Menu

Logic for 5th grader just leaving ps

I was considering starting him with Building Thinking Skills and the MindBenders puzzle books. He has never studied "formal logic" before, although he does word searches and cryptoquotes and various little puzzles like that. He likes it, so I thought we would start out very lightly.

However, I just read a thread where some people didn't really recommend the BTS series, and that was for a first grader! Now, I know logic begins in the middle years, and I don't want to start him on something too challenging, but I don't want it to be a joke, either. What level is in the neighborhood for a ten-year-old? Is there a better program? I have ZERO experience (and therefore input) in this particular area.

Thanks!

So, do you think it would be prudent to start with Logic Countdown? It says grades 3-4. The reviews read like the three books go very well together, and I don't mind if it is a fun, simple program in the beginning, but I don't want it to be too childish--I'm afraid he'll balk. Can you start in the middle of this series without losing too much? Also, should I still get a Mindbenders book, or do you think that is redundant? Forgive my absolute ignorance. I am SO glad I found this forum and TWTM before we started homeschooling!!!!!!!

I was told they could be started at grade level. I started with the middle one with my 10 year old. He had done similar things before.

You could always try the first one and whip through. Is he the type to get annoyed? My son figured out quickly that discretion is the better part of valor AKA don't tell mom it's too easy or she will fix that.

I was told they could be started at grade level. I started with the middle one with my 10 year old. He had done similar things before.

You could always try the first one and whip through. Is he the type to get annoyed? My son figured out quickly that discretion is the better part of valor AKA don't tell mom it's too easy or she will fix that.

That's funny! I don't think he's thought about it from that perspective before, but I bet he figures it out fairly quickly. I think there's a lot to be said about building their confidence while challenging them at the same time. I guess it's a fine line. He's never done that type of study before formally, but he's a very bright kid, so I'm wondering. I shall ponder......

I was considering starting him with Building Thinking Skills and the MindBenders puzzle books. He has never studied "formal logic" before, although he does word searches and cryptoquotes and various little puzzles like that. He likes it, so I thought we would start out very lightly.

However, I just read a thread where some people didn't really recommend the BTS series, and that was for a first grader! Now, I know logic begins in the middle years, and I don't want to start him on something too challenging, but I don't want it to be a joke, either. What level is in the neighborhood for a ten-year-old? Is there a better program? I have ZERO experience (and therefore input) in this particular area.

Thanks!

I am doing these with my 5th grader, but I am using the cd-rom versions. She is doing level 2 of BTS - yes some of it is easy but she says some activities are getting more difficult. She loves doing the mindbenders A1-A4). I also had her do the Mindbender Warmup workbook and although it is below 5th grade - I thought it was helpful; my oldest also did it in 5th grade. All theses are recommended in TWTM 3rd Edition.

I can check, but I think we did the B and part of the C book Mindbenders last year. As you say, don't go too easy. Go to CBD and look at some samples to guage for yourself. It's very kid-specific. Have you gone to a teacher supply store? I was just in one today, and they had all the common logic materials. I thought the Grid Perplexors and regular Perplexors looked fun, but dd still prefers the Mindbenders. They have another kind called Logic Links I'd like to try with her. It has circles. She has been playing some kind of Chocolate Fix game from Mindware in her VT sessions, and I'll probably get that too. It's in the same vein. Good to branch out and do visual as well as verbal logic.

So now, you're not crazy. Kids are all different, and too easy will waste your money. There's sort of a pleasant point where the sweat beads and their eyes pop out. That's when their brain starts to expand. :)

So, do you think it would be prudent to start with Logic Countdown? It says grades 3-4. The reviews read like the three books go very well together, and I don't mind if it is a fun, simple program in the beginning, but I don't want it to be too childish--I'm afraid he'll balk. Can you start in the middle of this series without losing too much? Also, should I still get a Mindbenders book, or do you think that is redundant? Forgive my absolute ignorance. I am SO glad I found this forum and TWTM before we started homeschooling!!!!!!!

I just ordered this series for my dd10 who just left ps in October. Even though Logic Countdown is for grades 3-4, this is what Rainbow Resources has to say:

"The final book builds on the foundation of the first two books, and adds logic diagrams and logical fallacies. You should really start your student(s) at the beginning of this series to get the most benefit from it, but they can progress through it as able."

Since my dd has had almost no logic, save a few pages of BTS, I plan to have her begin with Countdown and proceed from there.

FWIW, although I do have BTS and like it, I think dd could benefit from a little more hand holding. My feeling is that BTS is geared towards a student who has been previously exposed to beginning logic.

HTH

Yes, I can see how it builds. In fourth grade my son worked through a similar book that was meant to be used from K-4. Obviously, the K stuff was waaay easy but we just did the entire thing from begining to end. It had many different examples of logic problems.

If we hadn't done that the year before I wouldn't have started my son in the middle.

FWIW we are 3/4 of the way through the middle book right now and it suddenly got HARD today. It has been a fun challenge every time before, something he did as his 'treat' during school. Today there was much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. He was moaning," I can't belive I wanted to do this. I used to love this book!" Oh, woe is he.

Since it isn't all that expensive, I may go ahead and order the first two books of the Blast Off series. It doesn't seem really childish from what I can tell. I can sort of watch and learn as we go through it and see how he takes it. Live and learn, I guess. I already started off two easy with the spelling, and he's done half the book, but he likes being able to do it and likes to tell me how easy it is. Since we are just afterschooling for another couple of weeks, I figure he will just about be finished and we can start on the appropriate level.

Thanks.

We did these and started at the beginning last year. My 10 & 12 year old enjoyed the first book. I'm not sure they noticed the grade level on it until we were well into it and they already knew they liked it. We did book 1 & 2 last year and finished book 3 this year before moving on.