Menu

Transition mid-year to ninth? Need Pros/Cons

I am trying to make a decision what to do. The school approved that I may put son in ninth mid-year so no problems there. However I guess he would always change years mid-year, so he would be in ninth until next January and then start 10th, etc. The arguments I have so far for moving to ninth after Christmas break are:

He is finishing module 16 of Physical Science, can start Biology- generally ninth.

He is in Module C of Videotext Algebra, and doing alright with it.

He is doing American Histroy along side 10th grade DD.

He is doing same English online program that dd did last year in ninth.

Okay, so those are some reasons, academically why he could certainly move ahead. He wants to as well, but maybe to just say he did or because some friends did.

So what is holding me back? I am not sure, but here are a couple of ideas. He does have trouble with memorizing and I fear he will not enjoy Biology becasue of it and this will be hard for him because sister wasa a whiz at it, although she hates Chemistry this year.

I fear getting to 12th too quickly and that he will not be ready.

I just need feedback as I am sure I am overlooking other pros/cons.

Please help,

Kathy

I started Ds in school right when he turned five (August birthday). Although he did well with his schooling, it always took him forever to do it and the struggle did not put him in a good frame of mind. Fast forward to 11th grade. It caught him. The math and science and higher thinking was very difficult. He got good grades, but it all took him forever to do. He was stretching to far. I rearranged his grades, made 11th into 10th, and we did two more years. He wanted to. It was a good decision for us. He is doing very well in college now. So, putting your ds ahead, please look at other things besides academics, how fast/efficient is he? How quick does he catch on to a newer difficult concept? Where is he at emotionally?

Although my ds is younger, we've looked at advancing him a grade. We have it planned so that he COULD skip and still have a decent transcript. He is also an older 7th grader at 13, with a September birthday.

However, it's just not the subjects we're looking at, it's a maturity in his studies overall. Here are some of the criteria I put before my son, some may or may not apply to your situation. We won't make the final decision until next school year and I'll probably add a few things.

It order to consider grade advancement the following items must be addressed and solved to the teacher's satisfaction:

_ Organizational skills must be an acceptable level.

How to use a weekly assignment sheet

How to plan, implement, and complete a project within a time frame

How to ask questions when anything is unclear

_ Reading on a consistent basis without having to be reminded (this is an issue for us)

_ How to complete lessons independently when required

_ Completion of all assigned subjects for 7th grade

_ Advancement in effort and ability of writing

_ How to engage in a discussion on an assignment and voice your perspective on the topic.

_ How to summarize what you have read on your own (written and orally)

_ How to give an oral presentation (topics and audience to be decided)

_ Effective time management during school hours

_ Advancement in typing abilities

_ Ability to format papers correctly

_ Ability to show math work when required

_ Beginning ability in notetaking from a lecture (live and DVD). Understand what is important to note and why.

_ Display an elevated maturity in effort regarding your studies

_ How to use reference materials for research

HTH

Personally, I see no reason to move a child ahead unless he truly is matured and academically-minded enough to seek interaction with older materials/teachers.

My oldest started K at age 6, graduated at almost 19, didn't start college until almost 20, and he is now doing well as an engineer. Waiting didn't hurt him at all. On the other hand, I have a sister who started K at 4, didn't think she was smart enough to go to college until about age 27, and did well from there on in. Just two vignettes, but I can't see how an earlier education helps. I admit that I'm a better-late-than-early type of gal.

Julie

Personally, I see no reason to move a child ahead unless he truly is matured and academically-minded enough to seek interaction with older materials/teachers.

My oldest started K at age 6, graduated at almost 19, didn't start college until almost 20, and he is now doing well as an engineer. Waiting didn't hurt him at all. On the other hand, I have a sister who started K at 4, didn't think she was smart enough to go to college until about age 27, and did well from there on in. Just two vignettes, but I can't see how an earlier education helps. I admit that I'm a better-late-than-early type of gal.

Julie

Good point--every dc is different. On the other side, I had a friend who started K at 4, graduated 1 semester early (so, Jan shortly before her 17th birthday) and happily set off to Cornell. She was motivated & mature. I have one brother who would have done better had he lived where the school cut off is Aug 31 instead of Dec 31. My sister, OTOH, graduated with her age peers, but then took 2 years off to work & travel before going to university for the long haul of becoming an MD.