Menu

Transcript Pro---has anyone used this? Could you give me additional info., please?

I use Edu-Track software for logging my homeschooling hours, but as I noted on a previous post, I'm disappointed in the fact that Edu-Track doesn't "weight" hours. For example, a grammar test and quiz are given the same "weight" in a child's overall grade.

Since all my records are already on Edu-Track, I don't want to completely re-do all of the records (i.e., with Homeschool Tracker, although it sounds like a better software).

Does Transcript Pro help "weight" grades? Does it actually replace Edu-Track or HS Tracker, or can you use it in addition to either of those two programs? In other words, can I use it essentially to record grades, assign different portions of "weight" to different courses (i.e., Dr. Wile of Apologia Science recommends that labs be assigned a weight of 35% and tests a weight of 65% of a child's overall grade for the year).

If my kids do any honors-type courses, does it also assign a greater "weight" to those overall courses? I'm unfamiliar with this process, but I think high schools give a greater weight to honors courses, so that an "A" in honors biology is worth more than an "A" in home economics.

If there's any additional information someone can give me about this program, I would be very appreciative!

I have used Homeschool tracker and Transcript Pro. They really are different tools. Homeschool Tracker (and I think Edu[track) is used through out the year to record individual grades on different assignments for different classes. I have an older version of HST, so I'm no sure about the latest and greatest grade weighting capabilities. Transcript Pro has you enter the class after it is completed with a final grade. It does allow you to determine your GPA scales, but I don't see a place to weight a grade. I think you would do that as you entered the grade itself. I have used it to keep an on-going log of extra-curriculuar activities, so that by Senior year, I am not scurrying around to remember what we did Freshman year. It does produce a nice looking transcript and you can make changes up until you indicate it as your final transcript; then no more changes can be made.

HTH,

Becky in TX

but didn't use if for the transcript. I wanted semester grades and also ds took some honors/weighted classes which it did not do. I ended up using a transcript that someone posted a long time ago in word format. I had to calculate the weighted and unweighted averages myself but that wasn't too hard.

the weighted and unweighted grades.

I assume "weighted" means honors-type courses? If so, my oldest has probably just a couple.

But, how do you figure out percentages throughout the year? For instance, with Apologia Chemistry and Biology, 65% of the grade is for tests, and 35% of the grade is for labs.

So, if there are 16 tests (1 for each module) and 16 labs (let's assume we did one per module), how would I figure that out?

(Sorry, maybe it's just too early, but my math brain is tired!)

Find the test grade average by adding the scores and then dividing by the number of tests.

Find the lab grade average by adding the scores and then dividing by the number of labs.

Multiply the test grade average by 65% (.65).

Multiply the lab grade average by 35% (.35).

Add those two numbers together to get the weighted average. If the student has a 100% average on both componenets, his or her weighted average would be 65 + 35 = 100.

the weighted and unweighted grades.

I assume "weighted" means honors-type courses? If so, my oldest has probably just a couple.

But, how do you figure out percentages throughout the year? For instance, with Apologia Chemistry and Biology, 65% of the grade is for tests, and 35% of the grade is for labs.

So, if there are 16 tests (1 for each module) and 16 labs (let's assume we did one per module), how would I figure that out?

(Sorry, maybe it's just too early, but my math brain is tired!)

to get the GPA. The local school is like this -

Regular -

A=5 pts.

B=4 pts.

C=3 pts.

D=2 pts.

F=0 pts.

Honors & AP -

A=6 pts.

B=5 pts.

C=4 pts.

D=3 pts.

F=0 pts.

They actually also have base course pts. scale which are a point lower than the regular, mostly for LD students. They are for courses that take 2 years to complete - Alg. 1, Geometry, and a couple others.

Within each course, you weight the parts however you want to come up with the grade. Then weight the course if you want. Some people do, some don't, it is just a matter of what you want to do. On the apps that ds filled out, some had spaces for both weighted and unweighted GPA. Some schools will recalculate it anyway (using only core courses).

Does that help?

I don't know why, but my math brain was completely disconnected this morning!

I'm going to be working hard over the next couple of weeks, trying to get a transcript together for my oldest and middle daughters. We're considering enrolling them in a private school that's about a 30 minute drive from us. My husband and I think it's time that I go back to school to get a master's degree, since he had some health difficulties in the fall. I'm not sure if I can homeschool and go to grad. school at the same time!

At any rate, I need to do this work, regardless of what we decide to do! I just wish we had a classical Christian school in town, or close by, but there doesn't seem to be any movement in that direction.

Thank you both so much for your help! :)