to me! Thank you for explaining. I'm going to tag this thread, if it's not tagged already. This will be really helpful to me in the future.

And BTW, for anyone still interested in ordering - this sale ends today!! I clicked on the link a little while ago and the prices were still low - so I imagine midnight east coast time will be the deadline.

I always check retailmenot before I buy anything from the Teaching Co, but this code (50113) is taking an extra 50% off some courses that were already on sale at 70% off, plus you get a further 15% off on top of everything. In other words, a 36-lecture course that would normally be on sale for $100 is coming up at $50, and then you can deduct an extra 15% from that! The 24-lecture courses I bought ended up being about $30 each! Those are truly crazy prices for TC, and they apply to all the courses. I own about 80 TC courses, and I've never seen prices this low.

Jackie

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks!

I've been wanting How to Listen to and Understand Great Music for my ds for a couple of years! Got it for $84.95 with the discount. Plus got Physics in Your Life

Oh no, stop! These are two more I would love to have bought, along with the more basic music one (I can't remember the title)....LOL, seriously, I'm glad you benefitted.

Couple more hours left, people! :D

Jackie

Are there any chemistry recommendations you could make?

They only have one chemistry course (High School Chemistry) and it gets mixed reviews. It's mostly math and really meant to be used as a supplement. I wish they had a chemistry equivalent to Physics in Your Life, like Kitchen Chemistry or Caveman Chemistry (boy would I love to see that guy do a TC course! :D)

If I were allowed to choose the next two courses for TC to produce, I'd choose a "Chem in Your Life" sort of course and World Geography. I think those are two really big holes in their catalog.

Jackie

They only have one chemistry course (High School Chemistry) and it gets mixed reviews. It's mostly math and really meant to be used as a supplement. I wish they had a chemistry equivalent to Physics in Your Life, like Kitchen Chemistry or Caveman Chemistry (boy would I love to see that guy do a TC course! :D)

If I were allowed to choose the next two courses for TC to produce, I'd choose a "Chem in Your Life" sort of course and World Geography. I think those are two really big holes in their catalog.

Jackie

Jackie,

My son is currently LOVING the Physics in Your Life course. If you loved it at your house, too, then do you have a recommendation after that? (I do have the chem and think it'll be helpful for chemistry problems, but agree it's not the same interest level.)

Julie

Jackie,

My son is currently LOVING the Physics in Your Life course. If you loved it at your house, too, then do you have a recommendation after that? (I do have the chem and think it'll be helpful for chemistry problems, but agree it's not the same interest level.)

Julie

We love Impossible: Physics beyond the Edge, but found Physics of History a bit boring. We'll get back to Physics of History at some point (maybe watching individual lectures as they pertain to topics we're studying), but we weren't into watching it every day.

Jackie

Jackie

Oh well, that is too bad. I already order the Physics on your recommendation. Are there any other courses you think are must haves?

Jackie

This ties in interestingly with what a couple of us were discussing on the holistic education thread, which is that chemistry textbooks seem to be in a similar position -- getting lukewarm reviews and not much loved by professors or teachers compared to some excellent biology and physics textbooks that exist. I wonder why in the world this should be so?

Thanks so much - I got two courses that I've been wanting for some time now - one on Human Anatomy (for my daughter) and another on Philosophy and Mathematics (for me). I almost bought them a few months ago but stopped myself - but at these prices I couldn't resist. I got both for $112 including shipping.

Thanks so much - I got two courses that I've been wanting for some time now - one on Human Anatomy (for my daughter) and another on Philosophy and Mathematics (for me). I almost bought them a few months ago but stopped myself - but at these prices I couldn't resist. I got both for $112 including shipping.

You're welcome! Glad I could help people get deals there.

Oh no, that's one of the ones I ordered! I was hoping it would be useful to me to understand chemistry better....

I like it. I think it's one course that's really meant to go along with a high school course and help.

The Physics courses we were discussing are not really meant to replace or supplement high school texts (although we use them that way sometimes). They are meant to draw in and engage.

Just different purposes, not bad or good, IMHO.

Julie

I called to place an order today (12/14) and got a better price on my order than was shown on the on-line sale price. I used the code Mona shared, 5011. that in mind you might want to call to place an order rather than doing it online.

So glad I saws this thread.

Thanks!

Deb

I like it. I think it's one course that's really meant to go along with a high school course and help.

Oh, OK - that is the reason I ordered it, so I'm glad to hear this.

I called to place an order today (12/14) and got a better price on my order than was shown on the on-line sale price. I used the code Mona shared, 5011. that in mind you might want to call to place an order rather than doing it online.

So glad I saws this thread.

Thanks!

Deb

bumping up this info.! I wonder if that code would still work on the online order form.

Wow! I told my DH that he is covered for Christmas, my birthday, and Valentine's day. :001_smile: I am fairly new to these courses but I've been very happy with what we've used to date. Thank you for the heads up about the sale. I'm not sure I got the rock bottom prices but it was still pretty good! I picked up several courses that I've been looking at for awhile.

Margie

I got my box yesterday!!!!!! So exciting.

I watched the first four lectures in the chemistry course last night, and I did like them. He overexplains things at times, and I needed that! LOL. What I really like is how he explains the logic and thinking behind "working out" chemistry problems - this is what I NEVER understood in my high school chem course - I was one of those students he talks about, who thought I was a chemistry idiot, who thought it was such a hard course. So, four lectures in, I have some hope for myself so far....

Wow, my box arrived yesterday.

I'm trying not to peek back at the sale, that would surely add to ordering more. :001_smile:

Where is the jumping up and down icon??:hurray::hurray: Oh there they are! Did you open it yet, did you did you?? :D

Wow! I told my DH that he is covered for Christmas, my birthday, and Valentine's day. :001_smile: I am fairly new to these courses but I've been very happy with what we've used to date. Thank you for the heads up about the sale. I'm not sure I got the rock bottom prices but it was still pretty good! I picked up several courses that I've been looking at for awhile.

Margie

Very exciting, eh?

:hurray:Yes:hurray:! And there was a nice surprise included with the Night Sky, a Planisphere...My ds is looking forward to starting Monday...I thought we would hold onto them until next year:D. LoL I did order 6 courses and I'm considering ordering more. I have a feeling my ds will insist on completing all three of the science courses before next fall.

Thank you for the Chem review. I'm considering that one for my dd and me.

I got my box yesterday!!!!!! So exciting.

I watched the first four lectures in the chemistry course last night, and I did like them. He overexplains things at times, and I needed that! LOL. What I really like is how he explains the logic and thinking behind "working out" chemistry problems - this is what I NEVER understood in my high school chem course - I was one of those students he talks about, who thought I was a chemistry idiot, who thought it was such a hard course. So, four lectures in, I have some hope for myself so far....

Where is the jumping up and down icon??:hurray::hurray: Oh there they are! Did you open it yet, did you did you?? :D

Very exciting, eh?

Colleen is a TC addict, Colleen is a TC addict! ;)

hahaha! I've never ordered from them before! I have waited for years to be able to order the science courses I wanted - I could NOT pass up the rock bottom prices - I'd never seen them that low before. We are totally enjoying the astronomy one right now - 96 lectures!! Ds keeps begging me to let him watch more. I tell him he has to wait til *I* have a chance to sit down! We have been squeezing them in here and there.

I'm going to check out the sale one more time.:)

Didja get anything else?? And are you still seeing those rock bottom prices??????? (oh please say no, so I won't go look again - there *are* others I'd love to have....)

Oh, I wished I'd come by here and read this earlier.

I knew about the 70% off and free shipping, but none of the other perks, and have already ordered.

Ah well! :)

We're enjoying some basic dvds, one which has my DH very excited: "The Joy of Mathematics". We'll have to put some of those science ones on a wishlist for next time, I think!

With those last codes - the prices are still really good. :tongue_smilie:

Colleen thank you so much for letting us know about this! You're also in trouble for letting us know about this!!!! :D At one point I had my cart up to almost a thousand dollars! :svengo: It took me forever to remove just about everything from the cart. :lol:

Does anyone have a free shipping code to add onto this??? :D

With those last codes - the prices are still really good. :tongue_smilie:

Colleen thank you so much for letting us know about this! You're also in trouble for letting us know about this!!!! :D At one point I had my cart up to almost a thousand dollars! :svengo: It took me forever to remove just about everything from the cart. :lol:

Does anyone have a free shipping code to add onto this??? :D

:lol::lol: A **thousand** dollars at those sale prices?? Where were you thinking of storing all those things? :D

See if WNTR still works for free shipping.

Didja get anything else?? And are you still seeing those rock bottom prices??????? (oh please say no, so I won't go look again - there *are* others I'd love to have....)

No, I didn't order more. I'm still hoping for another super sale deal as the end of the year approaches. You know, after Christmas sales:D.

I'm still hoping for another super sale deal as the end of the year approaches. You know, after Christmas sales:D.

Oh, no, REALLY?!??!?!?! Does TTC do that?? Y'know, I thought so...it seems to me that last year it was after Christmas when I was seeing the thread here about super-low prices, but I'm not sure - I hope they don't go even lower than what I bought for!! Although, if prices go that low again, I might just have to poke around some more in their science and math courses....