Menu

A Beka pre-algebra vs BCM or Saxon

I bought BCM to use with my son this year, but decided not to at the last minute. The pages are very "busy" with small print. It was a little overwhelming for a 6th grader. We switched to CD pre algebra, but it's not working well for him. He is definitely a "Saxon kid" - he told me the other day that he hates learning a concept and then having to do a "ton" of problems that focus on the same type of problem. He loves the set-up of Saxon (learn something new each day, only do a few problems and then lots of review of what he's learned). Soooo, I bought Saxon pre algebra to use after Christmas. I found a site that has reviews of popular math texts that the public schools use - Saxon pre algebra earned an "A". http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com/books7j.htm

I don't have any experience with Abeka, but my good friend who homeschools her kids and teaches calculus at the local university loves Abeka for early grades, but does not recommend it for pre-algebra and up. (I've forgotten why she doesn't recommend it.)