Menu

How to guide a child interested in computer graphic arts?

My 17yo is majoring in Arts and Technology next year when she starts college.

She went to programming camps where she learned how to design computer games every summer from 12yo to 14yo (camp was only for 11-14yo kids). When she started taking classes at the cc, she took Drawing I and II (her ATEC degree requires Drawing) and Digital Imaging. She LOVED her Digital Imaging class.

Thanks Angie!

Had a "duh!" moment when I read your post and went to check out a few colleges in our region to see what classes they took and needed for their graphic arts programs. I had no idea half of it was art related with drawing, painting, sculpture, art history, etc!

I will check out local community ed. programs and such to see if there are any computer related classes, now that I have an idea what kind of classes they need for graphic arts.

Thank you so much for your help!

My 17yo is majoring in Arts and Technology next year when she starts college.

She went to programming camps where she learned how to design computer games every summer from 12yo to 14yo (camp was only for 11-14yo kids). When she started taking classes at the cc, she took Drawing I and II (her ATEC degree requires Drawing) and Digital Imaging. She LOVED her Digital Imaging class.

My dh does this. Adobe Creative Suite, Quark Express (like InDesign in Creative Suite, but dh likes Quark better). And web design wouldn't hurt, its all heading that way. You can purchase these at quite a discount being a homeschooler (educational discount). There is a design school about an hour away, we show homeschool proof, and get the software at their bookstore. Also, this is on a Mac computer, they do sell for both, but by and large, these professionals use the Mac.

My son (13) has been taking online "classes" through VTC Online. He's finished Corel Painter 11 and Corel Draw and will be starting Toon Boom after Christmas. He's crazy for computer graphics and he really loves the online videos. Painter more than Draw - just because he likes the teacher better.

He's getting an Intuos tablet for Christmas...that was pretty much the only thing he asked for. :001_smile:

Dot, yes, I would like to know the name of the 3D animation "thing" your son is doing. :) No hurry, hope your son gets to feeling better.

Thank you so much for your help!

I, too, don't know much about graphic arts, but my son went from PhotoShop to SketchUp and GIMP, which are both free. He then used something called Alice, and now is doing some 3D animation thing he downloaded for free, but I can't remember its name. If you like, I can ask him later, the poor guy is in bed with a bad sore throat now.

Do you all know how blessed I feel to have such wonderful people willing to take the time to help me out like this? I was kind of leaning towards a program available at our local high school, but there are so many great ideas here that I see there is a lot we can do on our own-or dd can do on her own. Hugs to you all for being so kind and helpful!

The one piece of advice you haven't gotten is to have your dd study basic drawing. The computer is just a tool, just as a pen or brush are tools, and you can't get very far without solid drawing and painting skills. It isn't just just basic drafting and perspective, but light sources, color theory, anatomy and everything else that us non-artists can't think of!

My dh is an artist, and many of his friends made the switch to doing art for computer games because they had the skills -- the eye if you will. They were computer illiterate, but learned on the job, and learned quickly.

Hey Toon Boom is local to me, and I know some of the developpers. This used to be my career.

That's cool! I went to art school when I was a teenager but ended up being a scientist. Sometimes I wish I had been born later to have the graphic arts opportunity that kids have today.

I am hoping to learn Toon Boom myself if I ever get some free time next year - it looks really fun!