Menu

Do you REALLY need algebra for biology?

DD13 is scheduled for an online Apologia Biology class next year. She is currently using CLE7, with the intention of starting algebra next year. I am switching to Saxon math next year, and there's a chance I may decide on Algebra 1/2 instead of Algebra. I'll need to do further placement testing at the end of the year and then we'll decide.

It's my understanding that algebra is a prerequisite for bio, or at least should be taken along side. Would being in Algebra 1/2 cause a problem?

Again, this is all speculation until I actually decide what math to put her in, but I feel like she doesn't have the solid grounding in algebra I'd like and don't want to rush into algebra before she has the tools to succeed. Another option would be to target her weak areas on work on them over the summer.

thanks so much!

lisa

Many students take Algebra I in conjunction with Biology. From that standpoint, it is not a prerequisite. Many students in dd's Bio class have not taken it, and their performance has not been adversely affected in any way.

I'm glad to hear this. I was hoping we could do this. Thanks!!

The only real issue with taking pre-algebra and biology at the same time is that you then have to decide what to take next year, when she's taking algebra 1. She can't really do chemistry or physics concurrently with algebra 1, so you'll have to figure out something else.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The only real issue with taking pre-algebra and biology at the same time is that you then have to decide what to take next year, when she's taking algebra 1. She can't really do chemistry or physics concurrently with algebra 1, so you'll have to figure out something else.

:iagree:She will not have any trouble with Biology but you'll be limited in what she can do the following year. I think the only other option with Apologia for the following year would be Marine Biology.

Why do you say that? ... not trying to be confrontational, just confused. :bigear:

It's a way of tracking without calling it tracking. At the local high school here, algebra I (with a B or better) is a prerequisite for all of the AP track sciences.

I think that biology and then marine biology would be good plan and then follow up with chemistry.

As for the gatekeeper thing, OH YEAH! There are a couple of kids in our town that are brilliant thinkers in terms of history, writing...they are phenomenal poets. But, they can't take AP history or literature because they didn't pass algebra 1 with at least a B. GRRRR........

Have I mentioned that our local school district is completely ridiculous??

Faith

You could do bio and prealg, and then take a year for environmental science and "simple" astronomy--astronomy that is less mathy, like Astronomy Today offers. Then in 11th and 12, after she's had algebra, take chem and chem 2 or physics (or bio 2).

All to say you CAN do an upper-level science concurrently--agree the options are limited, but there are options. :001_smile: