Menu

X-post... Letter of Recommendation help??

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, so I'm cross posting here and on the College Board sub-forum.

Is there a protocol for asking someone for a letter of recommendation? Specifically, a cc professor.

Ds is planning on applying for a summer opportunity and the application process begins in mid-Feb. He has taken two courses with the same prof (one this summer and one this fall--- final exam next week--courses are 101 & 102 levels).

What we would *love* to have is a letter specifically for the summer program's application and a general one for when he applies to college~~~ ds is only 15 and in the 10th grade (not sure if prof knows this), so there is a lot of time for the prof to forget ds which is why we're thinking of a 'general' letter to file away.

I guess I'm mostly asking *how* does ds go about asking this of his prof~~especially the writing of two letters? He's planning on asking prof during office hours, but other than that, he is not sure of what to do (me either, as I never needed a LOR). Also, if the prof writes a letter(s), is there a 'thank you' of sorts that ds should provide/follow up with?

Advice? :bigear:

Thanks in advance!!

Professors are used to this question. Just ask and then give a date when you will pick it up by (a month -6 week away) Don't ask during midterms or finals.Your just putting it in a file, but if you wanted the prof to mail you'd give them a prepostaged addressed envelope. If you want specificthings noted( how he works with others, how good is he at thework, does he demonstrate leadership, then give him a letter asking him to address some of these things. A thank you card is always nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ds asked his prof and the prof was quite willing to write a letter, so ds was thrilled. Ds will send an e-mail early Jan to remind him (per prof's request) as ds needs the letter mid-Jan.

I'll also make sure ds writes a thank you letter ~~ should he mail it to the CC or should he hand carry it to his prof (he will no longer be that prof's student as he has taken both classes the prof teaches)? I was thinking the thank you would be given at a date after ds picks up the letter (like when he actually applies for the thing he wants roughly two weeks later) rather than on that day. Or should it be on the day he picks it up? Ack! So much to consider!

Thanks again!