Menu

Nationwide-how many NMSF are homeschooled?

Is there any data that would tell how many NMSF/NMF were homeschooled when they took the PSAT? I know many might have been homeschooled at some point, but I'm particularly interested in the numbers that were homeschooled when tested. I also wonder what percentage of those homeschooled juniors that are tested actually make it to NMF status.

That is an interesting question! I wonder if that guy who researches homeschooling issues has tracked this? (how is that for vagueness? grin) One thing that might skew the data is homeschoolers in CA. We homeschool through our local private Christian high school. We have a specific number that we use with the college board - not the homeschool code. So, according to the cb and the state of CA, my son is a student of JCHS, rather than an independent homeschooler. But, we are definitely homeschoolers - we choose and pay for all our curriculum. Our umbrella school serves as our interface with the state of CA and keeps our records. So, all that to say, collecting data might be challenging on homeschooled NMFs! (at least in CA!) But, I would love to know the answer! (sorry my response is so scattered - I am so excited about my son coming home and my other son's scores I really am not terribly coherent today!)

Blessings,

April

I found this

Homeschoolers Earn National Merit Scholarships

Homeschoolers are making their presence known in the National Merit® Scholarship Program. The National Merit® Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in 1955. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the PSAT/NMSQT® and by meeting published program entry/participation requirements. Approximately 1.3 million initial entrants are screened per year.

Each year, about 16,000 students nationwide qualify as semifinalists. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has announced that 250 of 2004's semifinalists are homeschool students.

The National Merit Scholarship has also seen a dramatic increase of homeschoolers who place as finalists. Of the 248 homeschoolers among the 2003 semifinalists, 129 of these students advanced to finalist standing, receiving the National Merit Scholarship. As noted by Kate Grossman, a reporter with the Chicago Sun-Times, the number of homeschoolers receiving National Merit Scholarships has increased more than 500 percent: from 21 in 1995 to 129 in 2003.

I found this

Homeschoolers Earn National Merit Scholarships

Homeschoolers are making their presence known in the National Merit® Scholarship Program. The National Merit® Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in 1955. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the PSAT/NMSQT® and by meeting published program entry/participation requirements. Approximately 1.3 million initial entrants are screened per year.

Each year, about 16,000 students nationwide qualify as semifinalists. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has announced that 250 of 2004's semifinalists are homeschool students.

The National Merit Scholarship has also seen a dramatic increase of homeschoolers who place as finalists. Of the 248 homeschoolers among the 2003 semifinalists, 129 of these students advanced to finalist standing, receiving the National Merit Scholarship. As noted by Kate Grossman, a reporter with the Chicago Sun-Times, the number of homeschoolers receiving National Merit Scholarships has increased more than 500 percent: from 21 in 1995 to 129 in 2003.

Thanks for that info! Personally, I think that number would be a bit higher now. ALL the NMSF I know are homeschoolers which is a big part of the reason why we chose to homeschool our own and are supplementing my youngest (who chose to be back in school).

I know we had the "expectations/bar" thread. I still think, homeschoolers, as a group, exceed ps even if we can all name off those that have lower (than ours) standards.

That's fantastic! I would bet, too, that the actual number is a bit higher based on April in CA's information. Around here, though, most homeschoolers do not have their students take the test. The only reasons I've been given about that are: 1. It's too expensive, and 2. Their student won't be NMF anyways so why take the test. But of those I know who have tested, I know of 4 who have made NMF.

I've tried to explain that it is a good introductory test for the standardized tests their students will have to take to get into college, but I just can't seem to get the point across. Most hser's I know around here only have their student take the ACT once or twice. Most don't bother with the SAT.

I've tried to explain that it is a good introductory test for the standardized tests their students will have to take to get into college, but I just can't seem to get the point across. Most hser's I know around here only have their student take the ACT once or twice. Most don't bother with the SAT.

The ACT is still much more common in the mid-section of the US than the SAT, and presumably, the PSAT. Here in Michigan, all public school students take the ACT as part of the Michigan Merit Exam.

My oldest daughter was one of that small number of homeschooled students who received a National Merit Scholarship in 2003. She graduated from high school in 2003 & from college in 2007.