Menu

finger knitting?

I don't know, but i came across this:

Finger knitting

Finger knitting is a simple form of knitting in which yarn is knitted into a shorter but thicker twine. As its name suggests, the knitting only uses the hands during the entire process.

Uses

Finger knitting has been used to prepare to teach children how to knit traditionally, with needles. It shows the child that knitting involves a series of loops strung together, which helps in their future understanding of knitting. Because of its simple execution, it is ideal for this purpose, as its concept can be grasped even by small children, and continued without aid. Finger knitting has also been practiced on airplanes that prohibit knitting needles.

---

And on a Waldorf site:

Begin With Finger Knitting

Finger knitting is an easy introduction to handwork that requires no equipment beyond fingers and yarn, and is a good starting point as part of the homeschool curriculum. Once mastered, finger knitting is a soothing activity that allows children to create their own little scarves, belts or ornaments. For highly active or excitable children, knitting can be a great tension reliever during seatwork or story time.

My favorite tutorial is on youtube.

TIPS: Use fat fluffy yarn. Spread your fingers wide. It will look perfect.

For thinner yarn, we double it.

Lastly, I've crocheted long pieces together for a thicker scarf.

Susan

ETA - oh. you can make traditional scarves or funky scarves just to accessorize an outfit (ribbon is very "cool" looking according to my 9 year old, she uses 3 colors). you can make bracelets, headbands, etc.

Edited by susankenny

My favorite tutorial is on youtube.

TIPS: Use fat fluffy yarn. Spread your fingers wide. It will look perfect.

For thinner yarn, we double it.

Lastly, I've crocheted long pieces together for a thicker scarf.

Susan

ETA - oh. you can make traditional scarves or funky scarves just to accessorize an outfit (ribbon is very "cool" looking according to my 9 year old, she uses 3 colors). you can make bracelets, headbands, etc.

Do you have a link to that tutorial?

I don't know how to crochet to turn it into anything. So would I just be let with a long piece of thick yarn?

For some reason, I can sew really well, but knitting and crocheting I have never been able to figure out. I would really like to! I don't know anyone who knits or crochets to teach me though.

Do you have a link to that tutorial?

I don't know how to crochet to turn it into anything. So would I just be let with a long piece of thick yarn?

For some reason, I can sew really well, but knitting and crocheting I have never been able to figure out. I would really like to! I don't know anyone who knits or crochets to teach me though.

You can learn to crochet & knit from youtube too. TONS of tutorials are available for you. Also, you could buy the Knifty Knitter loom. Seriously, anyone can use that!:D

Here's the youtube video for finger knitting:

It looks thin in the video, but honest, with different yarn it is lovely. Lots of fun!!! The Knifty Knitter uses the same concept as finger knitting. I own the round set of looms and the long set. Love both!

Susan

My husband dd and I are finger knitting garland for the Christmas tree and then I will use that to start a blanket for my daughter then finger knit again next year and add to the blanket so she can have an afgahan of memories and then see how much better her work got thru the years

I saw a youtube where they used double finger knitting to make flowers

I used it as a stepping point to using the loom. We are making our own Christmas stockings.

You can finger knit to make hair bands and necklaces/bracletts

We did finger knitting with loops yesterday and I blogged about it! My bonus student/ Cuppycake made herself a very cute scarf.

is the youtube video we watched.

I also finger knit a scarf out of thick yarn yesterday. You definitely have to double it up, but it was fun to make.

is the video I watched. (eta: I see this is the same one posted before!)

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

Finger knit a skein of yarn twice, add 2 eyes and a tongue, and you've got a wonderful toy snake. ;) Made it a couple of times in high school.

I'm not sure if I understand what knit it twice means. Does it mean to finger knit it once, take what you knitted and then use that like yarn and knit it again? Thanks!