What's with the ads?

Photo

Need a chicken pot pie recipe that makes its own crust & uses canned chicken...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 PentecostalMom

PentecostalMom

Trying to follow the Son...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2878 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have searched the threads but cannot find one that isn't complicated. I used to have one that used frozen mixed vegetables, flour, cream of chicken soup....and I cannot recall what else or the amounts. Please help!

#2 Sasharowan

Sasharowan

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

I make one with canned biscuits for the top. Boil chicken, debone(if boned), chop up, add diced boiled potatoes, diced cooked veggies (I usually add a can of carrots and peas, add a can of cream of chicken soup, cover with biscuits and bake until brown on top, usually at 350 for 30-40 min. You can also mix up a biscuit mix and use that.

THT

#3 PentecostalMom

PentecostalMom

Trying to follow the Son...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2878 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I make one with canned biscuits for the top. Boil chicken, debone(if boned), chop up, add diced boiled potatoes, diced cooked veggies (I usually add a can of carrots and peas, add a can of cream of chicken soup, cover with biscuits and bake until brown on top, usually at 350 for 30-40 min. You can also mix up a biscuit mix and use that.

THT

I don"t have canned biscuits and am trying to use the food we have in preparation for a 10-day vacation.

#4 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6949 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

make a gravy or roux with chicken broth. Pour that over the veggies and chicken. now mix 1 cup flour 1.5 tsp baking powder and .5 tsp salt in a bowl. Mix in one stick of melted butter and enough milk to make a soft dough. Drop by spoonfuls over top of the gravy and veggies. Bake at 350 till browned on top (usually takes me about 30 minutes if I remember correctly)

#5 Hen

Hen

Creative minds are rarely tidy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

this is one I've been using for years, my family loves it. It is for refrigerated biscuits, but I would think you could make some from a mix or from scratch and use those.

Vegetable and chicken pot pie

1 tb margarine or butter
1 cup chopped celery
1 (10 1/2 oz ) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 (16 oz bag frozen vegetables-combination broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) thawed
1 1/2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 (10oz) can refrigerated biscuits

in large skillet, melt margarine. Add celery and stir over medium high heat till crisp-tender. Stir in vegetables and chicken, heat through. spoon into 12 x 8 baking dish.

heat oven to 375 degrees. separate dough into 10 biscuits. cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. arrange biscuits over hot filling. bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

my notes:

I use fresh veggies, I use broccoli, celery and carrots. When I crisp the celery in butter, I like to use rosemary with it, yum. I sometimes use canned chicken, it works, but I do prefer fresh-cooked. I double the sauce, and because I use fresh-cooked chicken, I probably use more chicken. The biscuits, I do different things with, depending on what I have/mood.

:001_smile:

#6 Melissa in CA

Melissa in CA

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3492 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

I have one that I got here, I believe. It makes it's own top crust using self-rising flour, pepper, butter and buttermilk. Very yummy. Let me know if you're interested and I will post it. Don't have time right now...gotta run!

What's with the ads?