Menu

To those thinking of moving...

My son highly suggests you check the National Merit Qualifying scores!

http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html

He's noted to me that had we lived in 30 other states he'd have made National Merit Scholar (including his native state), but since we moved to a higher state (actually, a more "middle" higher state) he has likely missed!

He's joking, of course, at least out loud... but considering we could have moved anywhere in the US we wanted to when we moved, I guess he has a point!

My son highly suggests you check the National Merit Qualifying scores!

http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html

He's noted to me that had we lived in 30 other states he'd have made National Merit Scholar (including his native state), but since we moved to a higher state (actually, a more "middle" higher state) he has likely missed!

He's joking, of course, at least out loud... but considering we could have moved anywhere in the US we wanted to when we moved, I guess he has a point!

By the time that comes around for us, we hope to be international, with a plan B of New England boarding schools.... so DS better plan for the 220s!! ;)

I can't help but wonder what the score would be if they made homeschoolers their own group like the NE Boarding Schools or International...

Don't even mention the possibility of homeschoolers being put into their own group!!! That would probably disadvantage a lot of homeschoolers. Of course, for my kids it probably wouldn't matter anyway since we live in the state with the highest cut-off, but I'd hate to see other homeschoolers negatively impacted....

Brenda

Two out of my 4 kids that have taken it so far would have made National Merit if we lived in a different state. I couldn't talk my husband into moving to Mississippi for one week in the fall each year. Part of the irony is that my now senior son would have been given full ride scholarships if he was actually from any of the 4 out of state colleges he is applying to (in those states he would have been NM and the state schools give full rides to NM scholars). He was only three points away in our state and so will probably have a higher PSAT score than many of those getting said scholarships. But you can't tell I noticed.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I went to a workshop by Mr. Stobaugh and he claimed that your zip code can also affect how easily you are accepted to Harvard and such. He said that because he was from an underserved zip code like Arkansas I think, he had a much better chance of being accepted than an East Coast student with the same scores and such.

I never thought "standardized tests" would be that way, tho!

Julie